Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Travel thread

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    Never been outside th U.K although I would recomend Devon. Nice place nice people(From what I've seen).
    Haha, yep
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

cpr
    Nibbs is review of Manchester is spot off tbh. City centre's great (unless its a friday or sat night, when Salford descends for its 2 vodka/redbulls and paddywagon back when the electronic tag reads hometime), one of the nicer cities you'll visit nowadays.

Milan is an absolute must to visit, beautiful, especially round the Cathedral. New Yorks also a must at least once in your lifetime, and a trip to the top of the Empire State at night should be done (got to go up the WTC when i was there, the view wasnt as good for some reason, seems eerie to think back to it now).

Whilst in New York, a trip down to Washington DC for a couple of days really is worth it, far more to see, and alot calmer feel to the city.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Nibbs is review of Manchester is spot off tbh. City centre's great (unless its a friday or sat night, when Salford descends for its 2 vodka/redbulls and paddywagon back when the electronic tag reads hometime), one of the nicer cities you'll visit nowadays.

Milan is an absolute must to visit, beautiful, especially round the Cathedral. New Yorks also a must at least once in your lifetime, and a trip to the top of the Empire State at night should be done (got to go up the WTC when i was there, the view wasnt as good for some reason, seems eerie to think back to it now).

Whilst in New York, a trip down to Washington DC for a couple of days really is worth it, far more to see, and alot calmer feel to the city.
    Yeah I heard Manchester was fantastic these days.. And to be fair, you get the dire "bottom of the barrel" type people anywhere in the UK these days..

State Vice-Captain Spitfires_Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    Yeah I heard Manchester was fantastic these days.. And to be fair, you get the dire "bottom of the barrel" type people anywhere in the UK these days..
    Very, very true.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Slovenia is a wonderful place to visit went there 2 summers ago, great scenery, lovely people, everything is dirt cheap hand loads of stuff to do.

Also went to Lago de Garda and Verona and they were probably my favourite places after Salzburg, which is the gunnest place I've been to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    Never been outside the U.K although I would recomend Devon. Nice place nice people(From what I've seen).
    get off moi land, yah stinkin' grockle! Deb'uns fur peeple loike me 'an mine. Why is it called the tourist season if we can't shoot them?

I have a love-hate relationship with tourists in Devon... yeah, we need the money, but my god some of them are stupid.

There used to be a corner shop in my home town, it closed down more than a decade ago now, but some tourists went in there once and asked the guy who owned it (known as a joker) what was worth seeing. He told them Luppitt's beautiful harbour was unmissable.

Cue five hours later two bemused, frightened and disconsolate tourists turning up in Honiton, talking about how they'd searched far and wide for it but couldn't find it... because Luppitt is about ten miles from the sea!

Luppitt harbour quickly gained legendary status in East Devon. Really nice people aren't we?
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubb View Post
    get off moi land, yah stinkin' grockle! Deb'uns fur peeple loike me 'an mine. Why is it called the tourist season if we can't shoot them?

I have a love-hate relationship with tourists in Devon... yeah, we need the money, but my god some of them are stupid.

There used to be a corner shop in my home town, it closed down more than a decade ago now, but some tourists went in there once and asked the guy who owned it (known as a joker) what was worth seeing. He told them Luppitt's beautiful harbour was unmissable.

Cue five hours later two bemused, frightened and disconsolate tourists turning up in Honiton, talking about how they'd searched far and wide for it but couldn't find it... because Luppitt is about ten miles from the sea!

Luppitt harbour quickly gained legendary status in East Devon. Really nice people aren't we?
    Haha, I'm seeing a girl in Bradninch at the moment.. Deadset funniest place.. Saw an Indian feller' there the other day

ret
    visited - Dubai, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Holland & France

visited when a kid - Singapore, HK, Taiwan, Japan & UK, along with some of the countries from the list above
    Fastest gun in town

International Regular DCC_legend's Avatar
    Have visited: Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney, Paris, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dublin and Birmingham.

Would like to visit: Melbourne (again) Auckland, Wellington, Tokyo, Dubai (have already been there but only for about an hour), New York, Boston, Moscow to name but a few.
    Where's my money?

We have the possibility of moving to Ghana for at least a few years.

Our immediate thought is an absolute 'No', but its a better job and it could be great.

Anyone with first hand experience of Ghana?
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    We have the possibility of moving to Ghana for at least a few years.

Our immediate thought is an absolute 'No', but its a better job and it could be great.

Anyone with first hand experience of Ghana?
    I know some people who lived in Nigeria, which I'd imagine to be a similar environment.. Basically higher walls than Pretoria, keep in your nice accomodation which I'd imagine would be second to none.. Very interesting but probably not the best place to bring up kids?

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post

Been to the San Siro? When they let off the flares it sounds like a bomb has gone off. I only went there on a day trip because everybody told me it was a ****hole.

Countries I've been aside from New Zealand and Australia, have been France, England, Italy, Spain, Estonia (have never been anywhere where there is a strip club right next to where I was staying), Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Austria (about half a day because I got lost and ended up there), Slovakia, Czech Republic and Germany. Been to Singapore airport three times but never actually been outside of the building.

