Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Quick Question Regarding Journalism Practice

  1. #1
    123/5 Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Posts
    40,314

    Quick Question Regarding Journalism Practice

    What are some good ways to practice journalism? I'm having a look around for some local magazines that take on students hoping to do journalism courses and I'm practicing writing opinion columns and that sort of stuff on my computer and bullying my family into reading them. I'm about to start my last year of school and am going on to uni to do journalism but do you guys know any other good ways of practicing? Cheers.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 08-12-2007 at 03:44 AM.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame Member Smudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    There or thereabouts
    Posts
    17,791
    Write, write, and write.

    I'm an unusual case for a journalist. Went to uni, failed dismally, then muffed round doing bugger all. I then did a really basic one-year media communications course and from there, it was a case of building on it.

    If you want to get into sports, just try writing match reports of games you watch on TV. Vary the length of the reports - set yourself a word limit before you write it - and try and find fresh angles and interesting hooks for the intros if you can. But it's no use just writing them and not doing anything else with them - let other people have a look at them and critique them.

    If you get a chance, get as much stuff published as possible - journalism heads of staff/tutors love that stuff. Keep in mind opinion pieces are useful, but if you're getting into daily journalism, it's going to be a few years down the track before you're going to get the chance to write any.

    Let me know if you have any questions.

  3. #3
    123/5 Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Posts
    40,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    Write, write, and write.

    I'm an unusual case for a journalist. Went to uni, failed dismally, then muffed round doing bugger all. I then did a really basic one-year media communications course and from there, it was a case of building on it.

    If you want to get into sports, just try writing match reports of games you watch on TV. Vary the length of the reports - set yourself a word limit before you write it - and try and find fresh angles and interesting hooks for the intros if you can. But it's no use just writing them and not doing anything else with them - let other people have a look at them and critique them.

    If you get a chance, get as much stuff published as possible - journalism heads of staff/tutors love that stuff. Keep in mind opinion pieces are useful, but if you're getting into daily journalism, it's going to be a few years down the track before you're going to get the chance to write any.

    Let me know if you have any questions.
    Cheers

    When you say as much stuff published as possible do you mean just finish alot of practice reports, write for some random mag, or books published by proper publishing companies?

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame Member Smudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    There or thereabouts
    Posts
    17,791
    Ummm, not books published, no. That's probably a bit too much to ask at your tender age.

    I mean get book reviews/game reviews/CD reviews/match reports of whatever published by anyone - be it a free community paper, the Taranaki Daily News, even Cricket Web...

    Contact some of those local papers and ask if there's anything you could do or what their criteria is for publishing stuff.


  5. #5
    123/5 Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Posts
    40,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    Ummm, not books published, no. That's probably a bit too much to ask at your tender age.

    I mean get book reviews/game reviews/CD reviews/match reports of whatever published by anyone - be it a free community paper, the Taranaki Daily News, even Cricket Web... :P
    Didn't think it would be books.

    OK sounds good, thanks for the advice Volty.

  6. #6
    Hall of Fame Member Smudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    There or thereabouts
    Posts
    17,791
    Best thing I did between the year I did my media communications course (2001) and my print journalism course (2003) was offer my services to the Otago Daily Times covering club rugby. I got paid for it too, which was good, but ever since then, I've had a good rapport with the guys there and my reputation was enhanced immediately.

    Now if only one of their sports guys would disappear...

  7. #7
    123/5 Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Posts
    40,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    Best thing I did between the year I did my media communications course (2001) and my print journalism course (2003) was offer my services to the Otago Daily Times covering club rugby. I got paid for it too, which was good, but ever since then, I've had a good rapport with the guys there and my reputation was enhanced immediately.

    Now if only one of their sports guys would disappear...
    Can I do the report on their murd..I mean disappearance?

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame Member Smudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    There or thereabouts
    Posts
    17,791
    Sure. I'm getting my mate David Bain onto it. I would have got David Gray, but... well... he's dead.

  9. #9
    123/5 Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Posts
    40,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    Sure. I'm getting my mate David Bain onto it. I would have got David Gray, but... well... he's dead.
    Good plan. You could do a paper run while he's doing it.

  10. #10
    International Regular 1-9-7-7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ireland bois
    Posts
    3,501
    Review everything.
    I've written a good few album reviews. I tend to at least sum up in writing what I think of every album I buy. If your into movies review them, into sports review games.
    I hope to take on journalism in college.
    Do you do History?
    Thats a great subject to help.
    A Free Lesson On Growing Up
    Make The Best Of Their Worst
    And Never Compromise On Anything That You Think Is Right

  11. #11
    International Regular Josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,903
    E-mags, reviews, whatever.

    Taking from the local music street press, some of their content is purely from people voluntarily reviewing and commenting on gigs or CDs, who aren't employed by them and don't get paid at all.

  12. #12
    International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,898
    Write for CW. I did it for almost two years and the improvement in my writing was marked.

  13. #13
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clutha Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    21,816
    Definitely try and write for CW.

    When the lady rang me up and gave me an interview over the phone in regards to the course I wanted to do next year, she seemed very pleased that I had been writing for a website.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

  14. #14
    Hall of Fame Member HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... And I'm all out of bubblegum.
    Posts
    16,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    What are some good ways to practice journalism? I'm having a look around for some local magazines that take on students hoping to do journalism courses and I'm practicing writing opinion columns and that sort of stuff on my computer and bullying my family into reading them. I'm about to start my last year of school and am going on to uni to do journalism but do you guys know any other good ways of practicing? Cheers.
    Hey Phlegm. Give me an e-mail and I might have a few pointers for you. heathdavisspeed@yahoo.co.nz. Or catch me on MSN.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.


    Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.
    ~~~~Categorically not Heath Davis~~~~

  15. #15
    123/5 Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Posts
    40,314
    Cheers guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Quick Question
    By Dr_Brad in forum Site Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-09-2007, 08:34 AM
  2. A quick question
    By raymondo in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-10-2005, 05:13 PM
  3. just a quick question.
    By sledger in forum Cricket Games
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 16-08-2005, 03:45 AM
  4. Quick question
    By The Argonaut in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-10-2003, 04:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •