Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: The Guitar Thread

Cricketer Of The Year wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    The C#min dim5 or A7? Mind you I'm playing Bass with tiny hands so I can't see it.
    C# minor diminished. Filthy one.

Seeing as this is the closest thing CW has to a general musical gear **** thread, I'd like to note that having a brand new crash cymbal arrive in the evening being unable to play it until the following day is surely the purest form of torture on earth.

I WANT TO MAKE LOUDS NOW
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Neesham
    Root always sets up the innings well. It's nice having BJ down the order to finish the innings off.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    haha, been there so many times.

Got a new bit of gear coming myself. Been looking for a low-gain pedal to get that Hendrixy almost-clean tone, settled on one of these:

Xotic BB Preamp Part 1 - Strat - YouTube

Quite nice, I reckon. Will be a good boost to stack on top of my main distortion pedal for solos too.

Cricketer Of The Year wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Nice. I've been meaning to attempt a boost-pedal DIY build but finding enclosures is a right pain.

Any experience(s) with MIJ squires? at 400 this one seems a fair deal though I haven't tried it yet.

Fender MIJ Telecaster squier with Hardcase | Trade Me

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Vaughn's Musical Notation - summary of the L5/L7/L9/L11

Grabbed one of these (the L7). Shockingly warm sounding amp for a transistor amp, apparently BB King still uses nothing else (well, the L5). They were a side project of Moog and Gibson, an amp which would stand up to road abuse for the working musician (basically cheap to buy but a top-notch no-frills amp to use). These things are rare as **** and, shockingly, some bloke was selling one locally. He claimed he bought it at auction after it was 'left behind' after a BB King gig here. I was curious so I thought about contacting BB's reps and seeing if it's actually his amp and whether someone would want to claim it but his agent charges to even chat. So **** that, if any of BB's crew wants to claim it, here it is.

Not much to look at but, like I said, warm amp. 4x10" speakers will do that anyway but it's got a serious amount of tone-shaping in it. Aside from the usual EQ, there's an awesome compressor which you have to tweak to the room rather than being always on, an effects loop and a 'multifilter' which shapes the tone like the sweep of a wah pedal but once you find a tone you like, you keep it there. The tone of the amp is quite neutral, no colouring of it by amp circuitry. Really nice. The clean funk tone is ****ing immense but goes well even with high-gain pedals. That said, you can actually crank the 2nd channel and get that clean-dirty glassy Hendrix thing. Best $500 I ever spent.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 16-09-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread Information