Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GWB 'envious' of 'romantic' Afghanistan conflict

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar

GWB 'envious' of 'romantic' Afghanistan conflict

http://www.reuters.com/article/polit...e=politicsNews

Particularly grating quotes;

"I must say, I'm a little envious," Bush said. "If I were slightly younger and not employed here, I think it would be a fantastic experience to be on the front lines of helping this young democracy succeed."

"It must be exciting for you ... in some ways romantic, in some ways, you know, confronting danger. You're really making history, and thanks," Bush said.

Apart from all the killing and the dying, etc. That might put a bit of a dampener on how 'fantastic' or romantic the whole experience is. Very few Vietnam vets I know, who actually went over when he was too busy working on political compaigns, look back at their war experiences as fun experiences.

Spoken like a bloke who never fought himself, really. Managed to avoid active duty by serving in the National Guard, much like the other rich kids of the day. I mean, geez, I know it's a cliche and all but seriously, where is this bloke's head at?

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Ridiculous, really. Looking forward to Obama getting into power (let's face it, it's gonna happen), because then stuff that the President says in the media will actually mean something.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Hah, poor guy really knows how to put his foot in his mouth. It'll change when McCain is President.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Hah, poor guy really knows how to put his foot in his mouth. It'll change when McCain is President.
    Right-wing nut.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    Right-wing nut.
    Need to post more rifle pictures tbh. I think I'm losing my rep. In any case, as long as some pro gun control prissy liberal doesn't come into the white house, I'll be happy. Though McCain isn't fantastic about enforcing gun rights....I guess I'll take what I can get.

Last edited by silentstriker; 14-03-2008 at 10:42 AM.

Need to post more rifle pictures tbh. I think I'm losing my rep. In any case, as long as some pro gun control prissy liberal doesn't come into the white house, I'll be happy. Though McCain isn't fantastic about enforcing gun rights....I guess I'll take what I can get.

Haha. Even bigger right-wing nut.

*hides from man with gun*

cpr
    Obviously the Texas Air Reserve or whatever he was hiding in didnt whet his appetite enough (considering the amount of wet stuff he was pouring down his throat at the time....)

Its a sad day when the leader of the worlds biggest country thinks going off to war to kill enemies/civilians/own troops (delete as appropriate) is a fun experience. Mebbie Boots will start doing it as one of those adventure day out things you see on the shelves......
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Right-wing nut.
    Nope......I think that if Obama gets the democrat seat then America is going to vote McCain instead.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sirdj View Post
    Nope......I think that if Obama gets the democrat seat then America is going to vote McCain instead.
    Not entirely inconceivable it'd happen with Hillary at the helm, either.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    http://www.reuters.com/article/polit...e=politicsNews

Particularly grating quotes;

"I must say, I'm a little envious," Bush said. "If I were slightly younger and not employed here, I think it would be a fantastic experience to be on the front lines of helping this young democracy succeed."

"It must be exciting for you ... in some ways romantic, in some ways, you know, confronting danger. You're really making history, and thanks," Bush said.

Apart from all the killing and the dying, etc. That might put a bit of a dampener on how 'fantastic' or romantic the whole experience is. Very few Vietnam vets I know, who actually went over when he was too busy working on political compaigns, look back at their war experiences as fun experiences.

Spoken like a bloke who never fought himself, really. Managed to avoid active duty by serving in the National Guard, much like the other rich kids of the day. I mean, geez, I know it's a cliche and all but seriously, where is this bloke's head at?

Dubya should do some writing for 'Mills and Boom'
    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

"There's more chance of SoC making a good post than Smith averaging 99.95." - Furball

"**** you're such a **** poster." - Furball

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Haha. Even bigger right-wing nut.

*hides from man with gun*
    Unless you're a stationary target, you've got little to worry about.

