Page 99 of 275 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 4117
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: The British Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I wholeheartedly disagree. The government being allowed to imprison people for 40 days without trial is horrific, a much more serious violation of human rights than many of us wish to admit, but no one speaks up, because they're not the one being imprisoned. First they came, and all that jazz. Resigning as an MP in protest to attract attention to the issue was anything but ridiculous.
    Agree with this entirely.

His action just made no sense to me.

If he has been in cabinet and resigned (Robin Cook over Iraq) then it is an admirable stand but doing something without any constitutional precedence and of no practical gain whatsoever made him look like a self-publicising prat in my opinion.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Agree with this entirely.

His action just made no sense to me.

If he has been in cabinet and resigned (Robin Cook over Iraq) then it is an admirable stand but doing something without any constitutional precedence and of no practical gain whatsoever made him look like a self-publicising prat in my opinion.
    I don't think so. Resigning in protest never has any "practical" gain, it's a publicity stunt. It may have publicised himself somewhat but if it publicised the issue, even by association, I don't think it can be criticised. What else could he have done to draw attention to something he felt was violating the human rights of the British people? Tell the media? Rant about it in the House of Commons?

Anyway, from his wikipedia page:

Davis is a climate change sceptic, stating in his own words that "the planet appears to have been cooling, not warming, in the last decade."[18][19] This coming in spite of the fact that the last decade was the warmest on record.[20][21][22][23]
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I'd vote labour if Tony Benn was their leader.

EDIT: As long as it's not Insidious Blair Mk II - Milliband the Slightly Elder or Milliband the Younger it'd be mildly acceptible.
    Word on the street is its actually Mr Benn thats 66/1

Could do worse, at least Hazel Blears hasn't been mentioned
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Bring back Jacqui Smith IMO. No one likes her. She'll fit right in.

Mandelson to run a grand coalition in the 'national interest'

Ken Clarke can be chancelor if he wants.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Wasn't that only on the basis of him supporting Brown though?
    As far as I remember, the guy who was hosting BBC Scotland's coverage asked Darling if he fancied the top job after the election, Darling laughed and emphatically stated that the leadership wasn't for him.

Has the Adam Boulton blow up been mentioned in here yet?

Classic.

Ha-ha only just watched it, very rare for Alastair Campbell to appear on the more reasonable and less abrasive side of the argument.

Some interesting stuff on how the election would have turned out under different systems.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/th...-labour-reform

Not sure how creditble the prediction on the AV system is as it must be pretty hard to work out but I think it would be fair to say it would be a bad thing for the Conservatives.

Some interesting stuff on how the election would have turned out under different systems.

New Statesman - How electoral reform would have changed the result

Not sure how creditble the prediction on the AV system is as it must be pretty hard to work out but I think it would be fair to say it would be a bad thing for the Conservatives.
    We'll never know how it would have turned out under preferential voting. I would've found that particularly interesting. Maybe it's because I've grown up with it here as such but I've always really liked it.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Preferential voting is the same as Alternative vote as I understand it, I am just not sure if it would be compulsory to rank all the candidates like I think it is in Australia.

According to that poll the Tories would have won the most seats with that system but a narrower margin, outcome would probably be a Lab-Lib coaliton.

Preferential voting is the same as Alternative vote as I understand it, I am just not sure if it would be compulsory to rank all the candidates like I think it is in Australia.

According to that poll the Tories would have won the most seats with that system but a narrower margin, outcome would probably be a Lab-Lib coaliton.
    Yeah I was under the impression that AV was extremely similar, but I couldn't imagine how whoever collated the data for that article would actually be able to claim they knew which order people would've list their preferences in based on the 2010 election results.. so I figured AV must've been based on party-based preferences - eg. if you voted Lib Dem and they weren't in the top two of your constituency your vote would go to whoever the Liberal Democrats decided their vote would go to in your constituency. You get to pick your own preferences in the Australian lower house (and the upper house if you so choose).
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 10-05-2010 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I wholeheartedly disagree. The government being allowed to imprison people for 40 days without trial is horrific, a much more serious violation of human rights than many of us wish to admit, but no one speaks up, because they're not the one being imprisoned. First they came, and all that jazz. Resigning as an MP in protest to attract attention to the issue was anything but ridiculous.
    Always curious when people are waxing indignant about this whether they actually have any figures as to how many people have been detained, for how long, and what atrocities have been avoided as a result of these powers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Labour-Lib dem coalition looking less likely, Cabinet ministers including Jack Straw and Andy Burnham are apparently against and there are probably others. Can see the dilema and I certainly do not want a Conservative government but this Lab-Lib thing was always problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Always curious when people are waxing indignant about this whether they actually have any figures as to how many people have been detained, for how long, and what atrocities have been avoided as a result of these powers.
    That's not even remotely relevant. If a law was passed giving the government the legal right to rape anyone they wanted to, would you be any less opposed to it if, after a year, they hadn't actually raped anyone? Such powers should never have been granted in the first place.

Besides, it's not unreasonable not to trust the British government with such powers given their track record in Northern Ireland.

Thread Information