Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The Guitar Thread

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Having trouble perfecting Taylor Swift's Love Story on Guitar Hero 5.

Discuss.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Arch fingers more.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Ofcourse!

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Think I'll be selling my guitar. Any tips on selling it from anyone? It's pretty much a mint condition Yamaha CPX500 old violin sunburst.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

What! You only bought it a few months back didn't you?

Anyway, eBay. Consider yourself lucky if you get half your money back, though.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    What! You only bought it a few months back didn't you?

Anyway, eBay. Consider yourself lucky if you get half your money back, though.
    Whattt? Half the money. FFS.

I just never really use it TBH, seems like a load of money just sitting there doing nothing. Might as well keep it if you get less than half back..

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Whattt? Half the money. FFS.

I just never really use it TBH, seems like a load of money just sitting there doing nothing. Might as well keep it if you get less than half back..
    Welcome to guitar, man. Unless it has vintage value, yeah half price. TBH, if you're not in a rush for the $, maybe you could get a sucker to pay more than that for it but, in my experience, without vintage value, selling a guitar is almost pointless.

For example, I once tried to sell my 7-string Ibanez Universe. New, they weren't going for any less than $5k at the time. It makes me shudder now but I had it going for $1200. And still didn't get a nibble. So glad, though.

Hang onto it. Never know.

Cricket Web Staff Member
    Just got a charcoal PRS Custom 24 - absolutely gorgeous to look at and a dream to play. You like PRS guitars, TC?

Honestly, they're not my thing in general. Don't get me wrong, even the very bottom of the PRS range are really great guitars (let alone a Custom). They play beautifully, look so damn nice and they do a great job at finding the middle ground of Strat clarity and Les Paul grunt. Better than any other guitar, the EVH Peavey the only guitar giving it a run for it's money. If you could only have one guitar, you'd choose a PRS I reckon. Covers most bases.

But that's the problem for me; if I want a Strat sound I'll play a Strat, if I want an LP I'll play an LP. The custom pick-ups are generally high-output so you get a strong, meaty, clear tone but lose a bit of rawness about them. I like noisy, raw pickups. Don't like Wilkinson trems either, you almost get the whammy waggle of a Floyd Rose but the tone trade-off is too much I reckon. Similar quilted tops. Depends on the style of music, though; if I was playing metal or a style requiring precision, PRS all the way.

Sorry, don't mean to piss on your new purchase. Incredibly versatile guitars PRS's are but I like some imperfection and enjoy having a battle for supremacy with my guitar in stage. Personally, most guys I know with PRS's are knobs too so maybe that's where my enmity for them comes from.

Mind you, been a while since I played one and when I did, high output pick-ups were all the rage. Have you tried it with different amps/pedals? If so, how'd it sound? Body wood (mahogany I'm guessing)?
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 10-07-2010 at 02:04 AM.

Cricket Web Staff Member
    Honestly, they're not my thing in general. Don't get me wrong, even the very bottom of the PRS range are really great guitars (let alone a Custom). They play beautifully, look so damn nice and they do a great job at finding the middle ground of Strat clarity and Les Paul grunt. Better than any other guitar, the EVH Peavey the only guitar giving it a run for it's money. If you could only have one guitar, you'd choose a PRS I reckon. Covers most bases.

But that's the problem for me; if I want a Strat sound I'll play a Strat, if I want an LP I'll play an LP. The custom pick-ups are generally high-output so you get a strong, meaty, clear tone but lose a bit of rawness about them. I like noisy, raw pickups. Don't like Wilkinson trems either, you almost get the whammy waggle of a Floyd Rose but the tone trade-off is too much I reckon. Similar quilted tops. Depends on the style of music, though; if I was playing metal or a style requiring precision, PRS all the way.

Sorry, don't mean to piss on your new purchase. Incredibly versatile guitars PRS's are but I like some imperfection and enjoy having a battle for supremacy with my guitar in stage. Personally, most guys I know with PRS's are knobs too so maybe that's where my enmity for them comes from.

Mind you, been a while since I played one and when I did, high output pick-ups were all the rage. Have you tried it with different amps/pedals? If so, how'd it sound? Body wood (mahogany I'm guessing)?
    No harm done, you're entitled to your opinion, which seems to be a considered one, and I think if you got to know me better you'd conclude I'm not a knob.

