Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Music from Subcontinent

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    For some one like Turb, there is a lot of good Indian pop and rock which people your age might enjoy. I do not have that good idea of it but my younger brothers listen a lot to good Indian pop and will ask them for some solid recommendations a month or so later when they are a bit less occupied.

Some people I have heard good stuff about:

Indian Ocean, Strings.

I can't recommend much personally here because I do not have much idea. However, I do recommend Silk Route's (of the song Dooba Dooba fame) album Boondein strongly. It is an album I have listened to a lot and love it. Also Lucky Ali of course... pick his album Sunoh for a start if you haven't heard him yet.

Himmesh Reshammiya is a big hit these days, like this song :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg8Zh3dsRO0
    Wasim Akram: The most sKiLlFuL bowler in history!

Mcgrath said he is fond of the genius "Akram would power through the crease and do whatever he wanted with the old and new ball"

Allan Border "If I ever get a chance to be reborn as a cricketer, I would want to be Wasim"

Richards, Tendulkar and Waugh described Akram as the most dangerous bowler they had ever faced.

> > > Wasims Magic Delivery. Late Swing. Hatrick. < < <

International 12th Man Shaggy Alfresco's Avatar
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tnPorliRVns

No idea what he's saying, but what a video!

Quote Originally Posted by godofcricket View Post
    Himmesh Reshammiya is a big hit these days, like this song :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg8Zh3dsRO0

I really like Sain Zahoor, a Sufi singer from Pakistan who won a BBC Radio 3 World Music Award two years ago, he had an incredible voice. His performance of "Aokhay Painday" at the awards ceremony was mindblowing. But he has never released an album, which is a real shame. He is illiterate and 70+ though so can't expect too much.
    Last edited by Chubb; 23-10-2007 at 02:47 PM.
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Well what can i say.....how about a nusrat fateh ali khan then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxqA-TPNltA

Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush View Post
    About the meanings... a few of us friends, some times when we meet, we enjoy ghazals appreciating and understanding meanings and the music and it is superb exercise for us...
    I really miss those days..Not many people here I know in US who have my kind of taste and obviously dont have enough time too to goto those gatherings. But I must say, I learnt a lot about music from these kind of gatherings during my stay in Delhi esp my appreciation, Interest and knowledge about Music from Pakistan.

Quote Originally Posted by godofcricket View Post
    Well what can i say.....how about a nusrat fateh ali khan then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxqA-TPNltA
    Sorry, didn't mean to deride the choice, I myself quite like and listen to some of his songs once in a while and 'Jhalak Dikhlaja' and 'Aashiq banaya aapne' is quite popular in my house too.

NFAK is one of my fav. as far as Qawwalis are concerned. I also like Rahat Fatah Ali Khan a lot. If you get a chance try listening to his 'Aankh se Aankh Milao...'

How do you people rate Adnan Sami, as for me I use to be a great fan of his music but as of late I feel he has gone down quite a notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
    I use to be a big bhangra fan a few months ago, still am in fact, but there hasn't been anything new except maybe Imran Khan's Unforgettable album coming out later this month and Swami's new album. And don't really listen to a lot of Hindi filmi music either, however, the title song for Bhool Bhulayia is pretty good. I like Qawwali music quite a bit. And yeah Atif's been on a role recently, like quite a few of his songs.

Other than that nothing much, more into English music these days.

Great song tbh.
    Bhangras at school parties use to be .

Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    How do you people rate Adnan Sami, as for me I use to be a great fan of his music but as of late I feel he has gone down quite a notch.
    He is quite entertaining as a performer, but not something I can listen to over and over again, doesn't belong to that 'evergreen' category, IMO.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    NP07
    FFS!!

I think something like Junoon is perfect for folks like you. I consider them a folk- -rock fusion band (if there is such a thing). I love the way they create a fusion of Eastern and Western Instruments (most notably with Tabla and Guitar).

They are the greatest band from the subcontinent. Two of their best albums IMO are Parvaaz and Azaadi.
    Yes, definitely my two favorites as well. A lot Pakistanis described Parvaaz as a boring Urdu novel, but IMO it was their absolute best effort. Azaadi was the album that put them on top of Pakistani music, and rightly so, that is if you ignore the Zeppelin plagiarism in that album. BTW, have you heard Dewar? If so, what did you think of that effort?

@Jono: If you ever get a chance, listen to the following Junoon albums; Kashmakash, Azaadi, Parvaaz, Dewar; in that order. These albums really bring to light the evolution of their music. Here's a site where you should be able to listen to their (and many other Pakistani artists) albums, though won't be able to download them.

http://www.pakistanimusic.com

Good idea for a thread BTW.
    RIP Craigos

Sorry - I wish I could edit that, but past that period.

I liked Deewar but not as much as the earlier albums, I loved 'Yeh Mazaa Zindagi Ka' and 'Garaj Baras'. Pappu Yaar was very good too although I guess too much Electric Guitar for my taste.

I personally thought overall the vocals were not as strong as their earlier albums.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Well the vocal quality of the album was brought down when Salman Ahmed decided to sing in Ghoom Tana and Hangama . Pappu Yaar was a fun song and I didn't mind the guitar at all, in fact enjoyed it quite a bit. The title song was gun IMO, the lyrics were quite weak but the music kicked ass not to mention the solo.

Banned
    My alltime favourites have to be Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan(love his blend of eastern & western music),Kishore Kumar,Mukesh,Munna Day & Muhammad Rafi.I'm a big bhangra fan & like what Daler Mehndi,Hansraj Hans,Jazzy B,Sukhdev,Harbhajan Maan etc produced at their peaks.I like Kumar Sanu,Jagjit Singh & Pankaj Udhas also.Amongst the singers of today,Himesh Reshammiya has to be fair bit above others but I admit that likes of Atif Aslam,Bombay Vikings,Junoon,Kunal Ganjawala etc are also pretty good.

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information