Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: The Guitar Thread

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    The C#min dim5 or A7? Mind you I'm playing Bass with tiny hands so I can't see it.
    C# minor diminished. Filthy one.

Seeing as this is the closest thing CW has to a general musical gear **** thread, I'd like to note that having a brand new crash cymbal arrive in the evening being unable to play it until the following day is surely the purest form of torture on earth.

I WANT TO MAKE LOUDS NOW
    Exit pursuing a beer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    haha, been there so many times.

Got a new bit of gear coming myself. Been looking for a low-gain pedal to get that Hendrixy almost-clean tone, settled on one of these:

Xotic BB Preamp Part 1 - Strat - YouTube

Quite nice, I reckon. Will be a good boost to stack on top of my main distortion pedal for solos too.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Nice. I've been meaning to attempt a boost-pedal DIY build but finding enclosures is a right pain.

Any experience(s) with MIJ squires? at 400 this one seems a fair deal though I haven't tried it yet.

Fender MIJ Telecaster squier with Hardcase | Trade Me

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Vaughn's Musical Notation - summary of the L5/L7/L9/L11

Grabbed one of these (the L7). Shockingly warm sounding amp for a transistor amp, apparently BB King still uses nothing else (well, the L5). They were a side project of Moog and Gibson, an amp which would stand up to road abuse for the working musician (basically cheap to buy but a top-notch no-frills amp to use). These things are rare as **** and, shockingly, some bloke was selling one locally. He claimed he bought it at auction after it was 'left behind' after a BB King gig here. I was curious so I thought about contacting BB's reps and seeing if it's actually his amp and whether someone would want to claim it but his agent charges to even chat. So **** that, if any of BB's crew wants to claim it, here it is.

Not much to look at but, like I said, warm amp. 4x10" speakers will do that anyway but it's got a serious amount of tone-shaping in it. Aside from the usual EQ, there's an awesome compressor which you have to tweak to the room rather than being always on, an effects loop and a 'multifilter' which shapes the tone like the sweep of a wah pedal but once you find a tone you like, you keep it there. The tone of the amp is quite neutral, no colouring of it by amp circuitry. Really nice. The clean funk tone is ****ing immense but goes well even with high-gain pedals. That said, you can actually crank the 2nd channel and get that clean-dirty glassy Hendrix thing. Best $500 I ever spent.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 16-09-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread Information