Yeah, the body is mahogany - I didn't buy it as a "hybrid" though, I already have a Strat and an SG. I have seen Porcupine Tree a few times in San Francisco and their guitarists both use them, so I came to like them stand-alone, rather than as a gap-filler. Must say I don't use the trem with the PRS. I like the choice of neck too, the wide-thin suits me perfectly.

I use it with a Fender Twin amp, and I use a Boss GT10 though I'm likely to move to a pedal board as my co-guitarist seems to get more sound variety with his PRS through his various pedals.

Quote Originally Posted by chasingthedon View Post
    No harm done, you're entitled to your opinion, which seems to be a considered one, and I think if you got to know me better you'd conclude I'm not a knob.

I dunno, Porcupine Tree fans...... haha

Yeah, the body is mahogany - I didn't buy it as a "hybrid" though, I already have a Strat and an SG. I have seen Porcupine Tree a few times in San Francisco and their guitarists both use them, so I came to like them stand-alone, rather than as a gap-filler.
    Yeah a lot of prog heads use them too I've noticed. You need that consistent, tight sound if you're going to play that style of music, wouldn't be able to with my guitars (the UV777 aside which is most def a prog nerd guitar). The advantage of using an instrument like a PRS too is that if the rest of your gear isn't awesome, you can still get a great sound.

I use it with a Fender Twin amp, and I use a Boss GT10 though I'm likely to move to a pedal board as my co-guitarist seems to get more sound variety with his PRS through his various pedals.
    It does give you the freedom to change pedals or have multiples of the same type too. No kidding, I know one bloke who has three flangers on his pedal board. Myself, I have a Red Witch Moon Phaser, JD Crybaby From hell Wah and Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde. Put your pedals in the right order and it's definitely more versatile, can keep adding new effects, etc. Fender Twins are nice too. :jealous:

Well, I picked up one of the Fernandes Revival Strats I mentioned earlier and have taken it to a local guitar maker for a set-up, it sings now. For comparison, we plugged in a Fender Custom Shop Strat he had lying around and the Fernandes was right up there for playability, tone and build quality (nice 2-piece alder body, nitro lacquer, maple neck/fretboard). The Fender retailed for $4700 and I bought the Fernandes for $650.

Basically, in the 80's Fernandes did awesome copies of vintage Fenders and Gibsons. They had the pants sued off them by both companies but still sold a lot of guitars. Well, with most vintage Fenders/Gibsons well out of reach for price and vintage gear still pretty hot right now, people are looking at the copies, noticing they're just as good and for a fraction of the price and, as I said earlier, have started snapping them up. I'm tempted to buy a couple while they're still cheap, tbh, because they're only headed one way.

Cricket Web Staff Member
    I checked out the three songs on the unearthed site, you get some really nice guitar sounds. Who's playing keyboards on the second track, BTW? The bio didn't mention keys.

Thanks man.

Ex keyboard player, Dave. Was one of the originals in the band but, well, we had to move on without him. No keys right now, we have two sax players instead. One of them ripped out his electronic wind instrument last night at rehearsal, what an instrument. Can't wait to record with it.

Japanese Vintage guitars – the situation in the late 70ies /early 80ies | Mark Knopfler Guitar / More Knowledge about the guitar

Mark Knopfler himself also got one of these Japanese vintage copies: a blue Fernandez Strat which he used for some stuff around the time of Love over Gold. John Suhr said that this guitar was one of the best-sounding guitars Mark had.
    Still plenty of Fernandes Revivals about the place on eBay......

If you're a Tele fan;

Fernandes FTE-60 1980 Tokai Made Telecaster with 22F

A vintage Tele-style replica for ~$500 = win.

Cricket Web Staff Member
    Japanese Vintage guitars the situation in the late 70ies /early 80ies | Mark Knopfler Guitar / More Knowledge about the guitar

Still plenty of Fernandes Revivals about the place on eBay......

If you're a Tele fan;

Fernandes FTE-60 1980 Tokai Made Telecaster with 22F

A vintage Tele-style replica for ~$500 = win.
    Ha, that's brought back memories - my first bass was a Tokai copy of a Fender Precision! In fact my brother might still have it.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread Information