Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 501 of 544 FirstFirst ... 401451491499500501502503511 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,515 of 8150
Like Tree1263Likes

Thread: The TV show thread (many spoilers)

I can't believe I ate the whole thing NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Westworld: I liked this episode, and I do like the sorts of things it's trying to present and the food for thought it's offering, but it still feels like it's throwing out ideas more than actually telling a, well, story.
    I'm still trying to give it the benefit of the doubt, like everything will tie up in a neat package in the final episode of the season. I mean, we are quite literally being lead through a maze from multiple viewpoints. One assumes it'll all converge.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Anyone tried watching The Staircase? Supposed to be just like How To Make A Murderer.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Anyone tried watching The Staircase? Supposed to be just like How To Make A Murderer.
    Yeah, it's very good. The broad contours are very similar, where the police and prosecution are unscrupulous, incredibly obnoxious arseholes and the defence team are likeable and very good at their jobs. Lots of crazy twists too. But the resulting injustices just aren't as clear-cut, so it doesn't have the emotional kick MaM had for most people.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 12-06-2018 at 03:25 AM.
    Daemon likes this.

Suicide Bob Champion!
    To me the most interesting part about MaM wasn't about whether he was guilty or not but rather how bad/negligent everyone was at their job. If this is the same then I'll probably like it. Only one way to find out I guess.

I can't believe I ate the whole thing NZTailender's Avatar
    Haven't bothered googling anything about the current season but Archer in space huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Yeah, it's very good. The broad contours are very similar, where the police and prosecution are unscrupulous, incredibly obnoxious arseholes and the defence team are likeable and very good at their jobs. Lots of crazy twists too. But the resulting injustices just aren't as clear-cut, so it doesn't have the emotional kick MaM had for most people.
    Tbh a kinda came to hate MaM. I got really into the first few episodes of it, but then when I read up on the details of the case and realised just how manipulative it was, I couldn't bring myself to watch the rest of the series.

Having said that, it's still worthy television for shining a light on just how appalling police conduct was in procuring the confessions of Avery and especially Dassey.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloakey View Post
    Darlingface
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Tbh a kinda came to hate MaM. I got really into the first few episodes of it, but then when I read up on the details of the case and realised just how manipulative it was, I couldn't bring myself to watch the rest of the series.

Having said that, it's still worthy television for shining a light on just how appalling police conduct was in procuring the confessions of Avery and especially Dassey.
    Documentary film in general has this problem. They're able to so effectively convince you of whatever they want. Have mistrusted them since Bowling for Columbine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

Yeah, I think it's especially a problem with true-crime doco's - where the film makers will basically already have their narrative constructed for them (whether it be by the defence or the prosecution). That's why I think Serial was so great - it was actually a fairly balanced discussion of the key lines of evidence both for and against Adnan Syed.

Suicide Bob Champion!
    Yeah, I think it's especially a problem with true-crime doco's - where the film makers will basically already have their narrative constructed for them (whether it be by the defence or the prosecution). That's why I think Serial was so great - it was actually a fairly balanced discussion of the key lines of evidence both for and against Adnan Syed.
    imo as long as you're aware that what you're watching is heavily biased it should be alright. The problem arises when people who watch the series start to ridicule and harass others who were merely doing their job.

The Staircase is pretty great imo, I'm a few episodes away from being done but it's been very good so far.

On Duane Deaver

At first Duane Deaver was only suspended from the SBI while they conducted an investigation into his past work. It was discovered that throughout his almost 25-year career at SBI that he had falsified evidence in 34 different cases and he was ultimately fired from the agency in 2011. But his history with the SBI is a little more complicated than that.

After his dismissal, the State Human Resources Commission ruled on Duane Deaver’s behalf in 2014 that the analyst was wrongly terminated in 2011, WARL reports. He should have been demoted and had his pay cut by 10%, the commission decided. The agency was forced to rehire him and award him 30 months of back pay before firing him again. But the commission did note that Duane Deaver could have rightly been fired after the hearing in 2013 that determined he had perjured himself during Michael Peterson’s 2003 trial.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

Yeah we spoke about this at the time. I thought the documentary makers were just using the Avery+Dassey case to show how dire the justice system was. Them both being completely guilty wouldn't have made the process they went through OK. The resulting debate over whether they did it or whether the documentary was "biased" or whatever really annoyed me. I thought it totally missed the point.

The Staircase gets this point across better because- spoiler alert- most people come away thinking he almost definitely did it but despising the prosecution anyway.
    NZTailender likes this.

Brooklyn 99 is ****ing awesome!
    Athlai and Daemon like this.
    trundler isn't annoying at all. He's quality. -TJB
    Yea trundler is the new Bijed. Good addition. - Zorax
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    trundler is the coolest member to join the forum in a long time.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Terrific doco on the History Channel now about LBJ and the Civil Rights Act. Called What the Hell is the Presidency For? Would recommend.

Gf has binned off Parks and Rec after one episode, rethinking some life decisions here

Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Gf has binned off Parks and Rec after one episode, rethinking some life decisions here
    This happens to me all the time. Mine couldn't take 20 minutes of the wire and asked me to watch Pretty Little Liars instead

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Tbf season 1 wasn't that great
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Thread Information