I'm giving my laptop away because ithat would help my dad who just moved cities. In return, I get my desktop upgraded. Well, I say upgrade, but it's basically a total overhaul.
Decided on the following common peripherals:
- 500GB SATA HDD
- 4GB 800Mhz DDR2 RAM
- Creative Sound-Blaster Audigy 7.1ch
- SONY DRU-170C Dual-Layer DVD-RW
- Have a 17" WS LCD Display already.
Need help, however, in choosing the Processor and GPU. I've come up with a list of three models each that fit in my budget, but I'm not very knowledgeable about these things, so choose one of each.
AMD X2 6400+ @ 3.2Ghz vs Core 2 Duo E8400 (3ghz) vs. Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4ghz)
Geforce 8800GT vs Radeon HD3870 vs Geforce 9600GT (All 512mb Vram)
- Superior video processing. Should be able to deblock, denoise and sharpen H264 720p effortlessly. 1080p at a decent quality too. I've heard the 8800 doesn't support the PureVideo technology that the 8600 and, consequently the 9600 support. The Aviva technology that the Radeon has, I've heard, is superior.
- Not very keen on high-end gaming, so Crysis benchmark results are worth as much as dog poo. Should run mid-level games (VT3, GTA:SA level) at a decent framerate at high resolutions. Should not cause any problems with the next-gen versions of sport games that will hit the market soon.