Cricket Player Manager
Page 45 of 60 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Travel thread

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Shame you weren't flying to London a month earlier Turb, I could have waited at the airport to kick the **** out of you

Catch some cricket when you get to England, obv.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    that park is ****ing scary. literally about 50 people either passed out or sh00ting up.
    It was so tempting to say yes to a couple of the girls offering me a Brendon Julian when I was there but I had no idea their age or if I'd get mugged/bashed or something from someone else.

I loved Prague though, Turbs, I think should try and get to Budapest too. Are there any events or anything that you plan on seeing?

boonie would have said yes without a second thought ftr
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Doubt he would have been asked ftr.

assumed, you're right.

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I've used Euro rail passes on the two occasions I've been to Europe and I think they are really good overall. The first time was unlimited countries for one month and then this past time was the 10 trip within 2 months period that you are thinking of choosing. Unfortunately though, during peak season you really have to make sure you book ahead and there are booking fees and extras on like night travel (say for that Paris to Barcelona leg).

I wouldn't really recommend camping while using Eurail passes. Once you've been on a train for ages, I guess you just want to take your backpack to a hostel and explore the city. Camping IMO would be fun, but more likely if you were travelling around in a kombi van or something and going to smaller places.

If you do go with the 10 trip saver, don't waste it on small trips and don't fill out your form until you see the inspector as you can possibly get away without being checked
    Yeah I will have to figure out what the deal is with the extra charge on night travel, which could pose a bit of a problem. And yeah, will look mainly into hostels and B&Bs. As far as I've checked, the price difference isn't as substantial. But may look into camping once or twice just for the experience. Thanks a lot for the tips/suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Been to all those last month. The way I planned it ended up being too hectic until I got to Florence. I would suggest something along the lines of what NUFAN suggested. Set up base in Florence, not sure what deals you're looking for, but you can get a cheap B&B by San Marco's square. There are buses that run all day from there to the station, plus it's at the northern tip of the heart of Firenze. You can easily walk to the Accademia to see Michelangelo's David, keep walking to get to the Cathedral which is amazing to say the least (don't be a pussy and climb the dome, it's what inspired Michelangelo to build St. Peter's dome). You can keep heading south from there and end up at the Uffizi gallery, and I believe Santa Croce church is nearby, and further south is the famous Ponte Vechhio bridge. If you're really into walking you can go all the way up to Piazza Michelangelo, which overlooks the whole city, or just take a bus there.

From Florence's Santa Maria Novella station, you can take a train to Pisa Centrale. I specify this station for two reasons. There is a bus that takes you to the Field of Miracles (where the tower is) and back to the station. You need about 2 - 3 hours in the town tbh. But more importantly, you can take trains from there to Cinque Terre via La Spezia or Sarzana.

Now in Cinque Terre, we only did a few hours in Manarola and a little bit in Riomaggiore and Vernazza, so we had to be pretty watchful of our time as the trains don't go up there as often as you would think. But if you're with a bunch of guys, I'd do a night in one of the towns and just hike from city to city, which I believe equates to just a couple of hours of actual hiking. I do believe you need a pass to do the hike and some trails are sometimes closed, so find out before you do it. I really wish I had more time in Italy because I would definitely have stayed there for longer. Just so...beautiful. Tuscany really left an impression on me and we didn't even go to Sienna!

We did 5 nights in Rome, but really had three days to see everything due my wife's ankle issues as well as pouring rain. First things first, get a Roma pass!! It saves you so much time it's ridiculous. Basically all buses and metros rides are free for three days, plus free entry in to the Colosseum and surrounding areas.

What you do in Rome is dependent on what interests you. I would reserve a day to just do the Colosseum, Roman Forum, and Palatine Hill at the least. And if you have the time, get to the Spanish steps and walk back to the Trevi fountain, and then to the Pantheon. I loved doing that, especially at night (though you can't enter the Pantheon after 6pm). The National Museum of Rome (not Italy, there's a difference) is a must if you're into Roman history, otherwise use that time for something else like taking a trip to Mount Vesuvius and hitting Pompeii and Herculaneum on the way. You can do a day in Napoli I guess. Though unfortunately we didn't have time to go south of Roma at all.

You need a full day in the Vatican. St. Peter's Basilica is amazing (climb the dome for a nice view of Rome) and the Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel's ceiling, and the Castle are a must as well.

Aside from the places you mentioned, we did two nights in Milan and another two in Venice. Trains from Florence go to both in relatively short time so if you're curious, you can do a day trip to Milan but hang around the Cathedral. It is by far the most intricate building I have ever seen. And you can go to Como from there as well, all within a day. A day trip to Venice is enough too. You can arrive by train to Santa Lucia station, get a day pass for the boats, and see most of Venice within a day and go back. There is a boat that goes through the Grand Canal hitting every stop on the way. That's the one you want (I think it's the #1 boat). It ends near Piazza San Marco, which is the main reason I even wanted to go there (aside from having a chick with me).

