Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 550 of 553 FirstFirst ... 50450500540548549550551552 ... LastLast
Results 8,236 to 8,250 of 8294
Like Tree1305Likes

Thread: The TV show thread (many spoilers)

International Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Also what's the banned Simpsons episode?
    The Simpsons fundraise to buy Groundskeeper Willy a new tractor. They enlist the help of Jimmy Saville, who stays in Lisa's room. Meanwhile, Homer is fired from his job again but finds he has a gift for making pottery and starts his own business.
    morgieb and NZTailender like this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar
    Finally got around to starting the revived The Twilight Zone. Really enjoyed the first episode, even though it was a little bit predictable.

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    The first few are quite decent but I thought the quality fell off dramatically thereafter.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**t over your head and get a woolly bull to f**k some sense into you.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar
    Ah, that's a shame.

Hexxagon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I tried the first episode, but not having read the book made it unwatchable.
    I've not read the graphic novel, but have seen the film which is infamous for being slavish to the source material minus some of the details of the ending, so I can't speak to how much you can get away with not knowing the existing story. I reckon you could get by with a Wikipedia skim but that might be generous.

What I would say is if you're interested in the iconography of US pop culture, especially comic books and superheroes in general, it's worth sticking through the uncertain beginning to get to the good stuff. The way it uses race to recontextualise some modern myths is fascinating.

It's like the opposite of Westworld, in that there's a dense web of mystery to it that they're slowly unravelling, only it actually feels like there's a lot there to think about at the centre, rather than a big black hole of nothing.
    nightprowler10 likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Yeah I probably will read Watchmen at some point, just haven’t yet.

I liked the Westworld ending haha. True Detective S1 would be my example of a black hole mystery.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    What I would say is if you're interested in the iconography of US pop culture, especially comic books and superheroes in general, it's worth sticking through the uncertain beginning to get to the good stuff. The way it uses race to recontextualise some modern myths is fascinating
    Well put. The latest episode especially just blew my mind. One of my favorite TV episode of recent years. Up there with the Ghost Nation episode from Westworld s2 for me.
    Forever 63* at the SCG

Silicon Valley has been my favourite still-running show for a while now but that last episode really exemplified all the flaws it's had since the start. "I was entertained" and I usually like when series and movies don't get full Disney happily ever after, but **** me.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

Code:
    Pixie Caramels won by an Innings and 258 runs.

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    I swear you’ve made that same post like five times

Fully agree though

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    Gilfoyle is the only character that doesn't get annoying. Dinesh and Hendricks became boring ages ago. Belson's just a comic book villain at this point. And I miss Big Head, they've completely written him out of the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

First Class Debutant Grasshopper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Gilfoyle is the only character that doesn't get annoying. Dinesh and Hendricks became boring ages ago. Belson's just a comic book villain at this point. And I miss Big Head, they've completely written him out of the show.
    Big Head makes an appearance in the final episode. Jared had a good season...that scene when he met his birth parents was brilliant.

I enjoyed the latest season, and of course the premise for the next season is set up with Richard's missing usb containing the only copy of the original code. My theory is it was stolen by Gabe in cahoots with Jian-Yang. Loved the creepy "Heart of Darkness" scene with Jian-Yang usurping Erlich's identity.

I'm looking forward to season 7.

Banned
    these mondays i look forward to watching watchmen and his dark materials

both of them are excellent

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Big Head makes an appearance in the final episode. Jared had a good season...that scene when he met his birth parents was brilliant.

I enjoyed the latest season, and of course the premise for the next season is set up with Richard's missing usb containing the only copy of the original code. My theory is it was stolen by Gabe in cahoots with Jian-Yang. Loved the creepy "Heart of Darkness" scene with Jian-Yang usurping Erlich's identity.

I'm looking forward to season 7.
    That was the series finale, there is no Season 7.

Actually a lot of comedies finishing up this year/season. Last episodes of The Good Place and Bojack Horseman early next year too.
    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014. 63* for eternity.

First Class Debutant Grasshopper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    That was the series finale, there is no Season 7.
    Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    I swear you’ve made that same post like five times

Fully agree though
    Yeah I feel like I've said it two or three times at least when they keep taking the annoying part of their schtick to a new level, but I was genuinely surprised they did it for the finale. I always thought it was just a plot mechanism to keep the show going, but that obviously wasn't needed in the last episode and they still did it.

(for those who don't know what I'm on about, Silicon Valley since basically its inception has followed this formula:
    Step 1 - team slowly works its way up from a pretty poor position to a good one through a mix of bumbling charm and their product/coding skills just being ****ing good
    Step 2 - something unlikely and very unlucky happens to them to completely **** them over and threaten their entire existence
    Step 3 - they pull something out of their arses that saves the company/project but sets them back quite a bit, right back down near "pretty poor position" territory
    Step 4 - go back to Step 1)

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    I think I was able to keep really enjoying the show despite that annoying formula I mentioned above because I never did get tired of the characters and their interactions. I thought that part of the series remained strong (even if slightly less so after Bachman was written out) so I was able to look past how formulaic it was even if I ranted about it when it got particularly bad. But, to borrow a phrase oft-used on the show, the finale showed that the approach they took there was in fact a feature and not a bug.

Thread Information