Page 262 of 338 FirstFirst ... 162212252260261262263264272312 ... LastLast
Results 3,916 to 3,930 of 5062
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: The TV show thread (many spoilers)

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Been pretty disappointed with DW so far. I know it's never been completely straight-faced but it's been absurdly comical lately. I guess everything just pales compared to "Blink".
    Exit pursuing a beer

Quote Originally Posted by KiWiNiNjA View Post
    That's interesting. It kind of looks like the Crownlands and Riverlands are the wrong way around though? The show gives the impression that the Riverlands are the region between the North and King's Landing.
    And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    Been pretty disappointed with DW so far. I know it's never been completely straight-faced but it's been absurdly comical lately. I guess everything just pales compared to "Blink".
    This season has been underwhelming. I'm not spewing with rage at Moffat like half the internet, but it has been a bit meh. The episodes feel so rushed.

There have been a few gems. Cold War, Centre of the TARDIS, Gaiman's cyberman ep, but apart from that not much.

The final next week could be amazing or an absolute show ruiner (forever). I don't think we're going to get a straightforward name as such though, or if we do they will do the whispering in the ear thing. Or the Doctor will get out of saying it somehow. We're not getting a "my name is X" though.

Though Moffat and his team are claiming the show will be changed forever and go in a completely new direction next season so we shall see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Serious question, probably been asked before, by why in America do you have to do your own versions of shows? Why not just broadcast the originals? We don't remake Friends and How I Met Your Mother.
    You may not have remade Friends, but you have remade lots of other American shows. Besides, we do broadcast the originals as well. They're just not as popular. Downton Abbey is probably the first English show that has garnered mainstream popularity in the States.

In any case, shouldn't you be taking this as a compliment? Imitation being the highest form of flattery and all. And as SS pointed out, the whole world copies American culture in some manner. In fact, anything popular gets exported no matter what the country. No big deal IMO.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    You may not have remade Friends, but you have remade lots of other American shows. Besides, we do broadcast the originals as well. They're just not as popular. Downton Abbey is probably the first English show that has garnered mainstream popularity in the States.

In any case, shouldn't you be taking this as a compliment? Imitation being the highest form of flattery and all. And as SS pointed out, the whole world copies American culture in some manner. In fact, anything popular gets exported no matter what the country. No big deal IMO.
    I'm not bothered I just don't get it that's all.

That list you posted is mainly game and reality shows, which makes more sense to remake. In with the flynns I had no idea was based on American sitcom. Law & Order fair enough, the American ones are better though.
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Oh, God, I'm bored. Might as well be listening to Genesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post

EDIT: oh he answered for himself: Well, I'm not sure gimp was that upset, just asking a question.

Most of those shows are gameshows/RTV, I think it's more a original drama thing.

The fact is countries like Oz and others will just show our shows, as is, on main channels. You can't really say you give them a proper go over there, it's not on Thursday at 8 on NBC.

Downton has actually shown that it is possible. Horrible hackneyed, anachronistic rubbish that it is.

I personally don't care, I quite like watching the yank versions, I even enjoyed Life on Mard, despite it being hideously mis-cast.

The Office is actually interesting, in that the Brit shows show what we do best, making caricatures of grotesques entertaining whilst the Yank show is just basically an amiable sit-com with goofy, but not dark characters. They're both decent shows in their ilk.

I mean when they tried to copy the British one, the ratings were in the toilet, so they had to soften it up. I remember a rather big thing in one scene when Tim & Dawn actually wanted to lose their jobs, but Pam (who is played wonderfully BTW) & Jim wanted to keep them.

A difference which was the gulf between the shows.

It's the classic line from a Yank TV exec, "oh we love Fawlty Towers, but could we lose the Basil Character"

Coupling was interesting, was basically marketed as the british Friends, then they remade it in the US, and it bombed. Only had one funny person on it anyway. So can't say I was bothered.
    Last edited by grecian; 12-05-2013 at 02:38 PM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    The episodes feel so rushed.
    Yeah, that's it in a nutshell. The pacing is all out of wack and the stories aren't well fleshed out.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Hmmm...while I expected it at some stage, I kinda wish that the latest episode of GOT had sidestepped the whole cock-chopping bit. Loved Jaime's stand-off with not-so-gentle Ben though.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Wasn't a brilliant episode but still decent.

I think the nudity/sex scenes and dialogue is getting too much, with not so much focus on the main stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

Thought they were doing well to get beyond all the nudity sex scenes. It's kind of obvious now that they are just desperately scrapping around for filler until they can wrap the season up.

The series finale of The Office airs tomorrow night. I mentioned before that though it stumbled in the later years, its peak was solid (that’s what she said!). Grantland had some nice tributes today:

The Office Shuts Off The Lights

Favorite YouTube Highlights

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Decent finale to how I met yer ma. Last series should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Decent finale to how I met yer ma. Last series should be good.
    I'll be very frustrated if the entire final season is about the 56 hours leading up to Barney and Robin's wedding. Personally, I think the show should’ve introduced the mother this past season and taken the time to show how she and Ted developed their relationship. The mother reveal was long overdue and had taken some of the creativity out of the show. I hope that the plan is NOT for the two of them to meet in the final episode. That would be an unsatisfying conclusion for me. How about you?

Thread Information