Although this does lead me to wonder about the biggest pro-gun argument and that is one of self-defense. In most circumstances, a gun is a hindrance. Even against someone with a gun (assuming they're not militarily trained). A few weeks of training in some of the stuff I've done for a while now and you can take down just about any mugger, person with a knife, etc. again assuming they themselves are untrained (which is the case 90% of the time). An example of its real-world application was when a mate of mine got mugged by a bloke armed with a revolver; my mate, who'd been training with me for about two months, broke his would-be mugger's arm in 5 places with a relatively basic trap and hold. It's not even an issue of strength or speed/agility; a properly trained smaller person, male or female, can do much damage because although a big person might have bigger muscles, ligaments and tendons snap just the same whether you're 5'2" or 6'11".

Guns often just make a situation worse because they intimidate opponents. Incidentally, in working for the Police, I used guns regularly in training and have been to a range to fire everything up to a .50 Desert Eagle and it was only when I did that, I realised how unwieldly guns in general are and I weight train, am hardly a small bloke, etc. The self protection argument, unless in very specific circumstances, is largely bogus.

That said, guns are fun to shoot at ranges.

International Captain

That cup beside the jacket resembles the liposuc'd material storage !!
    R.I..P ........ Fardin Qayuumi
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Good luck at the hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Fraz is always the best option IMO
    frazbest@hotmail.com

I do very well against moving clay pigeons too. I'm not at a marksman level or anything, but I'm getting closer.

Although this does lead me to wonder about the biggest pro-gun argument and that is one of self-defense.
    It is one of them, but really it doesn't apply to me personally. If someone is in my house, I'd get to go downstairs, get a rifle, put the muzzle on, get my cartridge, load it and then try to find it.

Plus, shooting a high powered rifle in a residential area is not really an option - if you miss it's going to go through the neighbor's house.

In most circumstances, a gun is a hindrance. Even against someone with a gun (assuming they're not militarily trained). A few weeks of training in some of the stuff I've done for a while now and you can take down just about any mugger, person with a knife, etc. again assuming they themselves are untrained (which is the case 90% of the time). An example of its real-world application was when a mate of mine got mugged by a bloke armed with a revolver; my mate, who'd been training with me for about two months, broke his would-be mugger's arm in 5 places with a relatively basic trap and hold. It's not even an issue of strength or speed/agility; a properly trained smaller person, male or female, can do much damage because although a big person might have bigger muscles, ligaments and tendons snap just the same whether you're 5'2" or 6'11".
    I think you have to differentiate between rifles and handguns. I have no use for handguns, but realistically, those are your only option for defense. And they do a fine job at that. But most of the gun crimes are also done with handguns, so its a double edged sword. You can't really commit crimes with rifles - they are too unwieldy to hide and carry around. Sure some major shootings are done with rifles, but those are very rare and make up a small percentage of overall violence.

Anyone who knows me personally will tell you a "stationary target" is pretty much exactly what I am.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar

Although this does lead me to wonder about the biggest pro-gun argument and that is one of self-defense. In most circumstances, a gun is a hindrance. Even against someone with a gun (assuming they're not militarily trained). A few weeks of training in some of the stuff I've done for a while now and you can take down just about any mugger, person with a knife, etc. again assuming they themselves are untrained (which is the case 90% of the time). An example of its real-world application was when a mate of mine got mugged by a bloke armed with a revolver; my mate, who'd been training with me for about two months, broke his would-be mugger's arm in 5 places with a relatively basic trap and hold. It's not even an issue of strength or speed/agility; a properly trained smaller person, male or female, can do much damage because although a big person might have bigger muscles, ligaments and tendons snap just the same whether you're 5'2" or 6'11".

Guns often just make a situation worse because they intimidate opponents. Incidentally, in working for the Police, I used guns regularly in training and have been to a range to fire everything up to a .50 Desert Eagle and it was only when I did that, I realised how unwieldly guns in general are and I weight train, am hardly a small bloke, etc. The self protection argument, unless in very specific circumstances, is largely bogus.

That said, guns are fun to shoot at ranges.
    Theres extremely little you can do, regardless of what kind of martial arts training you have, against someone with a handgun at about 15-30 feet. And at that range even I can hit someone (and that without my glasses).

In 99% of self defense situations, the person with the gun will achieve a favorable outcome over the person without.
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information