Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Guitar Thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    haha, no it's a psychological method for learning how to read using coloured cards. It's a metaphor for how we can be difficult to like initially but if you persevere with us, you'll learn invaluable life skills.

(which would be a more interesting story were it true)

So yeah, played a gig with the new band last night, borrowed a mate's Fender Bassman. Fantastic amp, I had no idea they got such a great funk sound. M'thinks I need to get one.....

The gig was recorded so I'll put up some video/audio soon.

Last edited by Top_Cat; 03-06-2011 at 07:57 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricket Web Staff Member
    Corey, looking at Teles on eBay - only saw one Fernandes, don't like the colour. What do you know about Korean Teles?

No idea, never used one. If you're looking around for other Japanese guitars, Burny and Tokai and many others do Tele's. The best ones, you'd be looking around for the 'Lawsuit' Burny's (early 80's) and just about any 80's Tokai for nice ones. Tokai's you'll be paying a bit more for but they're still far less than buying the equivalent US Fender.

Jap Fenders are outstanding guitars too so consider them but they won't be the same level of bargain as the above.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 04-06-2011 at 01:49 AM.

Dave, checkit;

Fernandes Revival TL Early 80's made + TV Jones PU #364 | eBay

Fernandes Revival RTE-500 Early 80's made #0361 | eBay

(like the look of the second one in particular).

Bit pricier than usual but still a freaking bargain. Have dealt with that company before, they're awesome. Those guitars will be beautifully set-up, guaranteed. Get on them, though, because they go fast!

For those looking for a Strat guitar;

MIJ - Fernandes "The Revival" 64 Early 80's model | eBay

That's a mate of mine, he's a tone Nazi and having played that guitar, I can confirm everything he says in the ad. More of a rock Strat than blues/funk so it goes better with a Marshall than, say, a Fender. I'd buy it in a second if the prick gave me mate's rates.

Cricket Web Staff Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Dave, checkit;

Fernandes Revival TL Early 80's made + TV Jones PU #364 | eBay

Fernandes Revival RTE-500 Early 80's made #0361 | eBay

(like the look of the second one in particular).

Bit pricier than usual but still a freaking bargain. Have dealt with that company before, they're awesome. Those guitars will be beautifully set-up, guaranteed. Get on them, though, because they go fast!

For those looking for a Strat guitar;

MIJ - Fernandes "The Revival" 64 Early 80's model | eBay

That's a mate of mine, he's a tone Nazi and having played that guitar, I can confirm everything he says in the ad. More of a rock Strat than blues/funk so it goes better with a Marshall than, say, a Fender. I'd buy it in a second if the prick gave me mate's rates.
    Thanks Corey - definitely the second one. Like the fact that US costs are included!

Oh yeah, I just got reminded by my mate Branko that when a mutual friend of ours bought his guitar from them, he didn't go via eBay but emailed them direct and mentioned Branko's name as a former customer, got a substantial discount. Mention that you found out about the guitar through other customers (Eddie and Branko from Adelaide SA) and they'll probably knock a fair chunk off the price. Even if it's gone, you might want to ask about what other guitars they have for sale too, they often have cool axes lying around that they haven't gotten around to advertising yet.

(might want to do that anyway, may get a couple of guitars cheap!)

sales@dai-show.com
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 05-06-2011 at 09:52 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Oh yeah, I just got reminded by my mate Branko that when a mutual friend of ours bought his guitar from them, he didn't go via eBay but emailed them direct and mentioned Branko's name as a former customer, got a substantial discount. Mention that you found out about the guitar through other customers (Eddie and Branko from Adelaide SA) and they'll probably knock a fair chunk off the price. Even if it's gone, you might want to ask about what other guitars they have for sale too, they often have cool axes lying around that they haven't gotten around to advertising yet.

(might want to do that anyway, may get a couple of guitars cheap!)

sales@dai-show.com
    Cool - thanks for the tip!

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Sounds interesting, do they do much in the way of basses?
    Exit pursuing a beer

Sure do - Japanese Vintage Bass Guitar Stock List

Same applies; if you see something you like that they have in stock, email them, mention other customers and make them an offer (the prices are up on the site). You could rely on an unprompted discount but I reckon it's nicer if you make an offer.

Otherwise, they have pics up of stuff they've sold before so if you see one of those you like, drop them an email and ask whether they have one lying around. If they don't, they'll work their arses off to source one for you.

A third option is to just drop a cheery email, tell them you were referred from other customers (probably don't have to say who but they may ask out of curiosity and to make a note to offer Eddie and Branko extra discounts if they buy from them again ) and give them an idea of the sort of instrument you're after (body wood, pickup types, etc.). Again, they'll move heaven and earth to source one which fits what you're after with detailed descriptions and pics of what you're buying.

Might even be worth asking what other gear they offer. The site only has axes but they might source and chuck in a pedal just to make the sale go ahead. The level of service with these guys is incredible. From initial email to receiving the package, my mate Ed was waiting 4 days.

vcs

Google guitar has had an immense response on Youtube.

YouTube - ‪Guy with really good voice plays Beatles song on Google Logo Guitar‬‏

Doesn't have that good a voice, but top effort from the guy.
    And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

Insulting the memory of Les Paul by playing a Beatles song.

Cricket Web Staff Member
    Why Les Paul? Didn't he die two years ago?

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Blimey, some crazy low prices there. Seems a little too good to be true tbh. How's the quality consistencey, from your experience?

They undersell themselves if anything. My best mate bought this Fernandes Strat from them and they described the body as 'so-so' which, as it happened, means 'not flawless'. For a 20-odd year old guitar, it's in beautiful nick. Sounds magnificent too, this guitar got the real Yngwie Malmsteen rock sound my mate was after. They even did a free set-up when, locally, they're worth around $200.

Branko has bought a few guitars from them (I think around 5?) and resold them with around a $200 profit on top. He was the one who recommended them to me. From what I know of the history of these Japanese guitars, for years they were rubbish but from about the early 80's, Fernandes/Orville/Burny/Profile/etc. did awesome copies of Fender/Gibsons from the 50's and 60's to the point where they got sued by both companies, banned from importing them into the US and were known as 'cheap Jap copies'. Now things have relaxed a bit and these great guitars with better workmanship than you get from Fender/Gibson these days in some cases.

They still have the 'cheap Jap copy' stigma associated with them from the Fender/Gibbo snobs so the price is low but, from what I gather, the prices are on the up (used to be able to get them for < $500). I own three Fernandes' now and all three are spectacularly good, the two Tele's get that genuine Tele quack.

I guess, the best way to know is to see them in action.

ZumoDrive - 20110603 People Say @ Crown & Sceptre.mov

That's a rough mix vid the whole gig from last Friday with the new band. I'm using my Fernandes Tele and the bass is a passive pickup Yamaha bass. I didn't buy my guitar from the specific dealer above (they didn't have any in stock at the time) but Mike did. Check the bass solo around 20:54 in, no pedals on that tone at all.

EDIT: True hilarity when I first walk on stage; click the cut-off pedal on, volume knob up on the guitar, no sound. I walk back to the amp and discover I'd left it off. Oye, good start to the night!
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 09-06-2011 at 09:48 PM.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information