Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The stock market thread

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Investing in the Pakistan stock exchange.

Seems sound to me.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    f00000000000000000000000lins.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Mate of mine used to invest in Commodity derivatives but always lost money.

My best advise for you is first of all get one of those simulators where you can have a practise on what it's like to invest. Once you are comfortable and have an idea then you can invest for real.

A fund which invests in the top 100 like the FTSE would be a safe investment I guess unless the whole Market tanks.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    remember, buy high
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    Digging this up, hopefully for a bit of advice.

So I've come into a bit of money recently, and I'm trying to work out what to do with it to maximise my returns and grow it while I'm at Uni.

Currently my plan involves investing half of it in a term deposit at 4.60% p.a., compounded annually, and paying off my first year Uni fees.

Allowing for an emergency fund that I can access, it leaves me with a chunk left over to invest, and I'm considering putting a bit in the stock market (nothing I can't afford to lose, obvs. Rule one of investing.)

I'll be honest, the idea of investing is a tad daunting - are there any things in particular I should know/books I should read/key don'ts/anything else?
    re-enactment:
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    remember, buy high
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar

So I've come into a bit of money recently, and I'm trying to work out what to do with it to maximise my returns and grow it while I'm at Uni.

Currently my plan involves investing half of it in a term deposit at 4.60% p.a., compounded annually, and paying off my first year Uni fees.

Allowing for an emergency fund that I can access, it leaves me with a chunk left over to invest, and I'm considering putting a bit in the stock market (nothing I can't afford to lose, obvs. Rule one of investing.)

I'll be honest, the idea of investing is a tad daunting - are there any things in particular I should know/books I should read/key don'ts/anything else?
    I agree with AN here, try your hand at one of these stock market simulators to familiarize yourself with the process. And then look to find a low-cost, discount brokerage. I am not really familiar with those in Australia. Now there are a variety of factors that influence the stock price, but at the end of the day, predicting the market is more of an art than a science. Unless, of course, you have some heavy quant strategies and programs up your sleeve.

It's good to look at industry/sector analysis and fundamentals of a company - consider its financial statements, overall health, cash flows, ratios to determine solvency, liquidity, and other indicators, its management (read up on conference calls and MD&As), news reports, etc. The idea here is to determine the intrinsic value of the company, as well as breakdown the intangible aspects of the business. And then if you have time, try your hand at equipping yourself with a few technical analysis strategies. They can be useful, depending on how you use them.

But the best way to gain experience and learn lessons in the stock market is by trial and error. If you're risk averse, you definitely want to diversify between various asset classes, which it seems you are looking to do. But also you may want to diversify your portfolio within equities as well by picking relatively stable, blue-chip stocks, which would essentially yield long-term capital growth. You may want to consider ETFs as well, a low-cost way for passive management. ETFs are a great tool in my opinion, especially since 80% of actively managed mutual funds fail to beat their benchmarks.

Here's an article on Warren Buffett's methodology - Warren Buffett: How He Does It.

And here's a good interview of Chetan Parikh outlining his fundamental approach - http://seekingalpha.com/article/1731...ental-approach

Investopedia has some other great articles as well that will be of use to you. Immerse yourself in finance/market news and data. As for books, I'd recommend the classic Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham. It is a little outdated, but the revised version with the more relevant commentary and footnotes provides an excellent read and introduction to value investing. I can recommend more books, but I'd suggest looking at those that are more relevant to where you live; those by Australian authors. There's a plethora of information out there, but just be cautious of taking advice from others or certain research reports. It's always best to do your own research.

Then, in a few years time, when you become a hot shot trader and have built enough capital, come back and we can discuss Forex trading. A lot more thrilling!! Oh and if you ever become the next Warren Buffett or Jim Breyer, just remember who got you started off.
    Last edited by Turbinator; 27-01-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Heefs posts in this thread.
    RIP Craigos

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    I do know that when most Stock Exchanges are going down the Karachi Stock Exchange is moving up. A lot of hedge funds buy Pak stocks to hedge against losses. Might want to explore that.
    There was that slight correction two weeks ago in the markets.

But apparently, and surprisingly so, Pakistan has been providing some of the best risk-adjusted returns on equities. Corporate profits, high dividend growth rates, and low prices relative to rest of the region have been cited as reasons for overlooking terrorism and political instability.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Arbitrage in forex is extremely difficult and requires vast amounts of capital. There are no free lunches on the stock exchange, especially when it comes to forex trading.

But yeah agree with Turby, since he is probably one of the most knowledgeable guys on Finance in this forum. And as Turby mentions, you can never go wrong with Fundamental analysis. Remember that most investors are emotional and the one who uses fundamental analysis is always better off, since his stock valuation is always more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post

Seems sound to me.
    Flight to safety

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar

Just invest in a wide range of stocks to manage your risk and don't buy or sell anything until you want to cash out. Do that and you're doing as well or better than a good 99%+ of traders.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post

Seems sound to me.
    Just get a good broker don't go for variety stick to basic sectors like cement, oil & gas and you are all set, one of the most rewarding markets globally talking from a 5 year personal experience.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information