• yes

16 69.57%
  • no

7 30.43%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is murder always wrong?

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar

Is murder always wrong?

Now I know society frowns on murderers but is it always wrong to take a life?
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Only if they're about to kill someone else/you, but then it's not really murder.
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamee999 View Post
    Only if they're about to kill someone else/you, but then it's not really murder.
    It's only wrong if they're about to kill someone?

So it's okay if they are just going about their business?
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

You know what I mean. That's the time where it's not wrong .

I think it's wrong to take a human life unless they irritate one in some way.

I love the mental imagine of society frowning on murderers. "Frowning" suggests mild disapprovement to me.

"Is that blood on your hammer, Peter? Tsk, you are a scamp..."
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Yeah.

"You've not shot ANOTHER one have you? No supper for you tonight!"

I agree with Jamee btw, murder is wrong unless in self-defence or if the victim's football team have beaten yours aided by a dodgy refereeing decision.

cpr
    Ah, the old argument of 'The Greater Good'

Firstly, self defence, if its a sheer choice between you or them, I can well understand taking the other life to preserve your own if that person has deliberately endangered yours.

However, Is it right to kill someone if they are about to murder someone else? As humans, who can only see whats in front of them, can we honestly judge an entire context of such a short exchange? Can we judge accurately that the person with the gun is bad and the person about to be shot is good? Who knows the history between the two, who's abused who, who's provoked what, is the murderer actually acting in self defence? Or are they under the influence of something out of their control, eg drink been spiked, been administered the wrong medication.... How can we accurately judge that person deserves to die.... What about under the influence of emotions. If the guy about to kill someone is actually acting in revenge, as his target murdered their wife, then who's the bad guy?

IMO, man shouldn't sentance death on another unless the death sentance is over himself if he doesnt.

Reminds me of a question we faced in school years back.

2 men are in a river, about to drown. Both are at deaths door, and your on the bank with 1 lifebelt only. You only have time to save one, the other will die.

The first is a famous scientist, he has been in the news with his remarkable research that will cure AIDS, he is days away from publishing his work, yet here he is, and ALL (and i mean ALL) his work on the subject is in his briefcase he's holding above his head (for those smartarses, he's handcuffed it to himself for fear of it being stolen.......)

The second is your only son. He's 18, about to go to university. He's got his whole life ahead of him, he is the most important thing in your life (your wife has passed on, you had testicular cancer a few years back which had them both removed, so you'll never be able to have anymore kids).

Who do you save?
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

still scratching around in the same old hole
    I can roughly define murder

"In common law jurisdictions, murder has two elements or parts:

1. the act (actus reus) of killing a person
    2. the state of mind (mens rea) of intentional, purposeful, malicious, premeditated, and/or wanton."

Much more difficult to define wrong though. What does wrong mean? wrong for who?

Id agree that murder should always be illegal but that doesnt mean that if you did unspeakable things to my family that as a husband and father the correct thing for me wouldnt be to seek murderous retribution.

The definition, context and perspective of 'wrong' is the debate.

What may be right for the individual may be wrong for wider society.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I can roughly define murder

"In common law jurisdictions, murder has two elements or parts:

1. the act (actus reus) of killing a person
    2. the state of mind (mens rea) of intentional, purposeful, malicious, premeditated, and/or wanton."

Much more difficult to define wrong though. What does wrong mean? wrong for who?

Id agree that murder should always be illegal but that doesnt mean that if you did unspeakable things to my family that as a husband and father the correct thing for me wouldnt be to seek murderous retribution.

The definition, context and perspective of 'wrong' is the debate.

What may be right for the individual may be wrong for wider society.

Aye, law does not equal morality and morality is subjective

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Muder is always wrong.

Killing someone is nearly always wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Ah, the old argument of 'The Greater Good'

Firstly, self defence, if its a sheer choice between you or them, I can well understand taking the other life to preserve your own if that person has deliberately endangered yours.

However, Is it right to kill someone if they are about to murder someone else? As humans, who can only see whats in front of them, can we honestly judge an entire context of such a short exchange? Can we judge accurately that the person with the gun is bad and the person about to be shot is good? Who knows the history between the two, who's abused who, who's provoked what, is the murderer actually acting in self defence? Or are they under the influence of something out of their control, eg drink been spiked, been administered the wrong medication.... How can we accurately judge that person deserves to die.... What about under the influence of emotions. If the guy about to kill someone is actually acting in revenge, as his target murdered their wife, then who's the bad guy?

IMO, man shouldn't sentance death on another unless the death sentance is over himself if he doesnt.

Reminds me of a question we faced in school years back.

2 men are in a river, about to drown. Both are at deaths door, and your on the bank with 1 lifebelt only. You only have time to save one, the other will die.

The first is a famous scientist, he has been in the news with his remarkable research that will cure AIDS, he is days away from publishing his work, yet here he is, and ALL (and i mean ALL) his work on the subject is in his briefcase he's holding above his head (for those smartarses, he's handcuffed it to himself for fear of it being stolen.......)

The second is your only son. He's 18, about to go to university. He's got his whole life ahead of him, he is the most important thing in your life (your wife has passed on, you had testicular cancer a few years back which had them both removed, so you'll never be able to have anymore kids).

Who do you save?
    An impossible and stupidly, absurdly cruel question that no-one should ever have to face, and hopefully no-one ever will.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    I think I'd go for family every time tbh.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I don't see how anyone could possibly know what they'd do, it's about the worst situation anyone could ever be put in TBH. As I say - no-one deserves to be. Think I'd sooner throw myself in too than have to make the choice, really. Maybe throw the lifeline to the scientist and jump in with my son.

I think instinct would make most people save their children. We can be selfless for lots of things but not when it comes to our kids IMO

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information