Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: US politics thread

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I concede that Bush's diplomatic skills are hardly ideal, but it is still miles better than anything the democrats would do - which would undoubtedly involve the most useless organization known to man (UN).
    That's just plain old harsh when you've got the BCCI, the ASEAN and the ALP. The UN isn't all that bad anyway; it's mainly the Security Council that is quite famously the most disjoined branch (and not without good reason).
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    what is the perspective that would make sense for you in this particular scenario...lots of people kept incarcerated and tortured without following any due process and with absolutely no regard for their civil rights...
    Technically speaking the US is not obliged to respect their civil rights, because they have none. They are non-US citizens defined as unlawful combatants under international law.

cpr
    Interesting points on US foreign policy. Firstly saying the democrats have a bury head in sand approach, i dont think that rings true. Clinton was quite upfront with Kosovo and at times with Iraq. Historical context cant be used, as the world has changed so much its virtually impossible to take a laissez faire attitude (which incidently was the old Republican line going back). American companies are so multi national, as indeed are American citizens, plus the growth of globally shrinking technology such as the internet makes it very difficult to ignore far off situations if the populace feel its in their interests to act. One saving grace i suppose is the general populations blase approach to foreign policy.

Secondly, Guantanamo etc. Personally i disagree with the 'unlawful combatants' line. Obviously the Geneva convention covers prisoners of war. This dates back nigh on 60 years, when war was between nations (the first real guerilla warfare was in its infancy, in Vietnam, which was seen as nothing more than a civil war at the time, not anything outside the nation boundary). It has no concept of modern warfare, and to use it to count people as non lawful combatants is simply testicles. Think its absolutely disgusting. Didnt argue with the war in Iraq (end of the day Saddam was a dictator who persicuted his own people and caused untold numbers of deaths through murder and general suffering), but this arrogance is shocking.

As for torture. Meh. Its war. You dont ask the enemy to nicely put down the gun and not blow up our city. He wont. You shoot him in the head. Likewise you dont ask mr prisoner to kindly indulge all his secrets. If the infomation is critical, he must be made to talk. Lives most probably depend on how quick its found out. Obviously theres going too far, and sadistic generals will do it for giggles, but the theory of torture for infomation is in my eyes justifyable (hey, human rights watch. They have the right not to be tortured. Just tell all first and you wont be. Cant say fairer than that)
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Laissez Faire - Economics, not anything to do with foreign policy.
    First real guerilla - Spain easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    as opposed to the bash your head in if you disagree with us foreign policy agenda...yeah that makes more sense...

sure, shooting them would be much preferable, right?
    If it works then sure, why not.

And yes shooting terrorists sounds like a great idea.

In all seriousness, instead of invading random countries Bush should concentrate on finding Osama. I'd quite like him to pull out of Iraq because I'm tired of paying a small fortune for petrol and seeing "Iraq going no where" news headlines. Next time you invade somewhere at least do it properly FFS.

And if the lefties think asking Iran to be nice will work and they get into office I'm building a bomb shelter. If Bush starts mobilising troops against Iran I'm building a bigger bomb shelter.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    If it works then sure, why not.

And yes shooting terrorists sounds like a great idea.

In all seriousness, instead of invading random countries Bush should concentrate on finding Osama. I'd quite like him to pull out of Iraq because I'm tired of paying a small fortune for petrol and seeing "Iraq going no where" news headlines. Next time you invade somewhere at least do it properly FFS.

And if the lefties think asking Iran to be nice will work and they get into office I'm building a bomb shelter. If Bush starts mobilising troops against Iran I'm building a bigger bomb shelter.

Worlds a complicated place and there's not going to be any easy answers IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post

Worlds a complicated place and there's not going to be any easy answers IMO.
    I know. Though I do know one sure thing. Politics suck.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    I'm just glad it won't be Bush anymore...
    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

"There's more chance of SoC making a good post than Smith averaging 99.95." - Furball

"**** you're such a **** poster." - Furball

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    Laissez Faire - Economics, not anything to do with foreign policy.
    First real guerilla - Spain easily.
    Yes
    and hmm, yes

Cold (sober) light of day, i was wrong. Confused laissez faire with isolationism, which was earlier, and about foreign policy.

And forgot about Spain. always do. Makes modules on spanish politics hard.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Well, I wouldn't call myself Pro-Bush. However, he has been villified too much for my liking, and most of the attacks are ad hominem attacks on his intelligence (which is not considerable) rather than specific policy.
    Hasnt had half the criticism he has deserved. Whether it be for lack of interviews and transparancy to campaign behavior to huge spending that almost bankrupts the country whilst there is nothing to show or it. There are actually too many things to criticise his actions on and therefore it can get boring. Dosnt help that many of the critics are annoying whiney types that people dont want to listen to though.

I concede that Bush's diplomatic skills are hardly ideal, but it is still miles better than anything the democrats would do - which would undoubtedly involve the most useless organization known to man (UN).
    Nah

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    (the first real guerilla warfare was in its infancy, in Vietnam, which was seen as nothing more than a civil war at the time, not anything outside the nation boundary)
    Napoleonic Wars

Back on topic. Im not a particular fan of either main party. Will end up in all likelyhood voting Democrat (thats if I can be bothered to vote)
    Last edited by Goughy; 03-11-2007 at 09:39 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Hasnt had half the criticism he has deserved. Whether it be for lack of interviews and transparancy to campaign behavior to huge spending that almost bankrupts the country whilst there is nothing to show or it. There are actually too many things to criticise his actions on and therefore it can get boring. Dosnt help that many of the critics are annoying whiney types that people dont want to listen to though.
    I agree that campaign financing is a big issue, but democrats are not far behind republicans in spending. I do agree that there needs to be a hard cap on it like in the UK.

Back on topic. Im not a particular fan of either main party. Will end up in all likelyhood voting Democrat (thats if I can be bothered to vote)
    I knew you lived in the US, but didn't know you were a citizen.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

still scratching around in the same old hole
    I agree that campaign financing is a big issue, but democrats are not far behind republicans in spending. I do agree that there needs to be a hard cap on it like in the UK.
    Not just financing (though tha is a big issue). The way he and his team did a dirty number on McCain and tried to make him look a coward when he has a proud record of serving his country. It was some of the most sickening stuff I have seen and that is Republican on Republican crime

The way his campaigns have been run have been nothing short of shocking. Many give a nod to the dirty side but few if any embrace it like team Bush has done.

I knew you lived in the US, but didn't know you were a citizen.
    Aye

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Napoleonic Wars
    Not to mention many others... Guerrilla warfare may have been perfected in Vietnam but by no means did it begin there. Look at World War 2, the British-Indian contingents fighting the Japanese for example.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Tito's partisans is probably a better WW2 example.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    The Maori were pretty good at guerilla warfare IIRC.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information