Page 260 of 331 FirstFirst ... 160210250258259260261262270310 ... LastLast
Results 3,886 to 3,900 of 4952
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: The TV show thread (many spoilers)

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    The Vikings is a pretty entertaining show IMO. Iím halfway done with it and look forward to finishing the rest of the season. Itís not on par with Rome or GOT, but it keeps you interested.
    Rome was so good. Being a fan of Greek-Roman history, I get snobby about shows in that period but I couldn't stop watching Rome. It was absurd how many little details they got right (not historical events but life in Rome type details). Made me go look up and learn a bunch of things I hadn't known before too.

It's yet another example of a show where you can depict flawed people as protagonists and people will watch. Would people really not like leonidas if they had shown how the Spartan economy was based in slavery much more than the Persian one? We root for tony soprano even though he's clearly a sociopath. People have a remarkable ability for empathy - and it makes the narrative so much richer.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 08-05-2013 at 12:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Whose Line is it Anyway, maybe?

Shamless was great in its first few series, not seen it for years though.
    Don't really watch improv much, so possibly.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Rome was so good. Being a fan of Greek-Roman history, I get snobby about shows in that period but I couldn't stop watching Rome. It was absurd how many little details they got right (not historical events but life in Rome type details). Made me go look up and learn a bunch of things I hadn't known before too.

It's yet another example of a show where you can depict flawed people as protagonists and people will watch. Would people really not like leonidas if they had shown how the Spartan economy was based in slavery much more than the Persian one? We root for tony soprano even though he's clearly a sociopath. People have a remarkable ability for empathy - and it makes the narrative so much richer.
    We also root for Tony Soprano because he's a badass male fantasy role cunningly disguised as a suburban everyman.

See also Walter White, etc. It's pretty much superhero comics without the capes.
    I'm always suspicious of shops that sell bait.

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Anyone watching Vegas or Person of Interest? I quite like those shows.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    I watch person of interest and love it.

The great thing about it is that despite having a particular formula it does deviate a lot with other minor/major plots.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    I watch person of interest and love it.

The great thing about it is that despite having a particular formula it does deviate a lot with other minor/major plots.
    Yeah, the formula could have got old quickly if not for some creative writing.

I notice the machine is becoming a character in it's own right. Opens up a lot of plot possibilities.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Anxious for another season of Boardwalk Empire. Watched the first season ages ago when it came out then had a terrible internet plan for ages so cbf. Downloaded seasons 2 and 3 earlier this year and caned it in a week.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, N Broom, Craig Cachopa, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, I Sodhi, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

I agree that this Mad Men has been underwhelming compared to last season, but I reckon this week's episode was really awesome. And you just know Peggy's storyline is about to get epic with Don back in her working life.

Spent the last couple of days sick in bed watching every episode (so far) of Continuum. I think it's great for what it is.

It certainly has its flaws; there are two pieces of plot that go beyond unlikely into plain silly in the essence of its concept and it's managed to gain the ignominy of making both sides of politics feel it has an agenda with the other. The former problem is fairly common to Sci-Fi in general though and the latter is actually what I think is so great about it. You can interpret the show in two such different ways, and there is no real protagonist as such. Every character has a distinct shade of grey and while it's clear who the "main character" is, there are hardcore fans of the show who despite her and see her as the antagonist.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I agree that this Mad Men has been underwhelming compared to last season, but I reckon this week's episode was really awesome. And you just know Peggy's storyline is about to get epic with Don back in her working life.
    Yup, the first time I've looked forward to next week's episode all season.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
    Yeah, the formula could have got old quickly if not for some creative writing.

I notice the machine is becoming a character in it's own right. Opens up a lot of plot possibilities.
    They were showing it as if it was being corrupted rather than taking shape on its own.

The penultimate episode of The Office aired tonight and had me smiling. The Jim and Dwight moments brought back memories of the glory years. The show is nowhere near what it used to be, but its legacy is secured in the upper echelons of American comedy. I'm looking forward to the series finale next week and will miss the workers of a small Scranton paper company.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Yup, the first time I've looked forward to next week's episode all season.
    I thought the MLK ep was great too.

Just caught up. Yeah, this.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    I thought the MLK ep was great too.
    Loved Pete in that episode.

Also, it's funny how I started out hating him and liking Harry Crane, now I absolutely loathe Harry who is a **** of the highest order (but in terms of TV character quality is excellent) and and love Campbell, even though he does some fairly ****ty things.

Thread Information