Page 260 of 331 FirstFirst ... 160210250258259260261262270310 ... LastLast
Results 3,886 to 3,900 of 4952
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: The TV show thread (many spoilers)

  1. #3886
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    The Vikings is a pretty entertaining show IMO. Iím halfway done with it and look forward to finishing the rest of the season. Itís not on par with Rome or GOT, but it keeps you interested.
    Rome was so good. Being a fan of Greek-Roman history, I get snobby about shows in that period but I couldn't stop watching Rome. It was absurd how many little details they got right (not historical events but life in Rome type details). Made me go look up and learn a bunch of things I hadn't known before too.

    It's yet another example of a show where you can depict flawed people as protagonists and people will watch. Would people really not like leonidas if they had shown how the Spartan economy was based in slavery much more than the Persian one? We root for tony soprano even though he's clearly a sociopath. People have a remarkable ability for empathy - and it makes the narrative so much richer.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 08-05-2013 at 12:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  2. #3887
    International Coach grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Not looking at the flowers.
    Posts
    13,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Whose Line is it Anyway, maybe?

    Shamless was great in its first few series, not seen it for years though.
    Don't really watch improv much, so possibly.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

  3. #3888
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    15,564
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Rome was so good. Being a fan of Greek-Roman history, I get snobby about shows in that period but I couldn't stop watching Rome. It was absurd how many little details they got right (not historical events but life in Rome type details). Made me go look up and learn a bunch of things I hadn't known before too.

    It's yet another example of a show where you can depict flawed people as protagonists and people will watch. Would people really not like leonidas if they had shown how the Spartan economy was based in slavery much more than the Persian one? We root for tony soprano even though he's clearly a sociopath. People have a remarkable ability for empathy - and it makes the narrative so much richer.
    We also root for Tony Soprano because he's a badass male fantasy role cunningly disguised as a suburban everyman.

    See also Walter White, etc. It's pretty much superhero comics without the capes.
    I'm always suspicious of shops that sell bait.

  4. #3889
    International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,222
    Anyone watching Vegas or Person of Interest? I quite like those shows.


  5. #3890
    Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,467
    I watch person of interest and love it.

    The great thing about it is that despite having a particular formula it does deviate a lot with other minor/major plots.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

  6. #3891
    International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    I watch person of interest and love it.

    The great thing about it is that despite having a particular formula it does deviate a lot with other minor/major plots.
    Yeah, the formula could have got old quickly if not for some creative writing.

    I notice the machine is becoming a character in it's own right. Opens up a lot of plot possibilities.

  7. #3892
    Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
    Posts
    19,370
    Anxious for another season of Boardwalk Empire. Watched the first season ages ago when it came out then had a terrible internet plan for ages so cbf. Downloaded seasons 2 and 3 earlier this year and caned it in a week.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, N Broom, Craig Cachopa, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, I Sodhi, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

  8. #3893
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    53,719
    I agree that this Mad Men has been underwhelming compared to last season, but I reckon this week's episode was really awesome. And you just know Peggy's storyline is about to get epic with Don back in her working life.

  9. #3894
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Colonies
    Posts
    42,648
    Spent the last couple of days sick in bed watching every episode (so far) of Continuum. I think it's great for what it is.

    It certainly has its flaws; there are two pieces of plot that go beyond unlikely into plain silly in the essence of its concept and it's managed to gain the ignominy of making both sides of politics feel it has an agenda with the other. The former problem is fairly common to Sci-Fi in general though and the latter is actually what I think is so great about it. You can interpret the show in two such different ways, and there is no real protagonist as such. Every character has a distinct shade of grey and while it's clear who the "main character" is, there are hardcore fans of the show who despite her and see her as the antagonist.
    ~ Cribbage

  10. #3895
    Global Moderator Fusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I agree that this Mad Men has been underwhelming compared to last season, but I reckon this week's episode was really awesome. And you just know Peggy's storyline is about to get epic with Don back in her working life.
    Yup, the first time I've looked forward to next week's episode all season.

  11. #3896
    Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,467
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
    Yeah, the formula could have got old quickly if not for some creative writing.

    I notice the machine is becoming a character in it's own right. Opens up a lot of plot possibilities.
    They were showing it as if it was being corrupted rather than taking shape on its own.

  12. #3897
    Global Moderator Fusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,300
    The penultimate episode of The Office aired tonight and had me smiling. The Jim and Dwight moments brought back memories of the glory years. The show is nowhere near what it used to be, but its legacy is secured in the upper echelons of American comedy. I'm looking forward to the series finale next week and will miss the workers of a small Scranton paper company.

  13. #3898
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    53,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Yup, the first time I've looked forward to next week's episode all season.
    I thought the MLK ep was great too.

  14. #3899
    International Coach KiWiNiNjA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In the kitchen
    Posts
    10,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I agree that this Mad Men has been underwhelming compared to last season, but I reckon this week's episode was really awesome. And you just know Peggy's storyline is about to get epic with Don back in her working life.
    Just caught up. Yeah, this.

  15. #3900
    Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
    Posts
    19,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I thought the MLK ep was great too.
    Loved Pete in that episode.

    Also, it's funny how I started out hating him and liking Harry Crane, now I absolutely loathe Harry who is a **** of the highest order (but in terms of TV character quality is excellent) and and love Campbell, even though he does some fairly ****ty things.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. ***Official*** Religious Discussion Thread
    By nightprowler10 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 31-08-2010, 04:05 PM
  2. Official NFL 2009-2010 Thread
    By 99* in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-02-2010, 02:58 AM
  3. Arrow to show you've posted in a thread previously
    By BoyBrumby in forum Site Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-06-2009, 02:54 AM
  4. Sri Lanka Thread
    By chaminda_00 in forum 2009 ICC World Twenty20
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-05-2009, 05:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •