Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 season starts this weekend!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar

Formula 1 season starts this weekend!

The new f1 season starts this weekend when the show rolls into Melbourne. It has been dominated by Michael Schumacher for a few seasons now, but this year will be different. (hmm us Coulthard fans say that every year)
    I got this interested article from planet-f1.com

Patrick Head says there could be some close qualifying battles taking place in 2003 - between Ferrari and Minardi

With teams able to choose light or heavy fuel loads for qualifying, Head believes some of the slower teams will choose to run light.

"I can see some of the less financially secure teams taking a gamble and running light in qualifying just to get their cars some publicity by starting at the front of the grid," Head told The Independent.

"Theoretically, I suppose if Minardi's deficit to Ferrari in qualifying last year was three seconds and that 10 kg of fuel is worth 0.25-0.40sec a lap, if they elected to run with 20kg of fuel when Michael had, say, 80kg in the Ferrari, it could be close..."

McLaren's Kimi Raikkonen is another who believes the 2003 season could be an interesting one. However he is more concerned about the fact that drivers have only one lap in which to qualify.

"It's hard to tell, really, what single-lap qualifying will mean," said Raikkonen. "Everybody makes mistakes, and you only get the chance to make one. There will be much different grid positions because there will be such big time differences between the first guy out and the last one. And maybe it will rain. You're going to see more accidents in qualifying, for sure. I'm looking forward to it."

Juan Pablo Montoya is also excited to see how qualifying pans out. "It went really good when I did it in IndyCars," said the Williams driver. "It's going to be a big challenge. Getting the car right is going to be very critical. I think it's going to make qualifying very interesting, because somebody makes a mistake they're going to end up parked and down the grid, and the level of concentration is going to be really high."

my predicted top 8 this weekend is

1. David Coulthard
    2. Michael Schumacher
    3. Ralf Schumacher
    4. Jensen Button
    5. Kimi Raikkonen
    6. Mark Webber
    7. Nick Hiedfeld
    8. Heinz Harold Frentzen

Rik
    I've watched F1 since 1994, but lately I've just got bored with it as there is just no competition. 1996 and 1997 were competitive but since then McLaren and Ferrari have dominated and I hate Schumacher anyway because he rammed Damon Hill off in 1994...I've never had any respect for him since, especially when he's tried to do it again.
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    I used to love Formula 1 (and motor racing in general) but total domination by one team over the rest is to the detriment of the sport.

Maybe this year will be different - maybe not.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Rik
    Well if it just goes the same way this year I'll just not bother.

patience my good friends.
    maybe not this season, but definately by the end of next season the new rules implemented will have more teams challenging for wins. Ferrari will be brought back to the field, as always Williams and McLaren will be up there too, but Toyota should start moving up very soon and Jaguar seems to be getting things right.
    Keep interested, the best sport on earth is about to get better

Originally posted by broncoman
    60 foot lane, a 15 pound ball, ten pins - what's that got to do with motor racing?

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Originally posted by luckyeddie
    I used to love Formula 1 (and motor racing in general) but total domination by one team over the rest is to the detriment of the sport.
    So, by that token have you given up watching Cricket?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Originally posted by marc71178
    So, by that token have you given up watching Cricket?
    Not really, marc. I'm not old enough to remember when England had a good side (I'm only 50), but I can remember when Formula 1 was a bit closer

International Captain
    patience my good friends.
    maybe not this season, but definately by the end of next season the new rules implemented will have more teams challenging for wins. Ferrari will be brought back to the field, as always Williams and McLaren will be up there too, but Toyota should start moving up very soon and Jaguar seems to be getting things right.

Hows that then Broncoman? If the new rules bring Ferrari back to a beatable team, then that means things have been changed to make them less effective, therefore everyone else is at the same disadvantage to they will all drop back as well, therefore making Ferrari just as far out front as they have been for the past 2 years.

Am I correct in assuming that the fundamental changes in the sport are, er, retro-technological (doing away with technological advances on the grounds that only the 'rich' teams can afford to develop them)?

A similar thing happened during the early 19th century in the textile industry.

If that is the case then it seems that cricket is not the only sport being administered by Luddites.

Pinball Champion!
    Well my family are pretty crazy about F1, but Im not convinced. its alright, I dont mind watching it, but I prefer touring cars or World Rally Championship
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Originally posted by Rich2001
    Hows that then Broncoman? If the new rules bring Ferrari back to a beatable team, then that means things have been changed to make them less effective, therefore everyone else is at the same disadvantage to they will all drop back as well, therefore making Ferrari just as far out front as they have been for the past 2 years.
    not reall rich, thats the same as saying if we took cricket bats away from batsman in cricket to bring australia back to the field. that australia would still win the way they do.
    of course they wouldnt, because no one can bat without a cricket bat. hope that made sense.

International Captain
    not reall rich, thats the same as saying if we took cricket bats away from batsman in cricket to bring australia back to the field. that australia would still win the way they do.
    of course they wouldnt, because no one can bat without a cricket bat. hope that made sense.
    I kinda get you but I think your example goes to far, the equal to that in F1 would be taking the guys cars away.

What Iam saying is (using the cricket bat idea) That if the ICC think um the Aussies are to good to disadvantage them lets take an inch of the lenght of the bat, however this would disadvantage everyone else as well as everyones bat would be an inch less in size meaning the "idea" has wipped itself out, therefore meaning that we are back at the start, where the Aussies are out infront.

However if the idea is like LE said where it only disadvantages the top teams as they are the only ones who can afford it anyway, then I can see excatly how that would work at bring everyone back closer togeter.

Rik
    Originally posted by luckyeddie
    60 foot lane, a 15 pound ball, ten pins - what's that got to do with motor racing?
    I was about to ask what it had to do with 2 sets of 3 stumps, a bowler, 2 batmen, 10 other fielders, 2 umpires and a nice flat green field...

no, the changes effect all the teams.
    the fuel rule for example, teams have to start the race with the same amount of fuel as they finish qualifying with. it is expected that big teams like Ferrari, mcLaren and williams will qualify with a heavy fuel load and some mid teams like Jaquar and Renault will qualify with light fuel loads, which in turn gets them a lighter and faster car for qualifying.
    right now in F1 over taking can be quite hard, but rules are being put in place to change that, so you may find some of the middle range cars spend quite a lot of the race up the front.
    i guess if you want to make a cricket connection you could say in a match, all the right hand batsman have to bat left handed and all the left handers have to bat right handed, it disadvantages both yet, they would then both be equal. even if the game was england v australia

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information