cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 523 of 536 FirstFirst ... 23423473513521522523524525533 ... LastLast
Results 7,831 to 7,845 of 8030
Like Tree1228Likes

Thread: The TV show thread (many spoilers)

Anyone seen After Life with Ricky Gervais?

cpr
    Used to really hate Gervais, and I mean really hate him. Derek was the first thing I could stomach of his. But After Life is pretty bloody good. Made the mistake of watching the first 4 episodes on the bounce, christ I needed cheering up after that.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

So uh more drama than comedy uh? :/

His 'Extras' is also pretty good btw.

cpr
    Oh no it's definitely a comedy, its just very dark in places. Its balls out laughing funny at times, but with a undercurrent of seriously dark gallows humour.

As for Extra's, I'm guessing from what i've seen of it it's unwatchable for the same reason The Office was - I can't do cringe comedy, it's too painful to watch.
    Last edited by cpr; 15-03-2019 at 10:14 AM.

The Office is a masterpiece for me, however always thought what followed was poor. Extras was same joke every week, celebrity sending themselves up ho ho ho.

Derek was the absolute pits personified.

His online presence is also very off putting, sometimes he does tweet some decent stuff, but a lot of the time quite needy,, retweeting randoms positive reviews of the abysmal life on road ffs,,,,you are a multi millionaire in your fifties.

His athiesm is also very absurd, he genuinely believes he is pushing boundaries by saying he is an atheist ignoring the fact for an entertainer especially a comedian its not the most edgy of opinions. Maybe 50 years ago but not so much now.

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/...agazine-cover/

Also as I cant copy and paste the front cover here, that just annoyed me so much at the time, not because I am religious or ought, just how needy and desperate it came across as to "trigger" people.
    andmark and sledger like this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Burner View Post
    I read a review that said you come away thinking he misses Steven Merchant more than he does his wife.
    dontcloseyoureyes likes this.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    How is the UK office BTW?

Quote Originally Posted by Niall View Post
    His athiesm is also very absurd, he genuinely believes he is pushing boundaries by saying he is an atheist ignoring the fact for an entertainer especially a comedian its not the most edgy of opinions. Maybe 50 years ago but not so much now.
    Heh, yeah. After Life has this problem too.

After Life's biggest problem by far (and I mean it's like an elephant in the room) is how the other characters keep telling Gervais's character he's good and smart and funny (oh so funny) and he basically agrees with them. His character is not any of those things as such. Just a normal person. With a normal problem. With an obvious resolution which was obviously going to come with time. I genuinely have no idea why the series was made.

Sandy was the best thing about it.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I read a review that said you come away thinking he misses Steven Merchant more than he does his wife.
    Yes, it's notable how more or less everything he has done post-Merchant has been absolute garbage. Which in many ways is unsurprising, as Steven Merchant is a great lad.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    How is the UK office BTW?
    An absolute ATG, but don't watch it expecting it to be anything like the US version.
    Niall likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Burner View Post
    I saw a clip involving a paedophilia joke and just rolled my eyes. No thanks.

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.ag View Post
    Heh, yeah. After Life has this problem too.

After Life's biggest problem by far (and I mean it's like an elephant in the room) is how the other characters keep telling Gervais's character he's good and smart and funny (oh so funny) and he basically agrees with them. His character is not any of those things as such. Just a normal person. With a normal problem. With an obvious resolution which was obviously going to come with time. I genuinely have no idea why the series was made.

Sandy was the best thing about it.
    Obviously most characters know the 'real' Tony, so are commenting on his old persona, but his interactions with Anne he shows, despite the cynicism, his niceness and humour - at first he was spending time chatting to someone because he recognises a similar pain, then cracking jokes with her dead husband just to make her smile. He doesn't show he's a rocket scientist, but enough to show he's an intelligent man. That very first meeting is enough for Anne to get a decent grip on the real person before the tragedy.

I think it also shows an element to depression that gets missed - you recognise your strengths (being a nice person, sense of humour, intelligence etc.) and are struggling anyway. You don't instantly react by arguing with anyone who compliments you. If anything it's slightly more pained because you agree with them but they don't 'get' what you've got running through your head. I'd say that's especially true with a reactive depression like Tony has.

And you've hit the nail on the head without realising. Its the show about a person with an every day issue, and you see it played out until its manageable (rather than to its conclusion, which it'll never have). The problem is the person - like many in real life - can't see the end of the road, and are suffering immensely with something others have got to grips with, even those who have also been affected by the loss (Matt). You get to see the journey explained from their POV, which you can't in real life unless you suffer similar. The frustrations Matt has having got over the loss of his sister, and not being able to see why Tony hasn't got over the same loss (namely Matt has his own distractions/issues in his own family, whereas Tony just has an empty house full of memories) to me show why it's a worthwhile story to approach from Tonys POV. Watching others struggle to find him that coping mechanism (Matt recommending his psychiatrist, setting him up on a date, even Tony himself in getting drugs) when really what he needed was a person to hold his hand through his journey (namely Anne), was what made the story worth it. I'm also bloody glad they did the last episode the way they did, rather than a rushed 'happy ever after' 5 minute ending.

I genuinely get all that. When I wrote "I don't get why it was made", I meant this has been done quite well by other shows and movies, especially in recent years. So I don't see the value in another one. In the sense, if I was a superstar that Gervais is, I would try to do something more original.

He has very few good original ideas tbh. As above basically all of his biggest successes were co-written/produced by Merchant.

cpr
    Can't say I've liked anything he's done with Merchant. Found his work more stomachable without. General disdain for anything Merchant as done has stayed constant

Thread Information