Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry Olonga Fan Club

Henry Olonga Fan Club

we should make one.
    he is very inspiring and the best role model around at the moment for young athletes.
    life's a gift thats why they call it the present

International Vice-Captain Anna's Avatar
    I couldn't agree more.

COME ON YOU BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"One day lad, all this will be yours"
    "What, the curtains?"

could you try?

International Vice-Captain Anna's Avatar
    I totally and whole heartedly agree with every little agreeing bit in me - is that better?

It will do.
    If you times it by infinity plus 1. :P .

back to seriousness though...

www.henryolonga.com is his website.. not flash but worth reading what he has to say.

how come andy flower wasn't going to be arrested by the way? does anyone know?

International Debutant Eyes_Only's Avatar

Count Me In!!

I'll be a member if you do....

He and Andy Flower's protest was the bravest thing I have ever seen on a cricket field!

Not even Simon Taufel (who umpired that game with David Sheppard) had any idea what was going to happen. He emailed me and said it was the bravest thing he had ever seen..
    Last edited by Eyes_Only; 19-03-2003 at 04:43 PM.
    Simon Taufel---ICC Umpire Of The Year 2005/2006/2007

Proud Member of CW Green

Proud member of the Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team

NSW Blues---ING Cup Champions 2005/2006

3rd May 1955-19th January 2004----RIP Hookesy

"Just keep your mouth shut and I'll only have to think you're stupid." The golden rule of umpiring according to the world's best cricket umpire, Australia's Simon Taufel.

ooo... an email...

i emailed henry and said i thought it was brave and wonderful too. and i kind of rambled on about stuff too. i doubt i will get a reply to that...

i support andy flower too, but for henry olonga it was an even barver thing to do beacuse many felt he was going against his own people. That must be where the treason comes into it:rolleyes:

Has he been picked up by an English club yet??

Last I heard was that he was hoping that a club would offer him a contract so he could live in England...

Yea, he was either going to seek asylum in England or go home to Kenya where his family lives or something.

Sweet!!

Here is an aricle I just found about Andy Flower...who BTW is coming Down Under!!

Taken from: www.sundaytimes.co.za

==============================================

Andy Flower will always be a Zimbabwean

By Telford Vice

Andy Flower's thighs and chest are mottled by a mystery rash, an eye infection is preventing him from using his contact lenses, and his groin remains strained.

So there had to be a powerful reason for the utter relief he could not hide as he imbibed South Africa's honeyed afternoon sunshine this week. There was.

His wife, Rebecca, their three children and his parents had arrived in England that morning. Zimbabwe and its challenges were behind them for good.

Flower himself played the final match for his country against Sri Lanka in East London yesterday. Soon he too will bid farewell to his beloved country to play for Essex this northern summer and, it is widely anticipated, for South Australia in the winter. It will be no easy goodbye.

"Being out of Zimbabwe helps, and having the family out," Flower said, explaining his increasing peace of mind.

"The fact that some of the pressure is wearing off. It's good being down here in South Africa where there's less attention on Henry [Olonga] and I, and the situation in general. So I feel more relaxed about it."

Olonga, 26, yesterday announced his retirement from international cricket, saying he had receiving threats which he believed made it dangerous for him to return to the country.

Flower and Olonga changed their lives in Harare on February 10 when they used the international focus on the World Cup match between Zimbabwe and Namibia to take a stand against human rights horrors being perpetrated there.

They wore black armbands and released a statement mourning the "death of democracy". They spoke not of Robert Mugabe, nor Zanu-PF nor the Movement for Democratic Change.

They spoke of starvation and oppression, of Aids and the daily suffocation of voices. Their stand sparked a wildfire of response. "The positive reaction has been overwhelming, and it has come from all over the world," Flower said.

"It far outweighs the negative stuff. The negative reaction comes, I think, from a small section of Zimbabweans, government people.

"Some of the letters in the papers did not sound as if they were written by members of the public. The wording was similar to government statements."

A memorable example of the support Flower and Olonga have received came while Flower was breakfasting at the team's hotel in Bulawayo last week.

Three matronly mamas were on their way back to the buffet when they paused in the centre of the room. "Which of you is Andy Flower?" one demanded.

Bemused, Flower identified himself.

"Oh, we love you," they cooed, and smothered him in emphatic hugs.

The Zimbabwe Cricket Union (ZCU) saw the matter differently. They warned the pair to desist or risk not being paid, and could yet summon them to a hearing to explain themselves.

"My relationship with the ZCU has been very tense. I find it hard to understand exactly why," Flower said.

"What we said in that statement was not totally apolitical, but it was certainly made from a human rights point of view, not from a political one.

"We wanted to speak about some of the things that were happening in the country that were not right, and we wanted our views known. We feel we have clearer consciences for doing so.

"I'm surprised that people in the ZCU took offence to it. Are they saying that they disagree with what we said?"

The stress mounted, and Flower's form suffered. There were whispers of death threats. Shameful murmurs from within the Zimbabwe cricket establishment accused Flower of not giving his all on the field.

"It did affect my game, but it certainly wasn't a case of not trying. That was a bizarre suggestion from various quarters, and I'm sure it was designed simply to get me out of the side. I have no doubt about that at all."

His stroke from the twilight zone, a one-handed reverse sweep for a single against India, seemed to fuel what remained a ludicrous argument considering the many matches in which Flower's passion and commitment have been all that stood between Zimbabwe and utter embarrassment.

He insisted the shot was serious. "I played it a couple of weeks earlier in an inter-provincial game and it came off.

"Against India I completely misread the line and I couldn't reach the ball holding the bat with both hands. It most certainly wasn't casual."

Just as there was nothing unconsidered about the stand taken by him and Olonga.

"We made our statement with the goal of some good coming of it," Flower said. "If what we said publicly allows just a few other people to say what they really feel, or to find just a little more inspiration, or the courage to say or do something, then it's been worthwhile.

"Big movements often result from a small action. If everyone contributes something small we'll start moving in the right direction."

Those words would mark Flower out to many as a patriot, a hero, a revolutionary. But to those who know him, he is all and everything he wants to be: a man whose love for his country runs deep in his soul.

Wherever he goes and wherever he plays in the world, nothing and no one will change that.

Well... i can't believe what has happened to the pair. It's shocking.

At least they have a second chance in England...

It must really be a nightmare for them...worrying about themselves and their families like that!

Yea...

I wonder what would have happened if the whole team wore the arm bands.

do you think mugabe- the cricket fan that he is- would have ordered the arrest of the whole team?

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    I suggest that every person who reads this thread sends Henry Olonga a personal message of support.

He has lost his career and he has lost his country. If you read what is written on his website it is obvious that it was the most difficult decision he ever had to make - yet, you know, he would do the same again. I feel terribly humble at the moment.

Despite the fact that he is an international celebrity, the one thing he will feel (perhaps) is ALONE. Just a few words - that's all it will take to let him know that someone else cares.

Over the next few weeks, the world's attention will be diverted away from Zimbabwe and Henry Olonga towards another country with a foul dictator.

I feel that we must not let the world forget Zimbabwe - and Henry. What can you do? Write to your MP, government, anything, sure, but above all, write to Henry.

What does it matter if you don't get a reply? The next time he logs on and sees thousands of messages streaming in to his Inbox, he will know that he is not alone.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Great idea Eddie...

Will do it right away!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information