Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nepal - Newest republic of the world

Nepal - Newest republic of the world

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...om-palace.html

"His 1.5 million annual allowance, and those of 16 other former royals, has been abolished. He has lost the services of 600 domestic staff.

His temporary new home will be a former royal hunting lodge on a forested hill outside the capital. It is on loan from the government, which nationalised it in August, until he finds a new place of his own. ....

Gyanendra is believed to be a rich man. He is estimated to have 100 million worth of investments in Nepali businesses ranging from hotels to cigarette factories, as well as significant assets abroad."

------------------

Congratulations to NEPAL and its people all over the world and welcome to the world of Democracy.

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Well yes, if that's what the people wanted, fair enough - but are Britain, Holland, Sweden and Denmark not democracies too?

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    Well yes, if that's what the people wanted, fair enough - but are Britain, Holland, Sweden and Denmark not democracies too?
    Are you aware of what Mr Gyanendra has been up to with Nepal for the last few years?
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    I've read a little here and there - I was just taking issue with the suggestion that abolishing the monarchy was a pre-requisite for democracy. TBH I haven't heard much about Gyanendra since that nasty shooting business a few years back.

I suppose he got off lightly compared to the Shah (and the Tsar)

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Hmm Tsar had it tough with him and his whole family killed.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Best flag has Nepal.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I've read a little here and there - I was just taking issue with the suggestion that abolishing the monarchy was a pre-requisite for democracy. TBH I haven't heard much about Gyanendra since that nasty shooting business a few years back.

I suppose he got off lightly compared to the Shah (and the Tsar)
    You either have to abolish the moarchy or abolish their power. In the end, the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International 12th Man Shaggy Alfresco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Congratulations to NEPAL and its people all over the world and welcome to the world of Democracy.
    We'll see how long that lasts with the Maoists in power.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Alfresco View Post
    We'll see how long that lasts with the Maoists in power.
    Why should it matter, Now that the power is in the hands of the people of Nepal. I am not a believer in communism but in this case I believe that Maoists are going to do well for Nepal and its people. They have already taken a step forward by abolishing the Monarchy which was nothing but plundering the Nepal nation and filing their coffers.

For years Nepalese people have suffered firsts at the hands of the Kings and then at the hands of the pseudo democracy that was practiced by Nepal Congress Party.

Never suggested any such thing. My post/thread/viewpoint is only in the context of Monarchy and its Role in Nepal polity in last 50 years.

cpr
    They have already taken a step forward by abolishing the Monarchy which was nothing but plundering the Nepal nation and filing their coffers.
    Thought that was the role of a democracy?
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Thought that was the role of a democracy?

Why should it matter, Now that the power is in the hands of the people of Nepal. I am not a believer in communism but in this case I believe that Maoists are going to do well for Nepal and its people. They have already taken a step forward by abolishing the Monarchy which was nothing but plundering the Nepal nation and filing their coffers.

For years Nepalese people have suffered firsts at the hands of the Kings and then at the hands of the pseudo democracy that was practiced by Nepal Congress Party.
    Why let a bit of anti-monarchy rant get in the way of facts.

Nepal has been democratic since 1990(when democracy was re-introduced by King Birendra). If the people then chose to elect monarchists to power then why hold that against the monarch?

Secondly, people of the subcontinent seem to always go back to some or other form of monarchy, whether it is a King or a ruling family like the Gandhis, the Bhuttos the Scindias etc.

To say that the Nepal monarchs plundered the nation is total rubbish and akin to saying that the British Royal Family plundered Britain. Royal families gather wealth over the 500 odd years that they rule over the nation.

Whether Maoist rule for Nepal is a good thing or not will be seen in the next 4 years, and I am willing to eat my hat if they do anything worthwhile.
    During the 'civil war' that they started, they would force recruitment much in the way that happens in Sierra Leone by kidnapping children and brainwashing them. They also forced poor villages to give them all their food grains and these are not just my claims....look up the BBC website if you want. I doubt if such morons are capable of any good.
    Last edited by sirdj; 14-06-2008 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sirdj View Post
    Why let a bit of anti-monarchy rant get in the way of facts.

Nepal has been democratic since 1990(when democracy was re-introduced by King Birendra). If the people then chose to elect monarchists to power then why hold that against the monarch?
    I take it you have not really been following Nepal Politics then.

Secondly, people of the subcontinent seem to always go back to some or other form of monarchy, whether it is a King or a ruling family like the Gandhis, the Bhuttos the Scindias etc.
    Its just so idiotic to compare monarchy with political parties run by members of a particular family. It just doesn't matter dear, Indira was thrown out or power, So was Rajiv. People have the ultimate power.

To say that the Nepal monarchs plundered the nation is total rubbish and akin to saying that the British Royal Family plundered Britain. Royal families gather wealth over the 500 odd years that they rule over the nation.
    Gyanendra has been the king for only 6-7 years and it is rumored that his total wealth is about 200 Million USD.
    Besides in a small poor country like Nepal, spending 10 Million a year on the monarchy is plundering the wealth.

Whether Maoist rule for Nepal is a good thing or not will be seen in the next 4 years, and I am willing to eat my hat if they do anything worthwhile.
    During the 'civil war' that they started, they would force recruitment much in the way that happens in Sierra Leone by kidnapping children and brainwashing them. They also forced poor villages to give them all their food grains and these are not just my claims....look up the BBC website if you want. I doubt if such morons are capable of any good.
    I am not a supporter of any political establishment in any country. If the communists dont meet the expectations of their people, they would be thrown out of the government. Power of the people.

I take it you have not really been following Nepal Politics then.
    Ok if you wish to split hairs then it was a constitutional democratic monarchy.
    Gyanendra only took absolute control as the Maoists were running riot and the elected government was not handling the situation to his liking. It was not as if he was trying to take his country back to the dark ages as you seem to insinuate.

Its just so idiotic to compare monarchy with political parties run by members of a particular family. It just doesn't matter dear, Indira was thrown out or power, So was Rajiv. People have the ultimate power.
    Looks like you have very little idea about Indian politics, if the Gandhi family is not like a royal family then why is Rahul Gandhi being addressed as the Rajkumar??

Gyanendra has been the king for only 6-7 years and it is rumored that his total wealth is about 200 Million USD.
    Duhhh............he inherited all the wealth of the Nepalese Royal family when his idiot nephew king for 3 days died.

Besides in a small poor country like Nepal, spending 10 Million a year on the monarchy is plundering the wealth.
    I would take any such reports and declarations by a Maoist committee with a huge fist of salt.
    Please quote any neutral source of this information or retract your statement.

I am not a supporter of any political establishment in any country. If the communists dont meet the expectations of their people, they would be thrown out of the government. Power of the people.
    Now your naivete is really showing. Tell that to the poor chaps in Cambodia who suffered under the Khmer Rouge. Really Sanz I expect better of you.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information