Hope that helps. Hit me up for more tips if you want, and soon, while my memory is fresh! Buy Rick Steeve's travel guide. It is ridiculously accurate. Even the bus fares were right!
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Between Florence and Rome there's a little town called 'Cortona' that's worth a look. If you leave early enough in the morning you can jump off the train, go up the hill and have a look around for a few hours, then walk back down the hill and catch another train to Rome.

Make time in Brussels to catch the train to Bruges, it's a stunning place.

As for Prague, my tip would be to go there for a look and (if you have time) catch the bus to Cesky Krumlov. Last time I was in Prague I didn't really like the increase in strip club touts and people trying to sell you drugs in the main square. Also saw a woman shooting up in the park opposite the main train station with a baby in a pram next to her. The castle and all the architecture there is amazing though. And if you can walk a couple of streets back to get away from the hordes and hordes of tourists in and around the main square and find a quiet place then it is really nice being able to wander an empty street looking at the buildings. I'd recommend visiting the bridge later in the evening or early in the morning too, otherwise it'll be you and a million of your newest friends. There's a really nice view from a park up above the city of the whole scene - very nice for a photo.

If you don't have time too go to Cesky Krumlov then I'd make a day trip to Kutna Hora (catch a train from Prague Station I think). They have the bone church there and it's only an hour on the train to get there.

In Vienna keep an eye out for the free concert at Schonbrunn Palace (although it might be too late). If you're there on a Sunday then you can see the Viennese Boy's Choir for free if you line up early. And there's a really great wine tour of the Wachau Valley for about 50 Euro.

I'll stop now
    Wow, thanks a ton guys for all the great advice here. Slightly overwhelming, but I have a good four weeks to plan everything out.

@NP – We’ve made sure to assign a full day for Vatican. Just to get an idea, how long were you in Italy for? Because I think one of the biggest issues for us will be the time constraint, especially with it being peak season. I will most likely have more questions for you, later in the week, when I start planning out the key points of interest. So will hit you up at some point, if that’s cool? I’ll definitely look into the Roma pass as well.

@Coco – Yeah, we’ve kept Bruges as an option as well. Will love to check it out. One of my buddies has a cousin in Vienna, so we’ll be saving on accommodation there, enough to spread that money across to the wine tour you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Shame you weren't flying to London a month earlier Turb, I could have waited at the airport to kick the **** out of you

Catch some cricket when you get to England, obv.

I will try to! But too bad I won’t be around for the England/SA series. Nothing could make me happier than a day of booing your boys.

I loved Prague though, Turbs, I think should try and get to Budapest too. Are there any events or anything that you plan on seeing?
    Yeah it’s tempting to hit up Budapest, Croatia, and the Greek Islands. But I honestly think I’ll have to keep that leg of the tour for later in life, given I only have about 3.5 - 4 weeks. Would you still recommend fitting Budapest in somewhere, or to replace another destination planned to make time for it?

As for events, I was genuinely considering the Running of the Bulls, but looks like I’ll just miss it (how convenient ). Apart from that, I’ve always wanted to check out the Rhine in Flames, but unfortunately the dates don’t match up. Is there anything you’d recommend for the month of July or early August?
    Last edited by Turbinator; 09-06-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
    @NP Ė Weíve made sure to assign a full day for Vatican. Just to get an idea, how long were you in Italy for? Because I think one of the biggest issues for us will be the time constraint, especially with it being peak season. I will most likely have more questions for you, later in the week, when I start planning out the key points of interest. So will hit you up at some point, if thatís cool? Iíll definitely look into the Roma pass as well.
    Two nights in Milan, two in Venice, four in Florence, and five in Rome. 13 nights in total.

But yeah, ask me whenever you need!
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
    Yeah itís tempting to hit up Budapest, Croatia, and the Greek Islands. But I honestly think Iíll have to keep that leg of the tour for later in life, given I only have about 3.5 - 4 weeks. Would you still recommend fitting Budapest in somewhere, or to replace another destination planned to make time for it?

As for events, I was genuinely considering the Running of the Bulls, but looks like Iíll just miss it (how convenient ). Apart from that, Iíve always wanted to check out the Rhine in Flames, but unfortunately the dates donít match up. Is there anything youíd recommend for the month of July or early August?
    I guess I wouldn't replace Budapest with anywhere really. Your trip sounds awesome as is and you can't go everywhere in 4 weeks. Running of the Bulls is awesome, that's the perfect opportunity to go camping!

There is this event that you might have heard of called the Olympics on around then, perhaps check that out :P But nah, I don't know the exact dates of many events worth seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Two nights in Milan, two in Venice, four in Florence, and five in Rome. 13 nights in total.

