Page 125 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,875 of 2049
Like Tree567Likes

Thread: Travel thread

State Regular
    I wish I could travel.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    The country. If you like mountains, wine and churches built in ridiculously beautiful locations it is the place to go.
    Also appeals to my alleged Stalinist predilections.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke
    #FreeShri
    #408. Sixty three not out forever.

Oh you can get plenty of Stalin themed souvenirs.

**** I wish I'd known you were going, I'd have had you collect a couple for me so I could give them to Ausage and Corrin.
    GoodAreasShane likes this.

International Vice-Captain GoodAreasShane's Avatar
    Somewhere vaguely near the Mercantile Mutual sign
    Going up to Townsville this weekend for the Supercars race, leaving Thursday morning, probably won't be on here much if at all until I get back. Be nice to get out of drizzling Adelaide and into the sun for a while
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrat Garlick View Post
    glad to not have found out the real name of GoodAreasShane, as it allows me to keep imagining that at club cricket his mates shout "good areas, GoodAreasShane"
    Grew up wanting to be Warnie, couldn't even crack Daniel Doran level

Request Your Custom Title Now! zorax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Heading to Hong Kong for 5 days in September. Primarily for a concert.

No doubt many of you have been before, any insider tips, which area to stay, etc?
    Hi James! There's a ton of things to do here in HK, really depends on what you're interests are. I can suggest a few resources that can help you with planning the trip:

HK TOURISM GUIDE ??????
    Discover Hong Kong - Official Travel Guide from the Hong Kong Tourism Board
    Enjoy Hiking The Hong Kong Trail
    https://www.museums.gov.hk/en_US/web...our-visit.html
    https://www.lcsd.gov.hk/en/parks/hkp/index.html
    https://www.openrice.com/en/hongkong
    Hong Kong Art Gallery Association | Official Website
    https://thehkhub.com/events-whats-on-in-hong-kong/
    Hong Kong?s Nightlife and Entertainment Guide - hkclubbing.com

The main thing to keep in mind is that in September the weather in HK is going to be hot, and very rainy. Plan accordingly.

The public transport infrastructure in HK is really good, so I would suggest using that. The MTR and two 'big bus' services (CityBus and KMB/LWB) have apps that can help you plan your trip, and Google Maps is quite reliable. Pretty cheap and easy to get a short-term sim card as well (any 7/11 should sell them, especially the one at the airport) and WiFi is abundant, so getting around will be easy. I would generally avoid mini-buses if you're only hear a short time -they can take a while to learn how to use, as they don't always follow predictable routes and you often need to tell the driver where you're going and when you want to get off. In terms of taxi services - local taxis are cheaper, but often an Uber will be more tourist-friendly. Taxi drivers here often aren't the most pleasant of people.

For accommodation - everywhere is expensive. Give the ease of moving about HK, you don't need to worry too much about where you're staying. Find a good hotel that fits in you're budget and that is somewhat close to an MTR or major bus stop, and you're fine. It's well worth exploring AirBnB here, I hear they're much better value for money.

And if you're keen to watch some cricket while you're here, there will be local club games every Saturday and Sunday. If the weather is good, you can drop by Mission Road or PKVR Park with a few beers and maybe a snack and enjoy a game
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Didn't realise zorax was responsible for the HK tourism board spam emails, thought he only clicked power points.
    zorax and GoodAreasShane like this.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Hi James! There's a ton of things to do here in HK, really depends on what you're interests are. I can suggest a few resources that can help you with planning the trip:

HK TOURISM GUIDE ??????
    Discover Hong Kong - Official Travel Guide from the Hong Kong Tourism Board
    Enjoy Hiking The Hong Kong Trail
    https://www.museums.gov.hk/en_US/web...our-visit.html
    https://www.lcsd.gov.hk/en/parks/hkp/index.html
    https://www.openrice.com/en/hongkong
    Hong Kong Art Gallery Association | Official Website
    https://thehkhub.com/events-whats-on-in-hong-kong/
    Hong Kong?s Nightlife and Entertainment Guide - hkclubbing.com

The main thing to keep in mind is that in September the weather in HK is going to be hot, and very rainy. Plan accordingly.

