Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Music from Subcontinent

Anyone has heard the band 'Indian Ocean' - Right now I am listening to their song 'Arey ruk Ja re Bande'. Its pretty good. Good Lyrics and great vocals.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Link?
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Link?
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG6hDtikGQo

Pratyush, I did see that, but I wasn't sure if you had actually listened to it.

R_D
    Raeth- Tumhare Liye and Bhulado. Both are nice songs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush View Post
    Glad you like Manna Dey... BTW do try SD Burman compositions if you haven't indepth. I am sure you will love them...
    Love his work with Kishore Kumar & Muhammad Rafi.BTW,its very rare for princes(he was from some Royal Family,wasn't he?) like him to take music as profession.He's a legend no doubt.

Cricket Web Content Updater alternative's Avatar
    This probably doesn't fit anywhere near the songs that have been discussed here but i thought i would add this as i thought it was pretty good although i didn't understand a single word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUk34a1an6I
    Member of the AAAS
    Member of CW Green | Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team | Northside Power

Manager of South Australia (WCC)

Winner of AFL Tipping 2006 | Winner of Wimbeldon Prediction 2006

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleg View Post
    Sanz,

All these are on my playlist, as I type. And yeah, I definitely don't care much for the remix versions either.

Have you listened to his duets with Eddie Vadder and Peter Gabriel?

Jeff Buckley's rendition of 'Yeh Jo Halka Halka Saroor' is also very good, incidently.
    (and yeah, THAT 'Sharabi'. It's nice to see people's jaw drop after seeing the videos of some of his live performances; the dude lived what he sang)

I became a fan of Nusrat for the first time at the age of seven, after listening to his contributions to the soundtrack of the iconical PTV drama series, 'Dhuaan' (Smoke).
    I've heard that one, very nice.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    The only music I really enjoy from the subcontient are Gazals. Unfortunately, most of the urdu ones go right over my head, but all suggestions are welcome (I already own all the albums for Jagjit Singh, Fateh Ali Khan, Udhas, etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    The only music I really enjoy from the subcontient are Gazals. Unfortunately, most of the urdu ones go right over my head, but all suggestions are welcome (I already own all the albums for Jagjit Singh, Fateh Ali Khan, Udhas, etc).
    Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan is a Qawwalli singer, I dont think he has ever sung Ghazals (I could be wrong though).

Jagjit Singh is obviously one of the best Ghazal singers with a great voice. If you find the urdu poetry too heavy try some of his lighter stuff, which he has done a lot compared to others. Some of those albums are 'Face to Face', 'Love is Blind', 'Hope', 'Mirage', 'Marasim', 'Unique' , 'Insight', 'milestone' etc. You can also try his ghazals from Indian movies like 'Arth', 'Saath Saath'.

Yea, I mix the two and like both. In terms of heavyness, it's mostly a lack of understanding of 'high' Urdu. When two Pakistani guys speak Urdu, it's just like Hindi. But when they sing it in Gazals, I have no idea what the hell they are saying.

I doubt you have all 125 albums by NFAK, but as Sanz said he was a qawwal by trade. I'm not a big fan of ghazals tbh, but I did grow up listening to Mehdi Hasan, Ghulam Ali, Abida Parveen, Iqbal Bano, Munni Begum and Noor Jehan (not her movie song crap).

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan is a Qawwalli singer, I dont think he has ever sung Ghazals (I could be wrong though).
    Yeah he's done ghazals, plenty of them. In fact some of his more famous "qawwalis" were really ghazals IMO.

Absolutely love it myself.

What you are referring to SS, is Urdu Adab. Not many of the general population can understand every word of it.

Yea, I mix the two and like both. In terms of heavyness, it's mostly a lack of understanding of 'high' Urdu. When two Pakistani guys speak Urdu, it's just like Hindi. But when they sing it in Gazals, I have no idea what the hell they are saying.
    Haha, I hear you man. But even when you talk to pakistanis (in hindi/urdu), often they use words that you dont understand the meaning of. At least that has been my expereience.

That said, I think that is the beauty of Ghazals, apart from the music the sound of the word is so beautiful that even if you dont understand the actual meaning you still want to hear it. Btw what is that ghazal in the link..Cant access youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Btw what is that ghazal in the link..Cant access youtube.
    Jagjit Singh - Yeh Dolat Bhi Lelo

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information