Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The stock market thread

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar

The stock market thread

Anyone but me interested in the stock markets. Good to see the ftse 100's back up to 6000.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Wouldn't be owning shares in Australia right now TBH and thanks to America's inability to run an economy (like people getting home loans easier then a cheap root in a Bangkok bar) we'll suffer a bit as well.

Should get the Germans in ITBT. Hey if they can turn their country around from being bankrupt when Hitler came to power, to being in a mess after WWII and been the one country for 18 years and still end up with the world's largest economy (think of all the major worldwide companies that are based in or from Germany), then they must know what they are doing.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Wouldn't be owning shares in Australia right now TBH
    It's not actually that bad to be owning shares right now you know. The Australian market isn't completely disconnected from the American market, but we can at least maintain arm's length from them with China still fuelling our economy. I'm not an expert on it, but the biggest danger I see for our economy is companies that are leveraged and exposed to the US market, particularly with connections to companies that are really suffering in the current situation over there, causing some kind of domino effect. We all saw what happened in the sell-off bonanza two weeks ago: the market bounced back pretty quickly with quite some vitality. That's because people do still want to own shares here, especially when they can obtain them at a bargain price. I'll be staying away from the financial sector for sure, and probably any companies with significant leverage like exploration companies, but other than that I don't see what the big danger is.
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

Just happy I have **** all super atm anyway.

Poor old American economy

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Wouldn't be owning shares in Australia right now TBH
    It's a good time to buy at the moment.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Little short term stock tip Southwest Airlines (LUV). Closed at 12.26 on friday. Few weeks ago they were held 82% by institutions now owned 95% by instutions. What do the big investors know what we dont? Remember Short term. Approximately 78% of the Company’s customers fly non stop. As of December 31, 2007, the Company operated 520 Boeing 737 aircraft and provided service to 64 cities in 32 states throughout the United States.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    Little short term stock tip Southwest Airlines (LUV). Closed at 12.26 on friday. Few weeks ago they were held 82% by institutions now owned 95% by instutions. What do the big investors know what we dont? Remember Short term. Approximately 78% of the Company’s customers fly non stop. As of December 31, 2007, the Company operated 520 Boeing 737 aircraft and provided service to 64 cities in 32 states throughout the United States.
    I've just secured my house, my Wisdens and my mother against them. Thanks for the tip.

Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Still wondering how much Labour's absolute incompetence over Northern Rock will cost my family, had a few hundred shares in them.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Bad day at market.....indian markets down 5% ....and i have lost around 8%
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

Getting destroyed with Macquarie Group. I keep telling myself it's long term but in that case I won't be seeing the money for several years. Kind of depressing.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

Quote Originally Posted by James90 View Post
    Getting destroyed with Macquarie Group. I keep telling myself it's long term but in that case I won't be seeing the money for several years. Kind of depressing.
    Good things sometimes take time. If you dont mind me asking how much did you buy them for?

LUV

Closed on monday at 12.23 down 0.03. Yesterday closed at 12.64 up 3.35%.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    I've got a great investment track record:

The Bank of Credit and Commerce International
    Enron
    Railtrack
    Feltex Carpets

And someone sold me some shares in what I thought to be Lloyds Bank about 15 years ago. Apparently I am now a 'name'; though I have no idea what this means.

I also recently wired $1,000,000,000,000 to a man called Charles Nwumbu, based in Burkina Faso who informed me that I could be entitled to a portion of $1,000,000,000,000.99 if I wired him the sum above. Strangely, he hasn't sent me my share yet.

Not sure what to invest in next? I hear Auckland Airport shares are going well at the moment... I'll just call my broker.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information