But yeah, ask me whenever you need!
    Thoughts on Milan? I've never actually ventured into the city centre, despite visiting the central station on a fair few occasions. Milan for me has always been a stop to get somewhere else.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Thoughts on Milan? I've never actually ventured into the city centre, despite visiting the central station on a fair few occasions. Milan for me has always been a stop to get somewhere else.
    I think that's how it is for most people. It's a lively city that's closer to a Chicago-type than you would think. It's the business center of Italy and it shows. I wouldn't have done two nights there. Not that much to see compared to the rest of my trip, and as I said, a day trip would've been more than enough. That said, the Duomo di Milano is the most intricate building I've ever seen (see attached). We basically hung around the Cathedral's square the whole time we were there. There's also the Da Vinci museum that I believe houses The Last Supper, plus the Sforza Castle is near the main square if you're into castles. I wasn't interested in the business district either so we used the rest of our time to go to Como.

If you're passing by and have a few hours, definitely spend some time in the square, other than that it was pretty much my least favorite city on my itinerary. It's pretty expensive to boot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Mafuggas. Heading to Phuket for 8 days in November. Staying at a resort in Karon beach. Hit me with things to do and see besides laying on the beach. chop chop. Parmi.
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Ping pong balls etc etc.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post
    Mafuggas. Heading to Phuket for 8 days in November. Staying at a resort in Karon beach. Hit me with things to do and see besides laying on the beach. chop chop. Parmi.
    Snorkeling at Coral/Phi Phi Island. Scuba is also fine if you're trained (I'm sure there are courses as well though). River rafting, fishing, trekking, the usual. That elephant ride through the jungle is also pretty cool. Maybe you could catch a game of Muay Thai as well, there's usually a whole bunch scheduled on weekends iirc.

So came back from Europe about 2 months ago. Went to London, Glastonbury, Salisbury, Cheddar, Paris, Barcelona, Florence, Pisa, Rome/Vatican, Vienna, Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam, Brussels (for a couple of hours just to have some Belgian waffles and a Stella Artois), and then back to London. The trip was absolutely phenomenal, had a great time and met a lot of great people along the way. Thanks again to everyone here for all the great advice.

Had the pleasure of experiencing the cultural differences between Europe and North America, and between the different countries I visited. Just a few points on some of the cities, for anyone interested. Each city was fantastic, but I've listed them in order from most to least favourite.

Paris - Just loved the city. Spent 3 nights, but even a week wouldn't have been enough. Imo, the best metro system of all the cities I visited in Europe. Was there on Bastille Day, one of the best nights ever, danced and drank till dawn. Words alone cannot describe my love for Paris. Definitely make it a point to watch the sunset from Sacre Coeur.

Barcelona - Absolutely love this city's vibe. Hands down the most friendliest locals. Everyone is so eager to help. Gaudi architecture, Spanish chicks, the nightlife, the food, the beach, the weather... Beautiful.

Berlin - Quite cosmopolitan for a European city. Checkpoint Charlie, the remnants of the Berlin Wall, Murdered Jews Memorial, Brandenburg Gate, etc. are all fascinating sights to explore.

Prague - What I'd imagine would be the perfect setting for a fairytale. Great beer, but who needs beer when you have Czech absinthe.

Florence

Amsterdam

Rome – Great food, great sights, but too many tourists around. Didn’t quite connect with it. Tip for those wanting to see the Coliseum – enter through the Roman Forum. Much shorter line, won’t have to waste as much time. Went to an American bar during one of the nights, had a few epic games of Beer Pong. It was funny seeing many of the Europeans confused and intrigued by the game. Had some epic gelato as well, both in Florence and Rome.

Vienna

London – Spent quite a bit of time in London, even during the Olympics. Honestly, it’s a decent city, but I can’t imagine how anyone lives there. The weather is repulsive, quite depressing in fact. Smaller cars, smaller houses, smaller streets, smaller portions of food served, and everything is just so much more expensive. Great nightlife, and a lot better drivers than in North America. Also, some of the best Indian food I’ve had. But apart from that, it really didn’t wow me like a lot of the other cities.

All in all, it was a once in a lifetime experience. Love Europe, and hope to cover Greece, Turkey, and Hungary next time. But one thing I could not stand was the fact that water wasn’t free at restaurants, like here in North America. Over here you receive an unlimited supply of water with your meal. Over there you have to pay 2-3 Euros for a small dinky little fancy bottle that does nothing to quench your thirst. Also, the service is a lot better here, things are far too laid back in Europe and that includes the service at restaurants. But then again, you rarely have to tip in Europe, so it all evens out. I was slightly disappointed with the steaks I had, that’s one thing we do have an edge on here.
    Last edited by Turbinator; 30-09-2012 at 12:27 AM.

Ftr, going through platform 9 and 3/4 was a magical experience. Were the only dudes waiting in line, the rest were a bunch of 13 year old girls.
    Last edited by Turbinator; 30-09-2012 at 01:50 AM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    In Canada (Mtl) aws. Heading to New York ****ing City tonight. So k33n.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Page 45 of 60 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread Information