Thread: Tech Question- External Hard Drives

Tech Question- External Hard Drives

Basically I need one as soon as possible. This means shopping in Bulgaria for one rather than ordering on line. This means I cant ask any questions as I dont speak a word of the lingo and their English will be limited.

Anyway, what I need it an external HD to hook up to my PC, my laptop and an old PC that doesnt have USB 2.0 (1.0 I think).

Im looking at 120+ Gb and there appears to be 3 options. One that is USB 2.0 only and requires no other power supply and is very small. Another small one that uses USB but needs its own power and a 3rd by Phillips that is far bigger and faster (at the same price) that hooks up with what looks like a printer cable.

Anyone have any advice? Its going to be used for photo and music storage.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Don't get a SeaGate FreeAgent, mine has dodgy connections. Occasionally it's not recognised when you plug it in, and sometimes it'll be in the middle of transferring stuff and suddenly it'll think you've unplugged it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    Don't get a SeaGate FreeAgent, mine has dodgy connections. Occasionally it's not recognised when you plug it in, and sometimes it'll be in the middle of transferring stuff and suddenly it'll think you've unplugged it.
    I've got two of those and they've both been perfectly fine for me.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    First one's the best if you want to transfer stuff from place to place like a glorified pen drive(i.e. i use my portable for bringing home all my music/films/etc. from uni), second one's ideally there for you to backup your entire harddrive and then leave it where it is 99% of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    I've got two of those and they've both been perfectly fine for me.
    Oh. Well, that's annoying.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    You could also order an internal drive, and mount it externally with something like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

cpr
    Currently use a Western Digital one, 320gb. Not exactly tiny (i'd say its the same size as a standard paperback book), needs its own power supply, but works on both USB 1 & 2. Also works accross all OS's without any hassle or installing, just plugs and plays(my desktops USB 1 with XP, mums laptops USB 2 and Vista).

If as Matteh says, its not so much for the portability between locations, more for backing up (the laptop can always be moved to the PC when it needs to link to the HD i suppose), then its a good choice. Even moving it between two PC's in the same house isnt exactly taxing.

Having said that, if its needed for moving files from home to another enviroment, probably not the best.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

International 12th Man Shaggy Alfresco's Avatar

The 1st two I mention were pocket sized. The 3rd, the Phillips, was many times the size like a thick book and the assistant said it was far faster. Do the bigger ones access quicker? and is there any reason why it has the printer like usb input rather than the camera like one?

Basically, as Im going to massively over pay, compared to ordering from the States, I dont want to get this wrong. I wish I had more detailed info to paint a clearer picture.

cpr
    Might have a faster write speed, but it'll be negligable, especially if your using it on USB 1.

ret
    i use a pocket sized one by Maxtor and is pretty good .... the ones of Fujitsu are good too
    Fastest gun in town

Flexi-Combat Champion! Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    USB connection or power?
    No'ones gonna take me alive
    The time has come to make things right
    You and I must fight for our rights
    You and I must fight to survive

New Zealand Cricket Supporter

ret
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post

Im looking at 120+ Gb and there appears to be 3 options. One that is USB 2.0 only and requires no other power supply and is very small. Another small one that uses USB but needs its own power and a 3rd by Phillips that is far bigger and faster (at the same price) that hooks up with what looks like a printer cable.

Anyone have any advice? Its going to be used for photo and music storage.
    thats the best one .... one USB port and portability .... the link below will give you an idea on what to look for in an external HDD

http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/c.../hdd/external/
    Last edited by ret; 31-03-2008 at 05:26 PM.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Desktop: Get a 3.5" one that needs a power supply.
    Laptop: 2.5" that uses USB for power.

Overall, I'd go 2.5" simply because you'll be able to use it anywhere and won't have to worry about plugging into power sockets.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, N Broom, Craig Cachopa, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, I Sodhi, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Thread Information