Cricket Player Manager

Thread: ** Official Bodybuilding Thread **

School Boy/Girl Captain umop 3p!sdn's Avatar

** Official Bodybuilding Thread **

Hey,

I'm quite new to weight training, I'd say I've been doing weights for about 4 weeks. Anyway I was wondering if there were any other trainers here? I'm looking for some tonage mainly, and I also use it as a way to keep fit off season. I think the problem with me is that I am over keen, and I'm tempted to do TOO much. Anyway here is my workout.

20 Pushups (Morning)

20 Situps (Morning)

4KG weights each arm (50 each arm)

6KG weights each arm (25 each arm)

20 Pushups (Night)

20 Situps (Night)

After 4 weeks I have noticed quite a difference in muslce. Anyway does anyoen have any ideas on improving bicept, pectorial and stomach muscle? Does anyone else follow a weight regeim?

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    What are you trying to do? Muscle Size? Strength? Endurance?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Size / Strength

6 Pack
    Toned Pectorial Muscles
    Bicepts.

I'm close to a six pack and my bicepts are quit ebig, for me its a question of getting more definition of the pectorial muscles and six pack.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    In any case, doing it every day can actually hurt you, and not help you. Your muscles need time to build. For size, if you want to do it every day, break it down into a routine like this:

Day 1:
    Upper Body (Biceps, Triceps, Chest, etc)

Day 2:
    Lower Body (Back, Glutes, Calves)

Day 3:
    Rest

Rinse and repeat.

Also you are doing way way too many reps. It's building endurance, but not strength or size (at least not optimally). For example, pick an exercise with the biceps: do 6-10 reps, with 3 sets each. At the end of each set, you should be close to exhaustion (eg, you CANNOT do any more). Then do one for another muscle group, 3 sets x 6-10 reps each. Pause for 60-80 seconds between each set.

And then do not work the same muscle group again the next day. Make sure you are eating right...you cannot gain muscle if you do not take in more calories than you spend (should be obvious, the calories from the muscle need to come from somewhere). Eat a post-work out drink/meal immediately afterward to start the repair process (something with protein/carbs, like a tuna sandwich or a shake). And make sure you eat a lot of small meals instead of a couple big ones while making almost all of those calories healthy ones.

I am not a weightlifter, but I have lost 50 pounds over six months so far using weight lifting and cardio, so I've read up quite a bit on this stuff and have been using it (though for a different purpose) .

Good luck!
    Last edited by silentstriker; 18-10-2007 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I am not a weightlifter, but I have lost 50 pounds over six months so far using weight lifting and cardio, so I've read up quite a bit on this stuff and have been using it (though for a different purpose) .
    Whooah. Fair effort, fella. That's like over three and a half stone.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

cpr
    Heh, could do with shedding some meself. Need to start actively going for it though.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

^ I wouldn't go all guns blazing tbh, just try and make some form of excercise a way of life.

cpr
    Yeah, thats what i've been lacking. Been far to lazy recently.

Cant see the harm in doing 20 sit up and push ups in the morning, in the night as well if i feel fine. Started walking to work when i'm on a day shift (15 min there, 15 back), though if i'm working till close i dont finish till midnight, not walking at that time (plus being one of the few who drive, offer lifts to everyone, so usually stay and have a pint)

Might try going for a run again tomorrow. Ankle didnt give me jip walking today, so might hold out on a 2 mile jog. Thats been my biggest excuse for driving everywhere since the summer.... however the drivings aggregating my left knee.....

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Have changed my weights regime so many times, right now I'm in the 'for fitness only rather than strength' phase which is a euphemism for 'I can't get to the gym as often as I used to due to band commitments'.

Anyway, I do my entire body in one workout instead of spreading it out over three workouts per week like I used to. Three exercises per muscle group, 3 sets per exercise, 10 reps per set. To get all over fitness, I'm not any isolation exercises. All compound exercises.

Chest is usually bench press and inclined flys. I super-set each with military press ups if I'm feeling particularly masochistic.

Shoulders I do using a bar and dumbells.

Triceps are arm dips and bar work.

Biceps; bar work and christ curls and (again only if feeling masochistic) I sometimes super set with chin-ups.

Back; flys and pull ups.

Legs; used to do squats and leg press (super setting with lunges) but prefer going for runs and cycling these days.

Abs; leg lifts and simultaneous crunches with a 5 kg weight.

To the originator of the thread; as silentstriker said, it depends on your goals. If you want size, do heavy weights and low reps (< 8) until failure with isolation exercises. If you want strength, do lighter weights but high reps (8-12) until failure with compound exercises. If you want both, read up on super sets and plyometric exercises. If you want all over body strength, do light weights but on a half or full Swiss-ball. Don't forget to breathe correctly, never lock your elbows/knees in any exercise. Ever.

I found the best way to get my strength going (but it took time to kick-in) was with plyometric exercises. Do your usual work but on the inward breath, do the exercise slowly and on the outward breath, push it out fast. e.g. on the bench, slowly lower the weight towards your chest then push it out faster (remember; don't lock elbows). Best way to build strength I reckon. Combine that with super setting and you'll be super strong. Always do exercises with good form, don't cheat. You'll just hurt yourself. Better to do lighter weights well than heavier weights poorly. And accept that it will take simply ages; you won't put on muscle quickly.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Thread Information