Cricket Player Manager
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Guitar Thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    On a mildly related note, i play the mandolin.

I love small things.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

just got one of these

P.S. We beat England at Lord's
    Member of the RTDAS.
    Member of the ESAS - Edgar Schiferli Appreciation Society
    President of the DNAS - Dirk Nannes Appreciation Society
    Member of the CW Colts!

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think it's really disappointing of her - would only take a minute or two of her time....
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    Wishful thinking on your behalf.

Dad picked up one of these today. The built in options are incredible.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Hah! Nifty little thing, by the sounds of it. Just checked out the specs, looks like a pretty handy practice amp or one you can use for busking.

Myself, just bought me one of these to play with;

Will post vids when I play get my head around it and use it live.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Haha, looks like an absolute beast!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    Haha, looks like an absolute beast!
    That it is but not as beastly as the local guitar shops. They quoted me $1200 for it whereas buying it from the US online cost me $648 in total. Unbelieveable.

For people who are curious as to what they can do;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdF5R3EkaDM

Not that hard to do technically but Adam (local dude) pulls it off with such style, you can't help but love it I reckon. For the record, he's a sax player by training. The rest he's just picked up over the years.

Let this be a lesson, folks; never, ever, ever buy any musical equipment locally. The shops will happily ream you.

So....... when are we going to convert this into a guitar-playing Y00T00b thread?
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 23-07-2009 at 06:39 PM.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Forever 63* at the SCG

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Put him back, he's not done yet!

I gnabbed a Monterey mock Telecaster. Sounds unbelievably clean and really good for a cheap guitar. Most people that hear it are amazed that it is a Monterey and not a Squire. The only problem is it picks up the bass E a bit heavy in the pickup, but a good sound mixer gets rid of that

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Decided that I want to learn guitar.

Have no idea how to start though.

1. Better to start with acoustic or electric. I think the former.
    2. I'm naturally left-handed, so do I have to buy a left-handed guitar, or can I force myself to learn right-handed? Just thinking about it, learning right-handed from the beginning would be very difficult.
    3. I'm living in Japan, so any guitar books will be in Japanese. Would you recommend getting a beginner's DVD?

Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    Decided that I want to learn guitar.

Have no idea how to start though.

1. Better to start with acoustic or electric. I think the former.
    2. I'm naturally left-handed, so do I have to buy a left-handed guitar, or can I force myself to learn right-handed? Just thinking about it, learning right-handed from the beginning would be very difficult.
    3. I'm living in Japan, so any guitar books will be in Japanese. Would you recommend getting a beginner's DVD?
    1. On an electric guitar it is far easier to make things sound good, as a bit of overdrive will obscure any imperfections in your finger setting and timing. Needless to say, if you want to become a good guitar player and have the will power, go acoustic first. It can be a put off as it will sound horribly the first few,,,,ahem...decades, in my case.

2. I am also left-handed but play on right-handed guitars. I feel it helps me a lot with setting the fingers for chords etc., as that is done by my good hand, but I'm ****e at playing without a plectrum because it's my motor-impaired right hand that has to do that.

3. DVD's are good, you might also want to check out the Guitar for Dummies book, as it has a really good explanation of the system behind finger settings and what kind of lick is often used in different kinds of music. It basically is a great textbook for all the cliche riffs you'd ever want to use without sounding like you're just playing a really bad cover song. Other than that, you can find easy-to-understand tablature for almost any song you can think of on the Internet. They're good for quickly picking up skills as well.

Go for it, it's the coolest thing.
    Last edited by Steulen; 08-05-2010 at 03:54 AM.
    President of RTDAS - Ryan ten Doeschate - The Freddie Flintoff of Associate Cricket
    Member of DNAS, ESAS - Dirk Nannes, Edgar Schiferli. Dutchmen can bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Steulen, are you half-Welsh? Cheer up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    God, I just worked out Steulen's avatar is a hedgehog, not a brain...
    Not sure how to feel now tbh...

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    On a mildly related note, i play the mandolin.

I love small things.
    How does it compare to playing the guitar? Is it basically the same? A mandoline is on my wish list, as I think they sound fantastic in heavy rock music, but I don't have the time nor drive to try and master a completely new instrument.

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steulen View Post

2. I am also left-handed but play on right-handed guitars. I feel it helps me a lot with setting the fingers for chords etc., as that is done by my good hand, but I'm ****e at playing without a plectrum because it's my motor-impaired right hand that has to do that.
    The thing is though that in cricket I bowl left-handed but bat right-handed. One of those people. It just feels more natural to play left-handed, but I don't think the local stores here have left-handed guitars.

One more question: do you have any recommendations for an actual make of guitar that would be good for a novice?

Cheers.
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan

Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

"Neither of them will have an international cricket acareer past 2016."
    Brocky on Martin Guptill and Ish Sodhi. 20/11/2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    The thing is though that in cricket I bowl left-handed but bat right-handed. One of those people. It just feels more natural to play left-handed, but I don't think the local stores here have left-handed guitars.

One more question: do you have any recommendations for an actual make of guitar that would be good for a novice?

Cheers.
    If you buy a symmetric guitar, you can just take off the strings and put them back on in reverse order. That will give you a left-handed guitar.

Avoid a really cheap guitar as they will be difficult to play on. What you're looking for is a smooth-playing neck. Lots of brands will give you that. From personal experience, avoid the cheapest things in the Fender range. If you dare, just go to a shop and try a few that fit your budget. By just gliding your hand over the neck you will get a feel for how smooth they are. And ignore the wannabe guitar god playing away in the practice area, if he was really any good he wouldn't be there.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Steulen View Post
    How does it compare to playing the guitar? Is it basically the same?
    It's not that different to playing a guitar, but guitarists generally find it quite frustrating at first. Basic chords are much easier on mandolin than on guitar so if you want to play that kind of thing it wouldn't take too long to get good. If you want to play tunes it's awkward and takes some getting used to. Tremolo is a new skill in itself.

In my experience, really good guitarists still start off as complete beginners on a mandolin, so loads of them just cbf. But if they start playing properly they learn waaaay faster than the people who don't play guitar.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information