Cricket Player Manager
Page 23 of 61 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Travel thread

Some rentals have much cheaper monthly rates (saw Hertz w/ Pontiac G6 at 1,876/month from NY to SF, which is not bad if N>=2). Try to avoid airport pickup/drop off (extra taxes, I think). Check if your CC covers collision, and don't go with the smallest car, since you'll be traveling a lot and want to max your chance of survival.

But you likely know some of this having lived in NY and Oregon (is it?)

Sounds like a fun trip. I've done it twice, but once was a move with a UHaul, dragging my car in tow.

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Cheers guys! Will be there exactly a month Sanz. We thought of the idea of flying in between, but wthe plan was from the start coast to coast,so we'll take the good and the bad.
    In that case you traveling through Steeler Nation ?

Haha, fair enough. What about going north through Iowa and Nebraska? Are they any good? Could also fit Yellowstone in if we went up through Wyoming and down to Colorado.
    I don't know much about Iowa/Nebraska but If you are going to be driving cross country, then you should make a stop at Mount Rushmore, South Dakota.

Iowa- Rapid City (Mt. Rushmore) -> Yellowstone -> Colorado -> Utah -> Arizona -> Nevada -> California

Quote Originally Posted by Quaggas View Post
    Some rentals have much cheaper monthly rates (saw Hertz w/ Pontiac G6 at 1,876/month from NY to SF, which is not bad if N>=2). Try to avoid airport pickup/drop off (extra taxes, I think). Check if your CC covers collision, and don't go with the smallest car, since you'll be traveling a lot and want to max your chance of survival.
    Yeah, think we might pick the car up in NJ to avoid the fees.

But you likely know some of this having lived in NY and Oregon (is it?)
    Never been to Oregon, was thinking of flying to Portland at the end but leaning against it, is it any good?
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    In that case you traveling through Steeler Nation ?
    Yeah, want to stop past Pittsburgh and Gettysburg. Is that where you're from? Would love to catch up for a beer.

I don't know much about Iowa/Nebraska but If you are going to be driving cross country, then you should make a stop at Mount Rushmore, South Dakota.

Iowa- Rapid City (Mt. Rushmore) -> Yellowstone -> Colorado -> Utah -> Arizona -> Nevada -> California
    Is Mt Rushmore worth the detour?

Never been to Oregon, was thinking of flying to Portland at the end but leaning against it, is it any good?
    Oregon is just absolutely gorgeous. Some of the best scenery in the US IMO. Worth a stop.

Oregon is amazing at this time (September-December) of the year, From my experience of traveling to the region, Best time to visit Oregon/Washington.

If you are going to be in SFO, you might as well do about 8 Hr drive to Crater Lake, Oregon . Or you can also drive down from Lake Tahoe to Crater Lake which is about 6 hours.

Infact I would suggest that instead of doing the cross Country drive, Why not fly to seattle and then Seattle ->Portland -> Crater Lake -> Lake Tahoe -> SFO -LA ->Vegas.....and rest of the trip.

I have traveled a lot in the US and IMO Northwest is one of the most beautiful regions in the country.

Yeah, want to stop past Pittsburgh and Gettysburg. Is that where you're from? Would love to catch up for a beer.
    Yes. This has been my home for more than 12 years now. Would love to meet up, SS isn't too far from here either, maybe we can meet up.

Is Mt Rushmore worth the detour?
    Honestly couldn't answer that, have never been there, but plan to visit soon.
    Last edited by Sanz; 22-09-2010 at 11:11 AM.

Me neither. Seattle is closest I've visited, must have been a bad time of year since it rained the entire week (work related visit, so wasn't catastrophic). As Sanz confirms, have heard Oregon's beautiful, so go if you plan hikes, but personally I'd go with NO (don't forget the surrounding bayous; take a swamp tour).
    Last edited by Quaggas; 23-09-2010 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    I'm going to the Melbourne Cup this year (locusts notwithstanding), woot
    Vodka inside those soft Ribena tubes, FTW.

Pinball Champion!
    Munich Airport
    Any experiences with this place? My flight from Joburg gets in half an hour before my flight to London leaves.. Its not a train smash if I miss it but, what are my chances? I don't have much experience with connecting flights, and assume my luggage goes straight through?
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    Munich Airport
    Any experiences with this place? My flight from Joburg gets in half an hour before my flight to London leaves.. Its not a train smash if I miss it but, what are my chances? I don't have much experience with connecting flights, and assume my luggage goes straight through?
    Strange, I would of thought they would of flown to Frankfurt instead. Can't speak for the airport in Munich though, but the airport in Frankfurt is huge, to the point that I thought I was going to miss my plane because I almost got lost trying to find the check-in.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Heading over to Mumbai in the next couple of weeks

Original plan was to stay for a maximum of 1 night but everyone I've spoke to raves about the place so might extend

Any tips?

Tell GI Joe to get back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Tell GI Joe to get back to work.
    wot? I don't know how you know, but I'm trying and I've got an interview this week, so get off my case
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Its doable and all depends on your interests, Personally Id stay away from the midwest but I can only speak for myself.
    Just out of curiosity, why?
    Forever 63* at the SCG

Page 23 of 61 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread Information