cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 527 of 533 FirstFirst ... 27427477517525526527528529 ... LastLast
Results 7,891 to 7,905 of 7986
Like Tree1220Likes

Thread: The TV show thread (many spoilers)

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Didn't think the Trailer Park Boys brand could be dragged through the mud any further but they've proven me wrong with the animated series. So bad it should be a crime.

There was some article about Americans who like the Great British Bake Off because it lacks the ultra-competitive tone lots of US game shows have. The American version of The Chase drummed it into me how true that might be. Like the UK version is lighthearted and wholesome in a northern way. The American version felt like a trial by combat in comparison. If that's a fair representation of US game shows, it must be exhausting.
    Last edited by andmark; 04-04-2019 at 02:26 PM.
    _Ed_ likes this.
    And come what may we're unstoppable
    'cause we know just what we are
    Yeah we know just what we are
    - Oasis, "Stay Young"

Legion was probably my favourite TV show of 2017, but when season 2 came out last year I was crestfallen to find out that it was a plodding, opaque mess. After one particularly frustrating episode (episode 6 - involving a bunch of unconnected dream sequences about how the main character's life could've been different) I gave up and decided to wait for a chance to watch the remainder in one go. The chance finally came when the second season was released on Netflix here, and I finished it over the weekend.

Overall, while it definitely works better as a binge watch, season 2 - while not terrible - was a big let down. It's borderline incoherent at times. Apart from David, the season 1 characters feel so different that you might as well be watching a totally different show (not helped by the fact that most of them get very little screen time). The newcomers are barely characters at all - Admiral Fukiyama's character really doesn't extend beyond being a mute who wears a basket on his head. Nobody's powers are defined clearly or applied consistently, and it kinda feels like the mutant's powers are whatever the plot needs them to be at that moment. And overall, the show is just laden with glaring plotholes that seem to be excused purely because "it's a surrealist masterpiece!"

I can't say that it's great or even good TV. It feels like so much more time and energy went into creating the look of the show than the story. The sets are undeniably gorgeous, the lighting is hypnotic, the props are deliciously zany and the costumes are fantastic. But it needs a gripping story and likeable characters to hold the whole thing together, and I feel this was by and large missing here. It's a real shame, because I think there was the potential for a really great season of TV with a bit more work on the scripts. The last 2 or 3 episodes were nearly back to the level of season 1 (though there's some weird stuff with a minotaur that shows up for no reason and is then unceremoniously decapitated off camera).
    MW1304 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloakey View Post
    Darlingface
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

cpr
    I've never got round to season 2, season 1 felt good, but a bit.... dunno. Felt it could've ended up being one season rather than trying to find a new twist to bring the same monster back again. Also the plots just got more and more surreal as S1 developed to the point where I didn't really fancy another season of it.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Hexxagon Champion!
    I really loved Season 1 but generally agree with that take on Season 2. I've said before that I think the popularity of Lynch, and especially Season 3 of Twin Peaks, amongst auters has caused a real propensity for self-indulgence at the expense of good storytelling. Fair enough if you just want to release your wildest transcendental-meditation-induced dreams onto the screen but don't expect me to stay compelled by it if it doesn't feel coherent.

It's a shame because there were some great ideas in Season 2 wrapped up in some really mind-numbing detours and languid pacing. The finale was really good though, and could have been even better with a stronger season behind it. I can see where he was heading with the character and it was an incredibly bold move, it just didn't completely land thanks to the shaky foundations.

Hexxagon Champion!
    Fleabag Season 2 is even better than Season 1. Such a shame this is going to be the last one. Best thing on British TV in the last few years and it's not that close.
    Grasshopper likes this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NZTailender's Avatar
    About 6 episodes into Death Love and Robots. If only Black Mirror truncated some of it's worst episodes they may have held up better. Great format, great concept.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    Fleabag Season 2 is even better than Season 1. Such a shame this is going to be the last one. Best thing on British TV in the last few years and it's not that close.
    Yep, it's top notch telly.

As is the first episode of Killing Eve season 2. Just a wild guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if Konstantin's precocious young daughter from the first season becomes Villanelle's "apprentice".

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    I really enjoyed the first season, but not sure I can bring myself to watch the second.

The first was just so cutting and realistically depressing in a way that really struck home for me.

Watched After Life. Meh, watchable but very forgettable.

Line Of Duty talk......Spoilers etc...

So enjoying the new season even though its silly but to be expected.

H is obviously not Hastings whatsoever, so who do we think it is? Obvious suspect is the dude giving him cash surely?

Think the bookies have the lady who is with the fav atm.

Anyone watched Mindhunters on Netflix ?
    LILLEE c WILLEY b DILLEY

LAMB c KOURIE b RICE

yes terrific first season for mindhunter...

Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    yes terrific first season for mindhunter...
    It was fantastic. Yes, a bit dark and disturbing at times but you can't help but feel intrigued. A whole different perspective. Part of the story line similar to Silence of the Lambs but obviously another level and the background to it being all true. Also understanding profiling and how they put things together.

Season 2 should be coming soon.

yep season 1 ended on kind of an unexpected cliffhanger so eagerly awaiting season 2...

Thread Information