Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Musharraf's foes triumph at polls

Musharraf's foes triumph at polls

Well at least they can't accuse him of rigging the elections!

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Well at least they can't accuse him of rigging the elections!
    this is the first time since he grabbed power that he hasn't...

Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    That may be so. He is also probably the first politician in power who allowed free and transparent elections to take place. The likes of Nawaz and Benazir never finished out their terms due to corruption charges. In any case, it will be interesting to see how things play out. Will the opposition get enough seats (2/3 majority) to impeach him? I foresee a hung parliament with nothing getting accomplish for the next year at least. There will probably be another election after a year, or two at the most.

It'll be seen whether Mush remains as the President or not. If he doesn't step down, then the situation in Pakistan unfortunately won't be affected positively as it should be.

Hmmm, in 1999 Mush trounced Nawaz Sharif. Today the same guy defeated him, and had Bhutto not been killed the PPP wouldn't have gained as many sympathy votes.
    Yaju
    Self Proclaimed World's Greatest 12th Man.

I like wasting homo sapiens' time - like the way I wasted yours just now.

Quote Originally Posted by 5N1p3R j0C|<
    Why are you wasting time your reading others' quotes?
    Quote Originally Posted by DD
    <quack>

That may be so. He is also probably the first politician in power who allowed free and transparent elections to take place.
    under immense pressure from the u.s...otherwise we would have seen the same old farce enacted again, do you doubt that?

under immense pressure from the u.s...otherwise we would have seen the same old farce enacted again, do you doubt that?
    Pressure from US certainly had something to do with it. But if he was truly power hungry, he could've ignored the pressure and never take off his uniform or hold the elections in the first place. The Army, Musharraf's source of power, is solidly behind him. He could've continued to rule with an iron fist for years to come. The US needs Musharraf more than the other way around, so I doubt they could've done anything about it. I think his detractors fail to see his positive points. IMO, he took Pakistan towards the right path after the 9/11 events. It was an extremely difficult period and he did an admirable job in navigating Pakistan through it. I firmly believe he wants to see a "sustainable democracy" for Pakistan. However, that doesn't happen overnight and there were a lot of setbacks that he suffered in making that happen. Most of all though, the alternatives to Musharraf (Zardari and Nawaz) simply sicken me and I shudder to think what would happen if they ran the country unchecked.

Why because he lost this time ? What are the chances that he would have been accused of rigging the polls had his party (or whatever party he was supporting) won the selections ?

IMO he was in a no-win situation here, even before the results came out, Nawaz was crying about riggings. Now he has lost it, it suddenly has become the verdict of the people. Musharraf didn't lose because he was unpopular but because he doesn't have a political base just like Imran.

If you watch the poll results carefully, you will know that neither Nawaz nor Zardari have got full vote of confidence of people of Pakistan.

Most of all though, the alternatives to Musharraf (Zardari and Nawaz) simply sicken me and I shudder to think what would happen if they ran the country unchecked.
    Indeed. If I were a Pakistani and knew my history I would be **** scared to see Mr. 10 % (Zardari) and Nawaz forming a coallition to lead Pakistan. These are the biggest plunderers of Pakistani wealth in the history of Pakistan and I dont think anything has changed since their last rule.

It is funny how they are ganging up on Musharraf and demanding him to go even before they have formed a government. They know it very well that as long as Musharraf is there, they will not succeed in their Nadirshah ways.

Quote Originally Posted by yaju View Post
    Hmmm, in 1999 Mush trounced Nawaz Sharif. Today the same guy defeated him, and had Bhutto not been killed the PPP wouldn't have gained as many sympathy votes.
    Mush didn't trounce Nawaz. Mr. Sharif tried to kill him ala Zia ul Haq, somehow Mush survived . After that he acted upon the wish of the People of Pakistan who were sick of Nawaz.

Any prediction of how long it will take before Imran Khan runs to the army and begs them to dismiss the democratically elected government ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Why because he lost this time ? What are the chances that he would have been accused of rigging the polls had his party (or whatever party he was supporting) won the selections ?

IMO he was in a no-win situation here, even before the results came out, Nawaz was crying about riggings. Now he has lost it, it suddenly has become the verdict of the people. Musharraf didn't lose because he was unpopular but because he doesn't have a political base just like Imran.
    if his party had "won" in a landslide(which is what all those "referendums" resulted in), it would undoubtedly have been due to rigging and based on past history, sharif had more than enough reason to cry about rigging...it definitely looks more like the verdict of the pakistani people this time compared to all prior occasions after mush grabbed power...and what exactly does this political base amount to, the lack of which cost him the election? does he have a name-recognition issue in the country? he lost because he was seriously unpopular among large pockets of the general populace...

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    If you watch the poll results carefully, you will know that neither Nawaz nor Zardari have got full vote of confidence of people of Pakistan.
    sure, but it does show a clear lack of confidence in musharraf...i am not thrilled with the alternatives either but that is the ground reality there right now...

.and what exactly does this political base amount to, the lack of which cost him the election? does he have a name-recognition issue in the country? he lost because he was seriously unpopular among large pockets of the general populace...
    In a democratic system, it is very important to have a political base otherwise you will never be able to form a government. Take Imran Khan for example, when he formed his party, he was more popular than any other leader in Pakistan yet his political party barely won any seats.

Same way Musharraf doesn't have a political base, the party he was supporting is PML Q, MQM coallition and this coallition has won(60) almost as many seats as PML Nawaz(66).

Had Musharraf contested in 1999 election (when he was extremely popular) on his own, he still would have lost because of the lack of political base.

if his party had "won" in a landslide(which is what all those "referendums" resulted in), it would undoubtedly have been due to rigging and based on past history, sharif had more than enough reason to cry about rigging......
    Pakistan had parliamentary elections in 2002 and I dont think there was any official rigging involved. Yes Benazir and Nawaz were barred from contesting elections but those elections were held with 100s of international observers in Pakistan watching the proceedings.

Chopper Challenge Champion! Roulette Champion!
    i'd prefer to see musharraf in power, personally
    "Matt Damon"

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information