Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Music from Subcontinent

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    I doubt you have all 125 albums by NFAK, but as Sanz said he was a qawwal by trade. I'm not a big fan of ghazals tbh, but I did grow up listening to Mehdi Hasan, Ghulam Ali, Abida Parveen, Iqbal Bano, Munni Begum and Noor Jehan (not her movie song crap).
    No, I have about 50-60. A lot of them have repeat songs though.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Yeah he's done ghazals, plenty of them. In fact some of his more famous "qawwalis" were really ghazals IMO.
    Not sure what you mean ? I mean is it some poetry that was originally sung as Ghazal by someone and NFAK sang it as Qawwalli ?

If that is what you meant then it is definately possible. There is one particular song like that which I like very much :-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD6y41sDFDw (as Qawwalli ) by Aziz Mian

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pL92zrEVcE - (as Ghazal) by Munni Begum.

I absolutely love both the versions but feel that Aziz mian's version is an absolute master piece.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Not sure what you mean ? I mean is it some poetry that was originally sung as Ghazal by someone and NFAK sang it as Qawwalli ?
    Yeah, thats what I meant.

BTW, I forgot how little I liked looking at Aziz Mian.
    RIP Craigos

Banned
    Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan is a Qawwalli singer, I dont think he has ever sung Ghazals (I could be wrong though).
    Originally,Nusrat was a Qawwaall but later made number of albums making a blend of eastern & weters music which didn't contain Qawwali.I like him him for the mixture of eastern & westers music he produced,not because of his qawallis.Give his songs a chance as well.

Pakistani Brothers - Have you heard Ustaad Amanat Ali Khaan ? I am surprised that no one has mentioned him yet. One of my Pakistani friend had given this collection of best Pakistani nazms and one of the songs (Hothon Pe kahin Unka Naam) was where He didn't remember the name of the singer and I obviously didn't know either.

Then recently I had the opportunity to hear another song from him which I guess also happens to be a Pakistani patriotic song or some thing(Dont ask how I got into all this) and it sounded similar to the song I had. Did some research and guess what I found :-

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jsg6w07m02w

If you have not heard him..try listening to him. What an amazingly soothing and calm voice.

Quote Originally Posted by BhupinderSingh View Post
    Originally,Nusrat was a Qawwaall but later made number of albums making a blend of eastern & weters music which didn't contain Qawwali.I like him him for the mixture of eastern & westers music he produced,not because of his qawallis.Give his songs a chance as well.
    Bhupinder Singh ji, I am great fan of NFAK saab and listen to him a lot.

Banned
    Pakistani Brothers - Have you heard Ustaad Amanat Ali Khaan ? I am surprised that no one has mentioned him yet. One of my Pakistani friend had given this collection of best Pakistani nazms and one of the songs (Hothon Pe kahin Unka Naam) was where He didn't remember the name of the singer and I obviously didn't know either.

Then recently I had the opportunity to hear another song from him which I guess also happens to be a Pakistani patriotic song or some thing(Dont ask how I got into all this) and it sounded similar to the song I had. Did some research and guess what I found :-

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jsg6w07m02w

If you have not heard him..try listening to him. What an amazingly soothing and calm voice.
    No one mentioned him because he was a classical singer basically but produced some great Ghazals also.And that song that you mentioned is "Honton pe kabhi mera naam hi aayay",another one I like is "Insha ji ab kooch karo".Shafqat Amanat Ali Khan,the vocalist of Fuzon band is his son.His other son,Asad Amanat Ali Khan,a sem-classical & ghazal singer died last year.And Amanat Ali Khan's grandfather was a singer in Maharaja Patiala's court.
    Last edited by BhupinderSingh; 03-11-2007 at 03:20 AM.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Asad died?

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I know squat about subcontinental music, but thought I'd share the fruits of a couple of Indian-born, UK-raised singers for no other reason than these are both cock-on tunes:

Dark Therapy by Echobelly - fronted by the rather gorgeous Sonya Aurora Maden

Your Woman by White Town - AKA Joyti Mishra. This actually reached no 1 over here.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Quote Originally Posted by BhupinderSingh View Post
    No one mentioned him because he was a classical singer basically but produced some great Ghazals also.And that song that you mentioned is "Honton pe kabhi mera naam hi aayay",another one I like is "Insha ji ab kooch karo".Shafqat Amanat Ali Khan,the vocalist of Fuzon band is his son.His other son,Asad Amanat Ali Khan,a sem-classical & ghazal singer died last year.And Amanat Ali Khan's grandfather was a singer in Maharaja Patiala's court.
    Bhupinder Singh, Thanks for the information. I did get to know some of it during my research.

Please feel free to mention any classical singing that you listen to and like very much. This thread is for all kinds music from subcontinent. Infact I was going to mention this myself.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I know squat about subcontinental music, but thought I'd share the fruits of a couple of Indian-born, UK-raised singers for no other reason than these are both cock-on tunes:

Dark Therapy by Echobelly - fronted by the rather gorgeous Sonya Aurora Maden

Your Woman by White Town - AKA Joyti Mishra. This actually reached no 1 over here.
    Dont forget our own Farookh Balsara aka Freddie Mercury.

Anyone listens to any classical vocal/instrumental music here ? I myself am not a great fan of it but do listen to it once in a while, dont understand much though.

That said listening to a Live classical music vocal/instrumental performance is a totally different experience and I must say it is much more satisfying and entertaining than say a popular music live performance. Here is one of the live performance that I had the opportunity to attend to, it is clearly one of the best live performance I have been to :-

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R8W1rgCrTMg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nNjRoEkv_WE

Dont forget our own Farookh Balsara aka Freddie Mercury.
    Yes, Brumby's a bit of a fan of his iirc
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Revisiting this thread :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN5c7x2YsCM

Sadly Ghulam Ali in India is identified as the guy who sang Chupke Chupke....He is just too good. PTV version of the above song :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aYr0KM6XMw

Oh and this is a must listen, for anyone who likes any kind of subcontinent music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0SnDBSyuSE

'Bechain' by the Maestro :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0SnDBSyuSE

Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread Information