Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Normal Weekend Out On The Town: Binge Drinking and Violence

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar

A Normal Weekend Out On The Town: Binge Drinking and Violence

I was just watching 60 minutes, and they had a story on violence on the streets of our cities here in Australia. I knew it had become worse in the past few years as when I went away to the UK in 2002 I was shocked by some of the stuff I saw on the streets there in comparison to here at home in Oz. Upon my return to Australia 2 and a half years later I was amazed how quickly we were catching up.

The boy in this story:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...597890505.html

...featured in the story on 60 minutes, along with scenes of senseless violence including people being kicked in the head as they cowered on the ground.

I wonder when the change occured and what caused it?

Binge drinking has been blamed, and I'm sure that's part of it. Earlier closing hours have been put forward as a solution, yet in the UK when I arrived there there were earlier closing hours than there are here and it didn't help. People drank earlier and drank quickly to get there fill in before 11pm-midnight. Here in Oz we currently go out later, but then drink quickly to get our fill in before the 3am closing time.

What do you guys think would be a good solution? And has anyone had any experiences with violence etc inside or outside clubs and pubs? It's such a stupid thing to do to someone when their life can change in a matter of seconds.
    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

"There's more chance of SoC making a good post than Smith averaging 99.95." - Furball

"**** you're such a **** poster." - Furball

Spills out into our area quite a bit, annoyingly. It's certainly a problem here and there've been more and more bashings (especially sorta-racially motivated) in recent times. Certainly not too safe to walk around, though I'd imagine it's better and worse in other areas.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

The drinking culture is this country is unbelievable. I really believe it has gotten so much worse in such a short amount of time that it's ridiculous. It is without a doubt leading to more deaths on our roads, more needless violence and just people stuffing up their lives in general. Our culture is one that has generally embraced drinking. A lot of Australian tales of myth involve grog in some way (David Boon's 52 cans on a flight record etc). I think it may have gone a bit too far though...I wouldn't suggest making the drinking age higher or anything...But I would try something to try and deglamourise drinking.

It seems it is young people who are the worst at it though. I rarely drink. But all my mates are out nearly every Friday night getting smashed. And I know that on numerous occasions they've been thrown out of the pub for fighting or being too pissed. Dunno if anyone has been to the Mean Fiddler, that's where I generally go, but it's just been named as the pub in NSW with the most assaults.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    No. 1 is getting security guards that don't want to start fights.

No. 2. is legalising a certain drug that currently isn't legal. The times I spent in Amsterdam I didn't feel unsafe and there certainly weren't alcohol fueled fights.

No. 3. is having regular 24 hour public transport on a Friday and Saturday night. The amount of fights that occur on train platforms and taxi ranks is disgusting.

Most of the fights in Brisbane are started by security guards, with their obnoxious attitude.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright View Post
    No. 1 is getting security guards that don't want to start fights.

No. 2. is legalising a certain drug that currently isn't legal. The times I spent in Amsterdam I didn't feel unsafe and there certainly weren't alcohol fueled fights.

No. 3. is having regular 24 hour public transport on a Friday and Saturday night. The amount of fights that occur on train platforms and taxi ranks is disgusting.

Most of the fights in Brisbane are started by security guards, with their obnoxious attitude.
    None of the fights in the segment on 60 minutes involved security guards though, it was just random violence between patrons out on the streets. I know bouncers can be pretty ordinary, 5-10 years back a lot of the fights started at The Balcony nightclub in Cooolangatta were initiated by the bouncers. It doesn't happen as much there now, as it's been cleaned up. It's become worse as far as street violence and random thuggery is concerned though.

I'm not sure marijuana being illegal is part of the problem.

Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    I'm not sure marijuana being illegal is part of the problem.
    Worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright View Post
    Worth a try.
    haha, given some of my mates who smoked it ended up going to sleep and being generally useless for a good few hours you might be right!

Burger Time Champion!
    haha, given some of my mates who smoked it ended up going to sleep and being generally useless for a good few hours you might be right!
    Last thing you're going to do is start a fight when you're stoned. You're only worried about one thing - where to get munchies.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    It's strange. Im out most nights, and i know that violence exists at pubs etc, but I've never really witnessed many fights at all firsthand. Any the ones I have were simple scuffles between pewtch drunk idiots.
    Don't go chasing waterfalls

Quote Originally Posted by GoT_SpIn View Post
    It's strange. Im out most nights, and i know that violence exists at pubs etc, but I've never really witnessed many fights at all firsthand. Any the ones I have were simple scuffles between pewtch drunk idiots.
    I haven't seen many either...certainly not at the level I saw on 60 minutes. The occasional scuffle across the room, blokes falling about and that sort of thing has been it. My last fight was in grade 3...it was a 3 round draw. Never been involved in a fight on a night out *touch wood*

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Me neither, though I've only been going out for 5-and-a-bit years, and the fighting "culture" in this city, though unquestionably very much around, is nowhere near so bad as in many cities around this country (and Aus, so it seems).

Don't intend to myself, though, it's just a braindead thing to do. About the only thing I ever agreed with Ian Chappell on was when he said "fighting only ends you up in hospital or behind bars". Whenever anything does kick-off, I just make it my business to, as I usually say to my friends, *** off outta there. Only time I'd ever be involved would be, obviously, if one of my assembled company was started on.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    I haven't seen many either...certainly not at the level I saw on 60 minutes. The occasional scuffle across the room, blokes falling about and that sort of thing has been it. My last fight was in grade 3...it was a 3 round draw. Never been involved in a fight on a night out *touch wood*
    That's why all these stories semi-suprise me. I don't want to jynx myself, but I've never seen or been involved in a bad fight and most guys in pubs are generally quite nice.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Ah, this old thing. Media beat-up, Australians are drinking less now than 20 years ago with violent crime, etc. following this trend;

http://www.ndri.curtin.edu.au/pdfs/n...fullreport.pdf

Reliable info on this topic isn't easy to find but reports like the one above by the National Drug Research Institute are decent. The report is a good 7 years old now but it remains one of the more reliable ones. Even the AIC's latest (March 5) report shows that whilst there were large increases in assault reporting from 1996-2000 (changes in reporting criteria have also strongly influenced those numbers), since 2001 the figures have basically increased with general population increases (so, no net increase as both Australia's population and assault data have increased by around 12%) with the usual seasonal variation and, on a few occasions, there were decreases year-to-year. The large increase reported by the media is fiction.

Anecdotally, I'm out frequently seeing bands, gigging with my band, etc. and the last fight I saw was years ago.

I've seen a ton of fights, but I do live in the western suburbs of Sydney....

International Regular DCC_legend's Avatar
    There's very rarely fights over here and TBH, most of them are between girls. Have heard of the odd fight between guys but I'm pretty sure the fighting culture over here isn't needed because we don't have any ****ing ****s that decided they wanted to get riled up on there cheap double vodka and red bulls and beat the living daylight out of some smaller guy. Like seriously, what is the ****ing point?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information