Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most unique place you've visited?

Most unique place you've visited?

For me it is Napoli or Naples.

I've been to Paris, London, Rome, Milan, Florence, but this place doesn't compare. I'm not saying I love it, but this place IMO is the sterotypical Italy, with the mopeds, the dodgydriving (crossing the road is job on its own, I saw countless near accidents last night, and then you have mopeds coming up on the sidewalk as well), the pizza (only worth coming for, aside from the history sites like Pompeii), football passion (get that everywhere except Turin) and you think this place is in some 3rd world country with the bogan like attitudes with rubbish lying all over the streets and many times you are having to step over it as there is a big pile off it lying on the ground, people just throwing rubbish onthe ground (saw that outside of the football stadium - the San Paolo - a woman finished a bottle of water and just threw it onto the ground) or with a rat running round or a dead rat just lying in the middle of the piazza (square) and to which I nearly stepped on (some people were watching me, waiting for me to step on to it until I saw it, I sort of saw the funny side by laughing through gritted teeth) or stray animals, nearly every building or train has graffiti on it.

Yet I guess this what makes this place so different and unique and feels like part of the real Italy (sorry but you don't get that in rome, Colosueem or Vatican City or not) although I'm sort of happy to be going back to Rome tomorrow for a night before I go to Barcelona.

So what is the most unique place you have visited? it can be anywhere, some bogan backwater town/city, different country, or place you love a lot.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

I'm posting this from Las Vegas. Pretty unique place it is.
    "The optimum human population of earth is zero." - Dave Foreman

At the risk of being pedantic but unique is a paradigmatic absolute term. To quote Jed Bartlet:

Quote Originally Posted by West Wing
    "Unique" means "one of a kind." Something can't be very
    unique, nor can it be extremely historic.
    Personally I found Kaikoura in NZ pretty special

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Honestly speaking, Mumbai is pretty unique.

Lisbon... just an insane, badly planned, antique mess of a city, but an incredible one. In about ten minutes you can go from a neat grid of 18th Century buildings and squares (the Baixa) to a warren of steep, narrow lanes with clunking trams and hole-in-the-wall shops, tiny stepped squares and underground Fado bars (the Alfama). Then you can go up to the castle or head to the funicular or the Elevador street lift to get to the equally atmospheric Bairro Alto, where you can get smashed on Port wine. There's graffitti everywhere and it's grimy and all the paint is peeling but it's brilliant, and there isn't anywhere else like it.

Lake Bled in Slovenia is pretty awesome too, but there are a few too many tourists. I have some awesome pictures of it but the files are too large. Ljubljana is pretty special too- the old town is small by "city break" standards, but there's such an air of optimism there, and it's really quirky and friendly.
    Last edited by Chubb; 27-08-2007 at 12:09 PM.
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

cpr
    Heh, Naples is a sight and a half. Spent a couple of hours there on my way to Pompeii/Herculaneum (was holidaying in Sorrento, which is on the other side of the Bay of Naples). Agree with the Pizza. You've not experienced a pizza untill you've had one made in the South of Italy.

Most unique place i've been to has to be Washington D.C. Been to New York, which is amazing, but walking round DC you almost feel in awe at the amount of history stood before you. Your looking at the entire history of a nation, perfectly preserved, and some of the most iconic moments in recent history. Everywhere you turn there is a reminder of the past, of those who died for what we call life today. Does just take your breath away
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Because of how my family prefers to holiday, we usually end up in a place in the middle of nowhere which frankly shows off that country better than any of the cities. Staying for a week in the hills overlooking Verona and another week in a village in Austria where we were told we were the first English people to be seen there in years are my unique experiences.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by barmyarmy View Post
    Personally I found Kaikoura in NZ pretty special
    Kaikoura??? The town's an absolute dump! Sure, you can go whale watching there, and there's some other decent things to do, but you can do all those AND go swimming with dolphins AND be in a much, much more pleasant town if you go to Akaroa instead. Also, as Akaroa is not on Route One, everything is about 25% cheaper!!

I really enjoyed Ulva Island down South (a long way). No one else was there, just me and the missus in the middle of nowhere. Sweet.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Pinball Champion!
    Hogsback, about 100km from me in the Eastern Cape.. It's an incredible place, you leave the white end of town and just drive through mile upon mile of shacks and poverty.. The the road runs out and you just go up and up.. Into pine forests the road winds and gets narrower.. The air gets colder and thinner, and then you get to this tiny village at the top..
    There is snow, log cabins and animals wondering around.. You can just walk into a building, sit by a fireplace, and smoke anything you like for days on end with people you have never met, and leave having felt like you have known them forever.. It is the most isolated place I have ever been too, and I have to laugh at the hoardes of tourists in their little glass cablecars going up Table Mountain.. Hogsback is where Tolkein came up with Middle Earth for his Lord of the Rings novel, and nowhere on earth comes close.. I make no apologies for the amount of photos

Last edited by Langeveldt; 27-08-2007 at 02:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    The last picture looks distinctly Austrian for which the pine trees are to blame i reckon.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Birkenhead
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Kaikoura??? The town's an absolute dump! Sure, you can go whale watching there, and there's some other decent things to do, but you can do all those AND go swimming with dolphins AND be in a much, much more pleasant town if you go to Akaroa instead. Also, as Akaroa is not on Route One, everything is about 25% cheaper!!

I really enjoyed Ulva Island down South (a long way). No one else was there, just me and the missus in the middle of nowhere. Sweet.
    Well, I lived in Blenheim so it was a great place to get away to at weekends; I think it's easy to forget how stunning a place is when you live in NZ all the time... I found Akaroa was trying a bit too hard to 'be' French; definitely liked the Banks peninsula but I actually found Akaroa a bit pretentious. I must have missed Ulva - is that on Stewart? I've been to Invercargill a couple of times. I'll be over again next year so I'll try and check it out.

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Shodoshima.
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by barmyarmy View Post
    Well, I lived in Blenheim so it was a great place to get away to at weekends; I think it's easy to forget how stunning a place is when you live in NZ all the time... I found Akaroa was trying a bit too hard to 'be' French; definitely liked the Banks peninsula but I actually found Akaroa a bit pretentious. I must have missed Ulva - is that on Stewart? I've been to Invercargill a couple of times. I'll be over again next year so I'll try and check it out.
    Akaroa... yes, it does try a bit too hard to be French (last time I was there, there was some middle aged wrinkley walking down the main street like she was in Paris... she even had a poodle... very bizarre) but to my mind it beats the run down streets of Kaikoura. Ulva is an island off the East coast of Stewart Island. As I recall, you can get a local to ferry you over there for the price of the DoC landing charges and a 'tip'.

Since you've been away from Blenheim, did you hear the news about the local entry for the Darwin Awards? Some local teenagers were inhaling LPG from a canister whilst sitting in their car on one of the main streets in Blenheim town centre. One of the guys who'd already had a good snort decided to light up a cigarette.... BOOOOOOOOM

Kiruna, Sweden.

It's up in the arctic circle. It's a town of like 20 000 close to the ice hotel, went dog sleding with the northern lights in the sky. For an Aussie used to the heat, it was completely unique.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information