cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 488 of 501 FirstFirst ... 388438478486487488489490498 ... LastLast
Results 7,306 to 7,320 of 7504
Like Tree1050Likes

Thread: The TV show thread (many spoilers)

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Shri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    2. Hang the DJ - It's amazing how well this show does romance. I like that I still can't decide whether the ending was happy or not.
    As a 3-4 year user of OkCupid, it is a sad ending without doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    "Still waiting for bole trekking Marayyye". Keep Kumar up in the third umpires box please,its hilarious. Him almost screwing up a DRS referral a definite highlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ashwin is like one of those paintings whose eye always follows you around the room. He'd be hell in a court room. The judge and the witness would always think he's lookong at both of them at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    You are basically saying he would have made an amazing lawyer. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No im saying he's partly cross-eyed.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Anyone catch Chappelle's specials? Didn't really enjoy them.
    Watched the first one. Was quite funny.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Anyone else seen the Derry Girls pilot? Ms UC and I loved it but hard to say how itíll go down outside of Norn Iron.

International Vice-Captain Niall's Avatar
    No, but I have friends from both sides, they seem to like it lots. I am planning to watch it on 4od when its all done.

Can't be worse than Give My Head Peace hopefully.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall View Post
    No, but I have friends from both sides, they seem to like it lots. I am planning to watch it on 4od when its all done.

Can't be worse than Give My Head Peace hopefully.
    Ha, I went in with low expectations partly because of Give My Head Peace. Though terrible as it was Iím sort of glad it existed. It was... tasteful isnít the right word, but it struck the right tone for the time.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    This year's Black Mirror episodes ranked

6. Crocodile - Such a missed oppertunity. There was a lot of room here for the quality of memory and how suggestive it is. The scene where the interviewer tells someone what colour the coat was and his memory literally changes to fit suggested they could have gone into that in real depth, in the vein of Making a Murderer, but with the tech distorting the picture. Then it gets dropped as the protagonist assumes all memory is perfect. The ending is also really, really silly.

5. Arkangel - Again, this could have been a lot more interesting when it looked like the story was going to be about how censorship battling with access to information has on human development in childhood. The entire second half about the teenager has to completely re-introduce all the characters and I'm iffy about the character continuity, and the themes don't really mesh either. I liked the performances, and I like that the boyfriend character wasn't a typical TV bad influence arsehole.

4. Black Museum - Honestly I enjoyed this episode pretty much throughout but there's something ham-fisted about the delivery. The sketchy bloke's narration is deliberate I'm sure, to sell you on him being this huckster, but it's difficult to spend an hour with him repeating what you just saw on screen. Had enough BM chill to it to be a standard episode.

3. Metalhead - Not really an episode of Black Mirror in the sense there wasn't a lot to get your teeth into here. Still an excellent piece of suspense film making. Tragically, that dog was not a good boy.

2. Hang the DJ - It's amazing how well this show does romance. I like that I still can't decide whether the ending was happy or not.

1. USS Callister - This episode has some serious opinions on male power fantasy and the kind of misogynist creeps who see themselves as downtrodden until they get on the internet. Every point is bang on. It's also genuinely hilarious.
    Thought Crocodile was better than Arkangel, personally. Agreed Crocodile missed a potentially interesting area of how we perceive memories but it kept me somewhat enthralled as to what was going to happen next even if it was quite depressing. Arkangel was just kind of boring, though not wholly bad. Was waiting for a proper BM twist but there was none.

My immediate thoughts were Hang the DJ was the best, followed by Metalhead and Callister - though there's not much between those 3 for mine. However, Metalhead is the one that really caught my imagination tbf. It was a thriller but that timeline has raised the most questions out of all the episodes. Oddly, Crocodile probably would raise the second most.
    Last edited by NZTailender; 09-01-2018 at 03:07 AM.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Wait are the episodes connected somehow? I can kinda see how Black Museum referenced the gaming device from Callister but Metalhead felt like it wasn't connected to the other episodes and I thought it was the worst because it didn't have a good story compared to the others. Its scifi **** with a theme that I have seen explored better in other forms of media.

My ranking:

1. Hang the DJ
    2. USS Callister
    3. Black Museum
    4. Arkangel
    5. Crocodile
    6. Metalhead

USS Callister was the only one I liked a bit, but it has some basic flaws too.

Hang the DJ is not my cup of tea. The simulation thing is old hat now imo.

Black Mirror is just not my thing.
    Last edited by harsh.ag; 09-01-2018 at 03:27 AM.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

You know where the door is.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    Wait are the episodes connected somehow? I can kinda see how Black Museum referenced the gaming device from Callister but Metalhead felt like it wasn't connected to the other episodes and I thought it was the worst because it didn't have a good story compared to the others. Its scifi **** with a theme that I have seen explored better in other forms of media.

My ranking:

1. Hang the DJ
    2. USS Callister
    3. Black Museum
    4. Arkangel
    5. Crocodile
    6. Metalhead
    Metalhead wasn't so much about the story but a feeling. It was a snapshot into a situation part of a bigger story. that we were not told. It was a great set piece.

Cricket Web Staff Member MW1304's Avatar
    Hexxagon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.ag View Post
    USS Callister was the only one I liked a bit, but it has some basic flaws too.

Hang the DJ is not my cup of tea. The simulation thing is old hat now imo.

Black Mirror is just not my thing.
    Spoilers obviously, but...

Considering this isn't even revealed until the very end, it seems weird to judge the entire episode preceding it based on that fact. I don't feel like its quality is too dependent on the ending at all. It's an absolute delight all the way through.

I also enjoyed the hell out of Metalhead. Stylistically it was gorgeous, which is no surprise considering Slade is Bryan Fuller's director of choice. I can see how it would be too bare bones in story for some. But as a genre exercise, the implications of that world and what could have happened are fascinating.
    Last edited by MW1304; 09-01-2018 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    Spoilers obviously, but...

Considering this isn't even revealed until the very end, it seems weird to judge the entire episode preceding it based on that fact. I don't feel like its quality is too dependent on the ending at all. It's an absolute delight all the way through.
    So I have a deep problem with most of Black Mirror's episodes and it is this - Characters are wayyy more surprised by and underprepared for turn of events than they should be.

Now I could write a huge paragraph on this, but am pretty sure people know what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by harsh.ag; 10-01-2018 at 01:48 AM.

No we do not.

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    Wait are the episodes connected somehow?
    Not really.

There are a bunch of easter eggs where other episodes are referenced (e.g. headlines about the prime minister from the first episode appearing in shots of TV news) and a lot of similar sci-fi tech appears in multiple episodes (e.g. the 'blocking' from White Christmas pretty much uses the same tech as MASS from Men Against Fire).

The timeline you would get if you took these references as canon continuity doesn't actually make sense, though.
    Shri likes this.
    I got a new heart, got a new heart, got a new artificial heart

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Yeah Black Museum has a couple of references. Hospital is called St Juniper, you can see the lollipop from USS Callister and a mask from the White Bear episode.
    Shri likes this.

Thread Information