Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Guitar Thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar

The Guitar Thread

Time for some guitar nerdery, m'thinks. Post your gear set-up, recent aquisitions, questions about guitar stuff, hot topics, etc. I'll get us started;

My guitars

Ibanez Universe

Mike Stern Signature Yamaha

Casio MG-510 MIDI guitar

My Amp

My new pedal which will be arriving soon;

So, onto the state of guitar. Hybrid picking; going the way of the dodo? Are whammy bars already dead? What do people think of amp emulation; is spending a few grand on a Marshall stack a waste of money when you can buy a Pod instead? Let's hear what the shredders amongst us think!
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Stacks **** me; always have.

I just purchased an electric acoustic from a cheap mock brand called "Freedom". Read some reviews and they seem to all be favourable in their strat imitation guitars.

Don't have an amp yet; scouring Ebay for something.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Guitar pansies!

Bass is where it's at. I own a Warwick Rock Bass. Nice and red.

Shame it doesn't suit my style which lands somewhere between Lonnie Donegan and the Wurzels whilst aiming to reach the dizzy heights of the Verlaines or maybe the double trouble bass of classic Ned's Atomic Dustbin.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Its been six months now since I bought my first Acoustic. Started learning,and now i m at a stage where i dont kno what to do.. seeing the notes on guitar pro and then playing kinda gets monotonous afterwards. so now,i cant play very well,nor am i a noob...worst situation imo. What next? Can you guys hear a song and pick up the guitar and play it without sheet music?
    Member Of AAAS

Supporter of:
    Liverpool FC
    Ferrari F1
    Iron Maiden (Bombay.Feb 1st,2008...I was there)
    UP THE IRONS !!!

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!

Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Quote Originally Posted by nikhil1772 View Post
    Its been six months now since I bought my first Acoustic. Started learning,and now i m at a stage where i dont kno what to do.. seeing the notes on guitar pro and then playing kinda gets monotonous afterwards. so now,i cant play very well,nor am i a noob...worst situation imo. What next? Can you guys hear a song and pick up the guitar and play it without sheet music?
    Tend to have to look at tabs. I was in that situation for quite a while, too. Just ended up clicking one day and I could play again. Open chords, though; never been able to play barre. Got stubby fingers

Quote Originally Posted by age_master View Post

haha, even I can play that guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Tend to have to look at tabs. I was in that situation for quite a while, too. Just ended up clicking one day and I could play again. Open chords, though; never been able to play barre. Got stubby fingers
    Yeah I've been playing for a couple of years now and still can't do barre. Really frustrating, I keep finding tabs for songs I really want to play but I can't.

So I end up just playing riffs instead, getting almost decent at a couple. Knights Of Cydonia is a really fun one, it sounds much more difficult than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    Yeah I've been playing for a couple of years now and still can't do barre. Really frustrating, I keep finding tabs for songs I really want to play but I can't.

So I end up just playing riffs instead, getting almost decent at a couple. Knights Of Cydonia is a really fun one, it sounds much more difficult than it is.
    I'd say that most likely your problem is your wrist position, lots of new players bend their wrists awfully when trying to play barre chords resulting in them being unable to put any pressure on the strings at all. Try and keep your wrist strong rather than wrenching it around to try and get your fingers down. Kinda hard to explain, but when I was learning I found that after a while of not being able to barre anything it suddenly came to me pretty much overnight.

Anyway, I've got one of those crappy Fender knock-offs, along with my Dad's pretty wasted old acoustic, and a pretty good classical guitar. What I really want though, is one of these:

Mmm, gorgeous. That's number 1 on my list of things to buy once I graduate.
    He’s thrown a kettle over a pub, what have you done?

- Gareth Keenan from "The Office"

*****Winner***** of the 2006 FIFA World Cup predictions thread...see you in four years' time?

International Captain Agent TBY's Avatar
    Fender Telecaster

Gibson SG

GB&A Acoustic

Have a Marshall40 for my Amp, and use the Korg AX3000G. Had a Zoom 707 before that, though.
    orz

Wishlist:

It's almost orgasmic.

cpr
    Got some knock off fender copy, rare that i play it, just never been bothered to put the hours in.

Anyone fancy buying a cheap left handed guitar?
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Got some knock off fender copy, rare that i play it, just never been bothered to put the hours in.

Anyone fancy buying a cheap left handed guitar?
    hmm, left handed...gun

currently looking to buy a left handed bass for around 150 euro plus i'm willing to pay around 100 for an amp...
    P.S. We beat England at Lord's
    Member of the RTDAS.
    Member of the ESAS - Edgar Schiferli Appreciation Society
    President of the DNAS - Dirk Nannes Appreciation Society
    Member of the CW Colts!

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think it's really disappointing of her - would only take a minute or two of her time....
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    Wishful thinking on your behalf.

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Redman View Post
    I'd say that most likely your problem is your wrist position, lots of new players bend their wrists awfully when trying to play barre chords resulting in them being unable to put any pressure on the strings at all. Try and keep your wrist strong rather than wrenching it around to try and get your fingers down. Kinda hard to explain, but when I was learning I found that after a while of not being able to barre anything it suddenly came to me pretty much overnight.
    Interesting...

I was playing "Teenage Kicks" the other day. One of the easiest riffs ever, but one of the coolest
    Member of the Newtown Cricket Club since January '06 - "Per commissum ad taberna"
    Honorary Vice-President of the "Twenty20 Is Boring Society"

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Baaaaaaaaaass ftw. Especially if you can slap remotely well, makes you sound better than you are. Friend who's a bassist said 'yeah i cbf learning slap so i got a massive pedal system to do that for me'. Yeah, i'm better than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information