Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The stock market thread

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    I just had a tip to buy Zimbabwean Dollars. I think it might be a great opportunity to get a foothold in this developing market. I was thinking in investing in a company called The Zimbabwe Free Press. How much do you think I should invest? Is there much exchange rate risk with this investment? Last time I checked, the economy in Zimbabwe was very sound so I'm thinking this must be a good idea.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

actually investing in zimbabwe isn't a bad thing if you look long term...tbh there's only a way up from here
    P.S. We beat England at Lord's
    Member of the RTDAS.
    Member of the ESAS - Edgar Schiferli Appreciation Society
    President of the DNAS - Dirk Nannes Appreciation Society
    Member of the CW Colts!

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think it's really disappointing of her - would only take a minute or two of her time....
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    Wishful thinking on your behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by Kweek View Post
    actually investing in zimbabwe isn't a bad thing if you look long term...tbh there's only a way up from here
    or you could end up with no money,

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I just had a tip to buy Zimbabwean Dollars. I think it might be a great opportunity to get a foothold in this developing market. I was thinking in investing in a company called The Zimbabwe Free Press. How much do you think I should invest? Is there much exchange rate risk with this investment? Last time I checked, the economy in Zimbabwe was very sound so I'm thinking this must be a good idea.
    Yeah, go for it, there's this friend of my Dad's who might be able to help you out there as well. Robert, I think his name is, decent bloke and apparently a bit of a dab hand when it comes to Zimbabwean economic affairs. I'd speak to other forum members beforehand though, they might have had different experiences - heard someone got ripped off in a bar over there last week, was chared a couple of million dollars just for a beer. It's these swanky African watering holes, you see.

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Euros and south korean won for mine.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

If anyone did take my tip on LUV which they probably didn't sell now. The companies not having a great time they're facing Fines on Plane Cracks I did say short term. Will wait till tomorrow when the unemployment report comes out to see whether or not to buy some goog.
    Last edited by cover drive man; 06-03-2008 at 09:56 AM.

Does anyone know of any frequent dividend blue chips on the london stock exchange?

Frequent? I imagine most companies would offer two per year. No more, no less.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    I got 100 woolworths shares when i was 6, my grandad boought em for me when they wero bout 4.50 or so...been reinvesting the dividend, now have 200 at 30.00 about (floating there for a while)
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Digging this up, hopefully for a bit of advice.

So I've come into a bit of money recently, and I'm trying to work out what to do with it to maximise my returns and grow it while I'm at Uni.

Currently my plan involves investing half of it in a term deposit at 4.60% p.a., compounded annually, and paying off my first year Uni fees.

Allowing for an emergency fund that I can access, it leaves me with a chunk left over to invest, and I'm considering putting a bit in the stock market (nothing I can't afford to lose, obvs. Rule one of investing.)

I'll be honest, the idea of investing is a tad daunting - are there any things in particular I should know/books I should read/key don'ts/anything else?

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    sportsbet.com.au
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    everything on Wade top scoring tomorrow
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

give it to me

or alternately think long term, spread your risk and do your own research
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    Digging this up, hopefully for a bit of advice.

So I've come into a bit of money recently, and I'm trying to work out what to do with it to maximise my returns and grow it while I'm at Uni.

Currently my plan involves investing half of it in a term deposit at 4.60% p.a., compounded annually, and paying off my first year Uni fees.

Allowing for an emergency fund that I can access, it leaves me with a chunk left over to invest, and I'm considering putting a bit in the stock market (nothing I can't afford to lose, obvs. Rule one of investing.)

I'll be honest, the idea of investing is a tad daunting - are there any things in particular I should know/books I should read/key don'ts/anything else?
    I do know that when most Stock Exchanges are going down the Karachi Stock Exchange is moving up. A lot of hedge funds buy Pak stocks to hedge against losses. Might want to explore that.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Blackjack and hookers imo
    "Under the spreading chestnut tree,
    I sold you and you sold me."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information