Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Explosion(s) in Exeter

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar

Explosion(s) in Exeter

Little really known yet, the BBC providing only one indecisive report as of this post. I was in town earlier, however, and spoke to someone who had spoken to security-guards who (obviously) are in constant touch with the police, and apparently there's been more than one. Nothing on any national news anywhere I can find yet that reports more than that.

This might turn-out to be nothing much, but such incidents are, somewhat inevitably, alarming given recent history.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    bit alarming, how far out from the city centre do you live?

International 12th Man Shaggy Alfresco's Avatar
    I don't know why terrorists would want to bomb Exteter ahead of London, Birmigham or Manchester. I doubt it's a terrorist attack if that's what you're implying.

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Why is it that whenever there is any form of explosion terrorism is mentioned?
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    Why is it that whenever there is any form of explosion terrorism is mentioned?
    You may have missed it but terrorists (of many causes) have developed a reputation for blowing things up.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    But like shaggy said why would they target Exeter.

It seems incredibly odd indeed that a tiny little city like this would be targeted by terrorists of any kind. We still know very little, and initially it seemed pretty unlikely (it may still be so).

However, more than one bomb in the same city within hours or even minutes (which seems quite possible, though again I stress - not confirmed) cannot be symptomatic of anything else.

Is it Al Qaeda? Exceptionally unlikely. If only because their "plots" tend to be better-executed than this seems to have been (so far). But though some may have forgotten, Al Qaeda is not the only terrorist idea that exists.
    Last edited by Richard; 22-05-2008 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    bit alarming, how far out from the city centre do you live?
    A fair way these days, I'm nowhere near where any of the "activity" has so far happened. I'd not imagine, obviously, that our place is in any danger.

You can never really know, though.

PY
    10p says one of the metal recycling companies has crushed a gas canister. Had one go off in Nottingham and I was about 800m away and the floor rumbled.

Or there's been a gas explosion, so many options other than terrorism. If it was London however, I'd have very different musings.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Nah it was definately deliberate - gas explosion was my first thought when I first heard about it. But it was in a resteraunt FFS, those sort of places don't lend themselves to "accidental" explosions of the sort you mention. One blokey has so far been arrested.

Apparently there've been 5 bombs somewhere, about 4 or 5 people have said that to me so far, but still all we're hearing through official channels is that there was 1 that did and 1 that did not explode.

Security has been tightened at the airport, the bus station has been evacuated (this is very close to where the explosions happened).
    Last edited by Richard; 22-05-2008 at 01:49 PM.

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    But like shaggy said why would they target Exeter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It seems incredibly odd indeed that a tiny little city like this would be targeted by terrorists of any kind.

Cant be any smaller than Warrington, where the IRA managed to kill a teenager and a 2 year old in 94 (i think, might have been a bit earlier)
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

I said "it seems". Not "it is". No-one would think of either Exeter or Warrington as the sort of place terrorists would target, but the bastards have a way of surprising us, from time to time.

And BTW, I'm not at all sure of the relative land-spawn areas or populations. Warrington could perfectly conceivably be as big. Both, however, are very low-profile as terrorist targets go.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Very interesting, bloke who did it has been described the police as "a convert to Islam."

EDIT: Also that he had a history of mental health problems and was preyed upon by Islamic extremists who exploited his condition.
    Last edited by Jungle Jumbo; 22-05-2008 at 03:04 PM.

Really I don't know why anyone would be surprised that it's Islamic-extremist related.

How much terrorism (or threat thereof) from other sources in this country has been otherwise in recent years? The IRA's last act was quite a while ago now.

Apparently there'd been widespread belief that it was animal-rights-activist related. How stupid is it possible to be? Since when have animal-rights-activists made a habit of attacking (or attempting to) the public? It generally tends to get targeted at those responsible for pro-vivesection-ism.

Funny, texted a friend of mine (this girl in fact) at about 4 when I started to realise the seriousness of the situation (she works at Debenhams which is a couple of minutes walk from the resteraunt where the only confirmed explosion happened), and she didn't text me back until 7, because that's how long it took for them to be allowed back in to get their stuff post-evacuation.
    Last edited by Richard; 22-05-2008 at 03:41 PM.

we got our future prime minister shot by a animal rights activist...
    P.S. We beat England at Lord's
    Member of the RTDAS.
    Member of the ESAS - Edgar Schiferli Appreciation Society
    President of the DNAS - Dirk Nannes Appreciation Society
    Member of the CW Colts!

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think it's really disappointing of her - would only take a minute or two of her time....
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    Wishful thinking on your behalf.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information