Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hip hop at the Glastonbury festival

Pinball Champion!

Hip hop at the Glastonbury festival

Is anything sacred any more?

Now I have no problem with Hip-Hop, rap, R&B, whatever you want to say, but this has really wound me up the wrong way, and I imagine I'm not the only one.. There is a place for all genres of music, but not at Glastonbury..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7345780.stm
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    I've got an opportunity to film this and/or edit it into an hour-long programme. Sadly I'll in Trinidad then. Woe is me.

And yes, I agree with your hip-hop-hating post. And yes, I know you weren't hating hip hop.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Don't see the big deal tbh. The festival evolves, and the comment about it not being a place for all genres of music falls flat considering that a pretty large variety of acts have played there.

cpr
    Blaming Jay Z for the fact it didnt sell out straight away, and in a way its true.

However, its nothing to do with hip hop, its to do with 2 things

1) Jay-Z's the wrong man. Sure he's the biggest name in his field, but its an indie festival, and he doesnt have the cross-over appeal of other acts. Ask anyone with Glastonbury tickets, and the younger lot would probably want Kanye West, the older lot would want The Beastie Boys. Jay-Z sorta came along during the lull in mainstream popularity between the two, and never really crossed over like they have. Also, Jay-Z was meant to headline Leeds one year, but 'retired' just before the show.... Not exactly someone to get excited about seeing when he's a reputation of no-showing.

2) The line-ups elsewhere have just completely **** on Glasto. Glasto's been known to get THE big name of the summer, had The Who, Radiohead etc. This year its the return of Rage Against The Machine, and there elsewhere. Think the 'rumours' of Led Zep playing have really damaged sales when the dissapointment hit.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa View Post
    Don't see the big deal tbh. The festival evolves, and the comment about it not being a place for all genres of music falls flat considering that a pretty large variety of acts have played there.
    Yes, but if they're going to go hip hop, they should get some proper hip hop. Not the trash that Jay-Z makes his millions with. The man barely has flow and is a substandard lyricist. [/rant]

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    I don't disagree with that.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Glastonbury's ****, would never ever go
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Vice-Captain Anna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Blaming Jay Z for the fact it didnt sell out straight away, and in a way its true.

However, its nothing to do with hip hop, its to do with 2 things

1) Jay-Z's the wrong man. Sure he's the biggest name in his field, but its an indie festival, and he doesnt have the cross-over appeal of other acts. Ask anyone with Glastonbury tickets, and the younger lot would probably want Kanye West, the older lot would want The Beastie Boys. Jay-Z sorta came along during the lull in mainstream popularity between the two, and never really crossed over like they have. Also, Jay-Z was meant to headline Leeds one year, but 'retired' just before the show.... Not exactly someone to get excited about seeing when he's a reputation of no-showing.

2) The line-ups elsewhere have just completely **** on Glasto. Glasto's been known to get THE big name of the summer, had The Who, Radiohead etc. This year its the return of Rage Against The Machine, and there elsewhere. Think the 'rumours' of Led Zep playing have really damaged sales when the dissapointment hit.
    Erm, no, it's a music festival. Yes there are indie acts but there's a shed load of other stuff - rock, folk, world, dance etc etc etc.

COME ON YOU BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"One day lad, all this will be yours"
    "What, the curtains?"

cpr
    The main draw of Glastonbury over the last 10 years has been Indie based acts. Wouldnt exactly call it a rock festival, considering the bands i've seen at other festivals have been considerably heavier than anything Glasto's ever had. Sure it has all sorts of music playing, but what festival doesnt. I'd still count Leeds as a rock festival, even after seeing Dizzee Rascal, 2 Many DJ's, 50 Cent etc play there (plus many an Indie band too).

Glastonbury draws the majority of its attendee's from the Indie crowds, always has, always will.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    Erm, no, it's a music festival. Yes there are indie acts but there's a shed load of other stuff - rock, folk, world, dance etc etc etc.
    Well, looks like they've done a cracking job of just alienating most of their fanbase.. Good luck with their 'music festival'

I thought it usually sold out before the lineup was announced? If that had been the case I would be very strongly opposed to having Jay-Z as headliner, as the people who got tickets probably wouldn't like him and his fans probably wouldn't have tickets.

But you say it didn't sell out straight away? Not such a big deal in that case.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    They announce the headliners when tickets sell and then the full lineup at the start of June. Personally i have a ticket, but i'll be returning it so i can do mooch around Europe in a van with my friends for the month of June.
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    The main draw of Glastonbury over the last 10 years has been Indie based acts. Wouldnt exactly call it a rock festival, considering the bands i've seen at other festivals have been considerably heavier than anything Glasto's ever had. Sure it has all sorts of music playing, but what festival doesnt. I'd still count Leeds as a rock festival, even after seeing Dizzee Rascal, 2 Many DJ's, 50 Cent etc play there (plus many an Indie band too).

Glastonbury draws the majority of its attendee's from the Indie crowds, always has, always will.
    Exactly. While the acts themselves are not generally 100% "indie" (which in itself is a pretty meaningless term these days), the audience is usually predominantly comprised of indie fans who are less likely to want to see the likes of Jay-Z, and for that matter Kylie Minogue. I couldn't believe it when I heard she was going to perform there - sacrilege!
    Member of the Newtown Cricket Club since January '06 - "Per commissum ad taberna"
    Honorary Vice-President of the "Twenty20 Is Boring Society"

cpr
    Aye, saying 'Indie' fans is a bit limited, as people listen to a whole range of music, but its a fair summary of your average Glastonbury goer. Theres always a kitsch act, such as Shirley Bassey last year, on the bill, and that'll be Kylie this year, so wouldnt make that such a big deal.... However you need good other headliners....

Sticking by what i said above though, if they'd got the Beastie Boys as the hip-hop headliner, it'd be a totally different story.... Its more Jay-Z hasnt got the audience appeal over here.

Wow, Shirley Bassey would have been fantastic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information