Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: The Guitar Thread

Cricketer Of The Year wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    The C#min dim5 or A7? Mind you I'm playing Bass with tiny hands so I can't see it.
    C# minor diminished. Filthy one.

Seeing as this is the closest thing CW has to a general musical gear **** thread, I'd like to note that having a brand new crash cymbal arrive in the evening being unable to play it until the following day is surely the purest form of torture on earth.

I WANT TO MAKE LOUDS NOW
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Neesham
    Root always sets up the innings well. It's nice having BJ down the order to finish the innings off.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    haha, been there so many times.

Got a new bit of gear coming myself. Been looking for a low-gain pedal to get that Hendrixy almost-clean tone, settled on one of these:

Xotic BB Preamp Part 1 - Strat - YouTube

Quite nice, I reckon. Will be a good boost to stack on top of my main distortion pedal for solos too.

Cricketer Of The Year wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Nice. I've been meaning to attempt a boost-pedal DIY build but finding enclosures is a right pain.

Any experience(s) with MIJ squires? at 400 this one seems a fair deal though I haven't tried it yet.

Fender MIJ Telecaster squier with Hardcase | Trade Me

Vaughn's Musical Notation - summary of the L5/L7/L9/L11

Grabbed one of these (the L7). Shockingly warm sounding amp for a transistor amp, apparently BB King still uses nothing else (well, the L5). They were a side project of Moog and Gibson, an amp which would stand up to road abuse for the working musician (basically cheap to buy but a top-notch no-frills amp to use). These things are rare as **** and, shockingly, some bloke was selling one locally. He claimed he bought it at auction after it was 'left behind' after a BB King gig here. I was curious so I thought about contacting BB's reps and seeing if it's actually his amp and whether someone would want to claim it but his agent charges to even chat. So **** that, if any of BB's crew wants to claim it, here it is.

Not much to look at but, like I said, warm amp. 4x10" speakers will do that anyway but it's got a serious amount of tone-shaping in it. Aside from the usual EQ, there's an awesome compressor which you have to tweak to the room rather than being always on, an effects loop and a 'multifilter' which shapes the tone like the sweep of a wah pedal but once you find a tone you like, you keep it there. The tone of the amp is quite neutral, no colouring of it by amp circuitry. Really nice. The clean funk tone is ****ing immense but goes well even with high-gain pedals. That said, you can actually crank the 2nd channel and get that clean-dirty glassy Hendrix thing. Best $500 I ever spent.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 16-09-2013 at 05:28 PM.
    AndyZaltzHair likes this.

International Captain AndyZaltzHair's Avatar
    malmsteen?
    Originally Spoken by Brendon McCullum
    You have got to earn the right to be aggressive.
    Supporting XI
    Soumya Sarkar, Pinak Ghosh, Mominul Haque, Mosaddek Hossain, Shabbir, Nurul Hasan, Mehedi Miraz, Abu Hider, Taskin Ahmed, Mustafizur Rahman, Jubair Hossain

there's a guitar thread?

who wants to see mine?

Show that bad boi.

Late to the party as always but just saw these.

True Temperament fretting system

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Show that bad boi.

Late to the party as always but just saw these.

True Temperament fretting system
    I'm very much an intonation nazi, and I'm tempted by the true temperament system.

The problem is that any fixed-intonation instrument is inherently flawed. A major 3rd is not perfectly in line with a major 5th in a different key: singers, violinists etc adjust for this without even knowing it. I think guitarists probably do too with very slight bends as well.

That said, I applaud any system that gets closer to perfect. Chords with open strings are basically unplayable for me with the way my ears respond to them.

That's it innit. It's very personal. I want my instrument to put up a bit of a fight so enjoy the chaos and love dissonance but we just all have different thresholds. Even with perfect intonation, the guitar will always be a trade-off. That system won't stop you from bashing the strings too hard in the heat of a gig, for example. But then, part of the practice routine of a lot of guys is to learn to avoid exactly that so hey, it's personal. It depends on the point of the genre; if I'm listening to Montgomery, I wanna hear that consistency whereas if I'm jamming to Hazel, it'll be weird if the axe is in tune even for a moment.

So, got any video/audio of you bashing the beast?

(keep it clean, now)
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 06-11-2015 at 01:29 AM.

So, got any video/audio of you bashing the beast?

(keep it clean, now)
    heh, I uploaded this a few months ago when I was learning a Cynic song. Was more a reference video for later on to see how much smoother I could get it after actually learning it properly.

AndyZaltzHair likes this.

Using a 347 for metal is pretty \m/.

International Captain AndyZaltzHair's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    heh, I uploaded this a few months ago when I was learning a Cynic song. Was more a reference video for later on to see how much smoother I could get it after actually learning it properly.

That's some attempt. Guess Cynic songs are one of the tough ones out there to cover from technical perspective. The blending of jazz and metal is pretty awesome.

Using a 347 for metal is pretty \m/.
    I use this guitar for everything. The upper neck access is not as great as a proper shredding guitar but other than that it's fine. Action is super low. It's from 1980 when they were doing 3 piece maple necks and reduced headstock angle so it's much more stable than "historically correct" gibsons.

The stock pickups, believe it or not, are Dirty Fingers. Super high output. Freaking great for metal. And with the coil split it sounds like a tele in the bridge and does a passable imitation of a strat in the neck. I did change out the frets and got rid of the stupid binding nibs.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyZaltzHair View Post
    That's some attempt. Guess Cynic songs are one of the tough ones out there to cover from technical perspective. The blending of jazz and metal is pretty awesome.
    yeah, the lead guitarist for this album is a massive Holdsworth fan, and that solo is pretty much pure holdsworth with the legato part.

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread Information