Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: What mobile/cell phone do you own?

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    That is simply great. How is the speed ?

Agree with you though, Broadband is ridiculously expensive. I have to have it because I need wireless and high speed @ home.
    Surprisingly fast. The web pages load instantly, and I can stream videos and music just fine (Netflix, Hulu, etc). That's what I generally do, an don't notice a difference from broadband.

However, if I had multiple computers going at the same time, or if I was downloading gigabytes of data, it would most certainly be slower. The good thing for me is that since my university is literally a block away, I have a laptop and I can just go anywhere on campus and get the high speed wireless from there. I spend most of my time at the campus anyway, so at home I just need something that I use from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Flexi-Combat Champion! Tournaments Won: 1

Upgraded to this a few days ago. A million times better then an iphone I played with as the screen feels like a button (it clicks)
    No'ones gonna take me alive
    The time has come to make things right
    You and I must fight for our rights
    You and I must fight to survive

New Zealand Cricket Supporter

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Upgraded from the Omnia to a Nexus One a couple of months ago (imported from the US, not on sale here yet), couldn't be happier with it.

I am using Nexus One too !

Cricket Web Content Updater alternative's Avatar
    Same here. Love the phone.
    Member of the AAAS
    Member of CW Green | Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team | Northside Power

Manager of South Australia (WCC)

Winner of AFL Tipping 2006 | Winner of Wimbeldon Prediction 2006

Righty, am due an upgrade some point this month and am looking for some advice from some of the people who know a bit about phones on here. Namely NP10 as he knows a bit about Android phones but also the 3 posters above as the Nexus One is one I'm looking at.
    Basically to anybody, what's out that you would recommend, obviously there's the iPhone and Blackberrys but I'm not particularly keen on the latter one for one reason or another.
    Any help would be appreciated.

It really depends on what you want. In my opinion, the Nexus One is hands down the best phone available anywhere right now, but if you want something that works right out of the box and is similar, go for the HTC Desire. It has the Sense UI interface working on top of Android whereas the N1 uses the basic Android 2.1 interface. The positives to getting an N1 are that you'll get the OTA updates quicker than anyone else (next one is rumoured to be coming in mid-May) and if you want to play around with the phone, it's easy to root and you can experiment with it much more easily than with the Desire.

Of course, if you want a hardware keyboard, you can't look past the Motorola Milestone - another excellent Android phone (the phone np10 is using I believe) and I think it's updated to Android 2.1 now so you get multitouch and the like. Another option would be the Sony XPERIA X10 - it's running an older version of Android, but the hardware is good and it has a custom skin on top of Android that's a bit different. As you can tell, I'm a big Android fan - it's an excellent platform right now and is improving day by day, and the Android Market is growing rapidly so you can get just about any App you can think of there. I also think it's good to support the open source alternative if you can, and Android is certainly that.

I'm not sure how easy it is to get Palm devices in the UK, but another one I'd look at is the Palm Pre Plus. The future was looking murky for Palm until recently, but HP have bought them out and I think their mobile OS (WebOS) is excellent and should grow under HP. It runs like lightning and is quite innovative - it's unbeatable when it comes to multitasking imo. However, it's not that widespread and you won't find a great deal of apps for it.

Of course, there are Nokia and other Symbian phones around. I haven't had a great deal of experience with these but the new Nokia N8 looks good. I know the Nokia N900 is the ultimate geek phone, but if you're not looking to root/hack, it's probably not the phone for you. There are some Samsungs around that are quite good but I'm not familiar with them.

Are there any particular features you're looking for? Basically any high end smartphone should be able to do anything you want, but they each have their little foibles which could prove a deal breaker when you're spending a fair bit on a phone.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Have a ****house (minimalist in polite company) Nokia. Wouldn't trade it for the world. Some epic texts on that old thing.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Haha, never knew it was called the Milestone outside of the US. The N1 and the Droid/Milestone are Android's two flagship phones and get all of the updates first. I don't know anyone who uses N1 but it seems identical to the Milestone in operation.

Basically go for the N1 if you care about style as my phone's design is a bit clunky but the Nexus looks sweet but my phone's got a nice hardware keyboard. It also has the advantage of being a Motorola phone which means many of the accessories from other phones will work (saved me a bit of money as I had a z9 before this). In the US, its silly to consider the Nexus as an option due to it being carried by a ****ty phone company as opposed to the Droid which is carried by only Verizon, basically the best one out there for 3G coverage. Not sure what the situation is like in the UK though.

A couple of cheaper alternatives would be the HTC Eris and the Motorola Devour, again based on what you prefer. I've had experience with these phones and they're really nice. Devour actually has a better keyboard than my phone.
    RIP Craigos

Cricket Spectator
    Old good nokia 3510i

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar

Upgraded to one of these today. Currently have an iPhone 3G, and love it, but couldn't justify spending 90 to upgrade to the 3GS with the 4G just round the corner, so I've gone with the HTC Legend. It doesn't quite match the specs of the HTC Desire, but it looks nicer, and I'm a sucker for something that looks good (hence the iPhone and Macbook ownership), so I'm happy with it. Probably end up keeping it for about 3/4 months before selling and buying a Sim Free iPhone 4G.

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Haha, never knew it was called the Milestone outside of the US. The N1 and the Droid/Milestone are Android's two flagship phones and get all of the updates first. I don't know anyone who uses N1 but it seems identical to the Milestone in operation.
    Haha, still have to wait for Motorola to push the updates to the Droid/Milestone which they dithered on for Android 2.1 iirc - but yeah, you'd get updates quicker than the Desire or X10 for example. The other major disadvantage to the Milestone is it has a slower processor than the N1 and less RAM. In my experience, this doesn't translate to slower performance though unless you're really pushing the phone to the edge of its capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by King Pietersen View Post

Upgraded to one of these today. Currently have an iPhone 3G, and love it, but couldn't justify spending 90 to upgrade to the 3GS with the 4G just round the corner, so I've gone with the HTC Legend. It doesn't quite match the specs of the HTC Desire, but it looks nicer, and I'm a sucker for something that looks good (hence the iPhone and Macbook ownership), so I'm happy with it. Probably end up keeping it for about 3/4 months before selling and buying a Sim Free iPhone 4G.
    I got the Desire - absolutely love it! great phone, Android is a great piece of mobile software as well and the touchpad is pretty good and accurate, plus the internet speed and browser speed is very nice
    P.S. We beat England at Lord's
    Member of the RTDAS.
    Member of the ESAS - Edgar Schiferli Appreciation Society
    President of the DNAS - Dirk Nannes Appreciation Society
    Member of the CW Colts!

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think it's really disappointing of her - would only take a minute or two of her time....
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    Wishful thinking on your behalf.

Cheers for the info Dasa/NP. The 3 main ones you've spoke about were the main ones I was looking at; the N1 as it's touted as the best phone available, the Desire as it does everything that I want and I'm not sure I'd look into "rooting" the N1 and it felt nice when I had a look at one in town and finally the Milestone as I currently have a G1 and am not sure how I'd fare without a hardware keyboard.
    Will mull it over

International Vice-Captain Raghav's Avatar
    I got Motorola Milestone yesterday @ Rs. 30,000

Supported Indian Cricket from 1992-2000 (till the match fixing scandal)

Long Live Test Cricket

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information