Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Everyone remembers where they were when..."

"Everyone remembers where they were when..."

So, where were you when you heard about all these so called events?

I remember hearing of Diana's death on the morning news, probably about 10am and everyone else in the family was out.

Twin Towers, I was up screwing around with some assignment, and someone on MSN told me that they'd attacked the White House, and I was like "Go away, I'm working". Kept on messaging me basically the same thing, thought it was a virus. Blocked the person. Got bored about 10 minutes after that and looked at the news on the net, and saw it.

Was sitting over my porridge when I read of Ned Kelly being apprehended in the Battle of Glenrowan.

Chuck your own events and stuff in.

99*
    Diana's death, was watching a movie when a ticker came up on the screen saying she had been in a car accident. About a hour later the news said she died.

9/11, was around 7 in the morning getting ready for school listening to a comedy radio station, they said something about planes flying into the twin towers, my mother said 'They aren't serious?' and me joking said 'Na they're having you on.' Turned the TV on about two minutes later to see a replay of them hitting the towers. When to school and we had a class lesson about it (teacher was American).

Others, um:
    Aryton Senna's death, watching the race live on TV my first memory of F1.
    Hillary's death, on the internet, went to bbcnews.com was the headline.
    Year 2000, in front of computer watching to see if it would glitch or whatever, then back to drinking.

Will think of more as they come up.

Was eating crumpets when I heard about Murphy's banning.

Cooked more crumpets itbt.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Was browsing cw when I first came to know what a crumpet is, 2 minutes ago.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    So, where were you when you heard about all these so called events?

I remember hearing of Diana's death on the morning news, probably about 10am and everyone else in the family was out.

Twin Towers, I was up screwing around with some assignment, and someone on MSN told me that they'd attacked the White House, and I was like "Go away, I'm working". Kept on messaging me basically the same thing, thought it was a virus. Blocked the person. Got bored about 10 minutes after that and looked at the news on the net, and saw it.

Was sitting over my porridge when I read of Ned Kelly being apprehended in the Battle of Glenrowan.
    Chuck your own events and stuff in.

I was in Kmart for Diana...just got home from uni and turned on ABC to 'When We Were Kings', walked into the kitchen, came back to the loungeroom and the attacks were on TV for September 11. Thought 'this isn't When We Were Kings', flicked through the channels and realised something was happening.

I actually shot Ned Kelly.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

International Coach
    I got home from an under 11 cricket match (no, I wasn't playing), and had walked into the living room when I heard that Liverpool had won their fifth European Cup.

25/5/2005, a sad day for football.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Was at school on the 7/7 bombings happened, we didn't find out until about 1pm, came as a real shock. Same with 9/11, although I was a lot younger, 7 I think, was at primary school.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

When Warney took his 700th, I was standing at the back of section M9 in the bottom level of the Southern Stand. I instantly went to the bar.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey View Post
    25/5/2005, a sad day for football.
    Trying your best to rival the Scousers in the bad loser competition, I see.

Di's death I heard of in school - we all gathered around in a ring for some reason. Never got the fuss, don't think anyone else did.

9/11 I was cycling home from school - got home with mum reading all kinds of news websites.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Was at school on the 7/7 bombings happened, we didn't find out until about 1pm, came as a real shock. Same with 9/11, although I was a lot younger, 7 I think, was at primary school.
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Was watching telly when I found out about Diana & 9/11.

For Diana I'd been on the lash the night before (it was a Saturday night I think) & turned on the box about 11 to wall-to-wall coverage.

I saw 9/11 unfold live, pretty much. I'd taken day off because my car was being MOT'd so was having lazy day of toss daytime telly when it all kicked off. Saw the second plane strike live.

For the 2005 Ashes I was on a training course in another office (Peterborough) on the fifth day at The Oval so didn't have comp access; one of me mates was supplying me with text updates. When Vaughan went just before lunch with the score at like 120-5 I thought we'd jizzed it away again. After it wound up at about 4 I ran back to my car, but then was too gutless to listen to it on the way home too despite our relative safety by then.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Trying your best to rival the Scousers in the bad loser competition, I see.
    Well, tbf we didn't really lose to them, though admittedly I was supporting Milan in the final.

FWIW I don't remember when I found out about Diana's death really, I just remember being extremely bored with the TV being stuck on the news channel literally all day. 9/11, came home from school and found it on the news. Again, probably because I was still quite young, I was bored with it being on the news endlessly, I thought at the time there's only so many times you can have death tolls and speeches by Bush rammed home.

Then the tsunami, was at the dinner table quite late on boxing day evening, was told my a grandparent, it being boxing day I had not watched TV or been on the internet to find out about it before then. I was in the kitchen (having turned the TV off out of nerves) when the phone rang and dad was on the other end telling me we'd won the European Cup.

I remember Diana's death vividly, I was extremely upset. Channel 4 were going to that Teletext news thing instead of the Pink Panther. (Hey, I was 4, I didn't give a ****.)

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Diana's death I came downstairs to be told of by my mother

9/11 I was on a free period in school. I was in U6, in the common room, one of the lads came over and said "guess what Palestine have done?! They've blown up the world trade centre"

As it emerged what really happened, any sixth formers on free periods just piled into lower school lessons in any room with a TV, nobody bothered to carry on teaching that afternoon

When we won the 4th Test in 05 was behind the bar in work discussing with a girl behind the bar how the reason I was on tenterhooks was because of the "one hand and the whole team's out" rule that had the match in the balance
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamee999 View Post
    I remember Diana's death vividly, I was extremely upset. Channel 4 were going to that Teletext news thing instead of the Pink Panther. (Hey, I was 4, I didn't give a ****.)
    Makes me feel old to hear of people who remember Diana's death being just 4 at the time. ****.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information