Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Music from Subcontinent

Music from Subcontinent

Got this idea from my brief discussion with NP07 and Fusion about Junoon. There is so much variety and quality music in the subcontient that a lot of us dont even know and and mostly limited to Film music.

So guys please jump in and tell us the stuff you like to listen, latest stuff you have been listening to and would like to recommend. It can be anything, folk, sufi, classical, filmi..anything. I will start with couple of albums that I have been listening to these days :-

1. Ustaad and Divas, you can listen to some of it over here :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn8t1QI1VKg

2. Kailash Kher, some of his stuff :-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMO7Ryap9So
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzAB5SNhWEw

Amazing stuff from Kailash, Love the 'khanak' in his voice.

Great idea. I'm going to compile a few of my favorite songs and post it like you did. Give me a few hours...

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Great idea for a thread. I love listening to ghazals... Ghulam Ali is a favourite. Others I like - Mehdi Hassan, Munni Begum, Jagjit Singh.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush View Post
    Great idea for a thread. I love listening to ghazals... Ghulam Ali is a favourite. Others I like - Mehdi Hassan, Munni Begum, Jagjit Singh.
    Any particular Ghulam Ali Ghazal ? I love all his renditions but the ones he has sung in Punjabi are very very special and this is despite my limited understanding of the Punjabi Language. The man is simply amazing.

Awesome idea.

I'll be the first to admit, that as an anglo Indian I am not as familiar with Indian (or sub-continental) music as I would like to be. I listen every now and then, but not enough.

Will be cool getting recommendations with posters who know quite a bit.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Any particular Ghulam Ali Ghazal ? I love all his renditions but the ones he has sung in Punjabi are very very special and this is despite my limited understanding of the Punjabi Language. The man is simply amazing.
    Chupke Chupke is my favourite. Ya he is so so amazing... I haven't gone deep into ghazals or music in general (I say music in general because there is so much Western and other music I want to explore as well). Usually, because of my deep love for films, I find that I give music and even books a step brother treatment.

About the meanings... a few of us friends, some times when we meet, we enjoy ghazals appreciating and understanding meanings and the music and it is superb exercise for us...
    Last edited by Pratters; 23-10-2007 at 12:45 PM.

Atif Aslam is my current favourite, his "aadat" is my top pick. In terms of all time favouites it has to be Junoon their "Sayonee" was a real rage.

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    Atif Aslam is my current favourite, his "aadat" is my top pick. In terms of all time favouites it has to be Junoon their "Sayonee" was a real rage.
    Is that the one where they go, "Saayyyyyyoooooooooneeeeeeeeeeeeee, something something mujhe tere bin chein (sp?) nahin"? Something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
    Is that the one where they go, "Saayyyyyyoooooooooneeeeeeeeeeeeee, something something mujhe tere bin chein (sp?) nahin"? Something like that?
    Yes.

I use to be a big bhangra fan a few months ago, still am in fact, but there hasn't been anything new except maybe Imran Khan's Unforgettable album coming out later this month and Swami's new album. And don't really listen to a lot of Hindi filmi music either, however, the title song for Bhool Bhulayia is pretty good. I like Qawwali music quite a bit. And yeah Atif's been on a role recently, like quite a few of his songs.

Other than that nothing much, more into English music these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush View Post
    Yes.
    Great song tbh.
    Last edited by Turbinator; 23-10-2007 at 02:02 PM.

Btw, anyone heard Rabbi Shergill the guy who made the song Bulla Ki Jana in 2005? Big fan of his, love his voice. Also, not to forget, Kailash Kher, another wonderful voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Awesome idea.

I'll be the first to admit, that as an anglo Indian I am not as familiar with Indian (or sub-continental) music as I would like to be. I listen every now and then, but not enough.

Will be cool getting recommendations with posters who know quite a bit.
    I think something like Junoon is perfect for folks like you. I consider them a folk- -rock fusion band (if there is such a thing). I love the way they create a fusion of Eastern and Western Instruments (most notably with Tabla and Guitar).

They are the greatest band from the subcontinent. Two of their best albums IMO are Parvaaz and Azaadi.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    I think something like Junoon is perfect for folks like you. I consider them a folk- -rock fusion band (if there is such a thing). I love the way they create a fusion of Eastern and Western Instruments (most notably with Tabla and Guitar).

They are the greatest band from the subcontinent. Two of their best albums IMO are Parvaaz and Azaadi.
    They arent a band anymore....they split up!!!! Anyway they did make some amazing albums....and i still like this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PDfwfeX7ao
    Wasim Akram: The most sKiLlFuL bowler in history!

Mcgrath said he is fond of the genius "Akram would power through the crease and do whatever he wanted with the old and new ball"

Allan Border "If I ever get a chance to be reborn as a cricketer, I would want to be Wasim"

Richards, Tendulkar and Waugh described Akram as the most dangerous bowler they had ever faced.

> > > Wasims Magic Delivery. Late Swing. Hatrick. < < <

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
    Btw, anyone heard Rabbi Shergill the guy who made the song Bulla Ki Jana in 2005? Big fan of his, love his voice. Also, not to forget, Kailash Kher, another wonderful voice.
    Great Choice. Rabbi is very good and I credit him (along with Junoon) for bringing out the message of Bulley Shah to the common people through his music.

Turb - If you like Kher, Try his albums e.g. Kailasha' and 'Jhoomo Re', They are IMO way better than his filmi songs.

Quote Originally Posted by godofcricket View Post
    They arent a band anymore....they split up!!!!
    Well to me they will always be a band. Their music is immortal only as the band Junoon.

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information