Thread: The Compact Discotheque

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.

The Compact Discotheque

An ambiguous title for an ambiguous thread.

Basically, I'm looking to find some decent music out there, and I thought it might be a good idea to share your knowledge of bands that you know, that very few people have ever heard of.

Basically, just note down some bands that you like that you don't think many other people would know, with the name of their best song (in your opinion).

If anyone out there knows how you can (legally) link to a song, so that it can be listened to with relative ease - let me know. Also, try and give the name of a more famous band that they may be considered similar to, if you can

Here's a few examples from me:

The Subliminals - Uh Oh - unknown (long, rhythm driven songs)
    The Verlaines - Pyromaniac - Dunedin Sound
    Mo*ho*bish*o*pi - Drop Jaw - short, punchy Indie-rock
    Preston School of Industry - Falling Away - Pavement-esque (obviously, given who's in them)
    Number One Cup - The Low Sparks - a bit like They Might be Giants or Mercury Rev

I'm sure I have a few others up my sleeve when I think of them...
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Lyndon Lai Tan - For The End. Fine, fine alternative rock. But you won't get ahold of the music by any legal means, as it's a Trinidadian band and therefore a total unknown outside of Trinidad.

So yea, this post is pointless.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Halo James - Could Have Told You So

About the only likely-to-be-not-very-well-known band I've heard of and like a song from TBH.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    So yea, this post is pointless.
    Nah - might try and track it down; give it a twirl. There's always a *legal* way

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Nelson - I Say You Can't Stop - White Rose Movement, although that isn't a great description as i'm going to include them shortly

The Stills - Still in Love Song - A slightly twee Interpol

White Rose Movement - Speed - Joy Division/Depeche Mode cross is what they're described as usually

Broken Social Scene - Fire Eyed Boy - Canadian twee superband, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! but with someone that can sing.

Apples in Stereo - Same Old Drag - Of Montreal maybe, they're in the Elephant Six thing with Neutral Milk Hotel who are big and all those bands sound the same.

Suburban Kids with Biblical Names - Rent a Wreck - Swedish Twee, not a million miles from B&S

The Owls - Everyone Is My Friend - Sounds like all the other Kinsella bands, Last.FM claims they sound like MGMT, but no, not really.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

DeVotchKa-- Croatian-folk tinged indie from Denver. They've been picking up a following and recently appeared on Later With Jools Holland. They have a Myspace, their best song is The Clockwise Witness.

Tinariwen- the North African bastard children of The Clash and Hendrix, a superb blues rock band from Mali, already superstars of the African music scene but I'm not too sure how many people have really heard of them. They have a Myspace if you're interested.

Mariza- A superb Fado singer from Mozambique via Portugal with a spine-chillingly brilliant voice. Her best songs are the Fado classics Barco Negro, Primavera and Ha Uma Musica do Povo.

Armenian Navy Band- World Music Award winners, a very entertaining group from Armenia who play jazz-tinged self described "avant-garde" music. Again, they have a myspace. I think their best song is "My Door Is Open To Everybody" but that is not available there.
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Pinball Champion!
    Karen Zoid - Definitely my favourite musician.. She is dual lingual, releases songs in both English and Afrikaans, and whenever I introduce her to my friends in England they, for the large part are hooked.. Male/Female Black/White, she releases music that seems to cater for everyone.. True SA role model, it's just a tragedy that she isn't more raved about worldwide, or maybe thats a good thing..

www.myspace.com/karenzoid

Freshlyground - Will be doing the music for the 2010 world cup.. Doo bee Doo being one of the most catchy songs ever, although probably equally as annoying.. Anyone has been to SA won't have gone outside without hearing it blared from somewhere or other

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=83336251
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

HDS,

I can give you my phone number. Whenever you feel like listening to quality music just call me up, I will sing some blissful and adrenaline-pumping numbers for you. I am sure that you won't have to listen to anyone else after listening to me....
    Yaju
    Self Proclaimed World's Greatest 12th Man.

I like wasting homo sapiens' time - like the way I wasted yours just now.

Quote Originally Posted by 5N1p3R j0C|<
    Why are you wasting time your reading others' quotes?
    Quote Originally Posted by DD
    <quack>

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    explosions in the sky

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Bombay Bicycle Club

The Hill, Cancel On Me, Open House, Pedestal. The whole lot really if I'm being honest.

I've finally managed to get a chance to listen to the suggestions above (though haven't tracked down Camps' T&T hit). Like the Yooooo Toobe links... Very good.

Probably the top one of those from my point of view was the Suburban Kids with Biblical Names. Listened to a couple of their other tracks. Good stuff, and quirkily Scandinavian.

Here's a few of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaIA7zKzWlE - The Phoenix Foundation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6pJ5wwwsZQ - The Verlaines
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODdQkj6Ien0 - The Mint Chicks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3xR-iFHLYY - Bike

Thread Information