Planning to go next year, would love to go to Finland, Russia, Belarus (if you can get in), Ukraine and downwards. Wouldn't mind Belgium as with all the Belgian people I've met have greeted me like I'm there long lost cousin.

Rome is about as over-rated as they get, sure they have the famous landmarks and the Vatican, but way too many tourists and pretty pricey. Perugia is interesting with their stuff you attitute, it's 35-39c outside and trying to find a shop that is open to buy water but they all shut past 12.30pm and even the supermarket was shut the whole day. Naples is an eye-opener. Trash everywhere, graffiti, and before some dodgy **** tries to sell you a stolen lap-top or camera.

I felt that in Frankfurt they were a bunch of tossers, and then in Warsaw (and you see a million flyer's to go to the nearest brothel) got was just another big city (although I did hear the song 'I came from land downunder' on the radio there ). Estonia, Latvia (can have a good night out and it costs you bugger all), and Lithuania are three of the best countries I've been too in my life.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    before some dodgy **** tries to sell you a stolen lap-top
    They obviously hadn't read your rant...

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    I've been to:

England (London, Plymouth, a lot of spots in Cornwall and around the rest of Devon, Manchester)
    Scotland (Edinburgh, Glasgow, Isle of Skye, Barra, various trips up into the Highlands)
    Spain (L'Estartit, Barcelona)
    France (Paris)
    Italy (Rome, Bologna, Florence, Bari, Sorrento, Amalfi Coast)
    Greece (Athens, The Islands: Santorini, Paros, Antiparos)
    Croatia (Zagreb, Split, Dubrovnik, The Islands: Hvar, Bol, and another I can't remember, drove around the Istrian Peninsula from the Slovenian border to Split, Plitvice Lakes)
    Bosnia (Mostar, Sarajevo)
    Serbia (Belgrade)
    Romania (Bucharest, Transylvanian Alps: Brasov)
    Hungary (Budapest, Sentendre, Eger)
    Poland (Krakow, Zakopane, Lublin, Warsaw, Gdansk, Wroclaw)
    The Netherlands (Amsterdam)
    Belgium (Brussels, Brugges)
    Slovakia (Bratislava)
    Slovenia (Ljubljana, Bled, The famous caves out towards the coast at Divaca (Skocjan Caves), Piran)
    Sweden (Stockholm, Varnamo, Gotland (Visby), Jonkoping, Vaxjo, Gothenburg, Malmo, Halmstad, Boras, Granna)
    Denmark (Copenhagen)
    Iceland (Reykjavik, Vik)
    Germany (Berlin)
    Czech Republic (Prague, Usti Nad Labem, Cesky Krumlov)
    Austria (Vienna)
    Japan (Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Hiroshima, skifields, etc. Was a one year student exchange.)

My favourite...probably the Scandinavian countries. Least favourite was Bucharest...then probably Paris, but only because it was early in my travels and I don't think I made the most of it.

I'll try to find some photos for each country and post them.

A highlight from the last trip was sitting up in the castle above Piran with a mate talking rubbish and watching the sun set over the town. Behind us there was a soccer field and a local team, who we dubbed 'The Slovenian National Team', were practising. One guy knocked over all the witches hats (there were 4) while trying to dribble between them. Great fun.

I'd highly recommend going to Croatia (Plitvice Lakes are outstanding), Edinburgh, the Amalfi Coast, Bosnia, Sweden, Iceland, Denmark, Slovenia (especially Bled and the areas around it...as someone elses picture shows, it's a beautiful place...except for the big hotel or two on the lake ), Brugges, Gdansk, Zakopane & Krakow (they're near each other), Transylvanian Alps, Edinburgh & The Highlands, Isle of Skye, Cornwall, Cesky Krumlov. The Skocjan Caves are wonderful...get there by 1pm at the latest to do the tour

I'd avoid Prague in the tourist season...it's a mess and the large number of tourist groups following flags/bottles/annoying voices and narrow lanes end up pissing you off. There are also a lot of people wandering the town square these days offering drugs, sex, access to strip shows. The Central Train Station is dingy and feels very dodgy. Fortunately most trains from other countries come in at a different station but some local trips (like the train to the town that has the bone church) leave from Central Station. When I arrived back from the bone church I crossed the road from the train station and saw a lady with a baby shooting up in the park. It's no different to any other city I suppose, but it's changed quite a bit since I was there 4 years ago. Having said that, Charles Bridge is stunning in the evening/early morning and if you are lucky enough to find yourself in a laneway on your own surrounded by old buildings it's beautiful...even when you wake up 5 hours later lying on cobblestones without your wallet

Bucharest was pretty ordinary in my opinion. But then we were only there for 5 hours...the Parliament Building (or Palace) is very impressive.

Plymouth is good for a visit to the Barbican on the way to Bude or Tintagel on the Cornwall Coast. Half a day should do it...I was there for 7 months
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 20-03-2008 at 12:30 AM.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    I've been to: England, Scotland, Spain, France, Italy, Greece, Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, Romania, Hungary, Poland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, Japan...I think that's it.

I'll fill in the cities (and the rest of the info asked for) later.
    In one weekend?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread Information