The public transport infrastructure in HK is really good, so I would suggest using that. The MTR and two 'big bus' services (CityBus and KMB/LWB) have apps that can help you plan your trip, and Google Maps is quite reliable. Pretty cheap and easy to get a short-term sim card as well (any 7/11 should sell them, especially the one at the airport) and WiFi is abundant, so getting around will be easy. I would generally avoid mini-buses if you're only hear a short time -they can take a while to learn how to use, as they don't always follow predictable routes and you often need to tell the driver where you're going and when you want to get off. In terms of taxi services - local taxis are cheaper, but often an Uber will be more tourist-friendly. Taxi drivers here often aren't the most pleasant of people.

For accommodation - everywhere is expensive. Give the ease of moving about HK, you don't need to worry too much about where you're staying. Find a good hotel that fits in you're budget and that is somewhat close to an MTR or major bus stop, and you're fine. It's well worth exploring AirBnB here, I hear they're much better value for money.

And if you're keen to watch some cricket while you're here, there will be local club games every Saturday and Sunday. If the weather is good, you can drop by Mission Road or PKVR Park with a few beers and maybe a snack and enjoy a game
    Thanks very much for taking the time to put that together zorax. Greatly appreciated

I'll go through your links, and let you know any questions I have.

The insider tip surrounding the cricket is very appealing, so I'll certainly look into that
    zorax likes this.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Hi James! There's a ton of things to do here in HK, really depends on what you're interests are. If you are interested in good desserts I can suggest the following:

Predictable.
    zorax, Daemon, vcs and 1 others like this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Going on a 15 day Europe trip sometime in Nov-Dec.

My friend works and lives in Geneva and will be with me so we’ll start there but what else would you guys recommend?

I haven’t been to before, we’ll probably be staying in backpacker type accomadation.

I’m really up for anything and know that 2 weeks is a short time so I don’t want to rush it to see as many places as possible but want to enjoy a few places. At the same time, obv don’t want to stay in Switzerland throughout. Also will definitely go back in the near future so have no fomo.

Also would love specific tips/comments/experiences.
    Shamefully I've never been, but Florence is widely considered the most unmissable European city and shouldn't be too hard to get to from Geneva. And once you're in Florence you may as well see Rome.

Other than that I'm not sure there's much to choose between the great European cities, everyone has different preferences. Personally I love Madrid.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Crete, Berlin and Vienna probably my favourite European destinations.

Evil Scotsman
    Berlin, Prague, Krakow.
    GIMH likes this.

Evil Scotsman
    Had a great week doing a bit of island hopping.

The west coast of Scotland is absolutely beautiful. A week spent on Islay sipping excellent whisky and gin by a fire built on a beautiful white beach watching amazing sunsets was absolute bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Berlin, Prague, Krakow.
    Furball favouring the Wermacht 1939 itinerary here

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Had a great week doing a bit of island hopping.

The west coast of Scotland is absolutely beautiful. A week spent on Islay sipping excellent whisky and gin by a fire built on a beautiful white beach watching amazing sunsets was absolute bliss.
    Mrs Burgey’s step mum, who’s not averse to spending the inheritance it must be said, is doing an Iceland- Faroe Islands - Scotland - North England trip aws. She’s currently in York and heading off to meet friends in Manc. Seems to be having a nice time, but an odd lady in this one sense:

She will buy a business class air fare between Sydney and Melbourne, and does qantas first class on all long haul flights, yet wouldn’t pay £11 to get into York Minster because “I thought it was a bit steep.”
    Last edited by Burgey; 02-07-2019 at 05:13 AM.
    harsh.ag likes this.

Thread Information