Page 3 of 243 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: The British Politics Thread

Pinball Champion!
    I think us saffies have it sorted.. If you aren't a citizen, you are not able to get a job unless the firm can prove that a South African cannot fill that position.. Don't have any complaints with the system which seems a lot fairer than the 'anything goes' open door policy in the UK..

What I don't understand about British Politics, is there is a Prime Minister who has been voted for by about 22,000 people in East Scotland... Brown hasn't won a general election, but he runs the country?!
    Last edited by Langeveldt; 13-08-2007 at 12:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    I think us saffies have it sorted.. If you aren't a citizen, you are not able to get a job unless the firm can prove that a South African cannot fill that position.. Don't have any complaints with the system which seems a lot fairer than the 'anything goes' open door policy in the UK..

What I don't understand about British Politics, is there is a Prime Minister who has been voted for by about 22,000 people in East Scotland... Brown hasn't won a general election, but he runs the country?!
    Blair never won a general election either. The Labour Party won three. You vote for a member of a party, not a person.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

gio
    U19 Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    As for all the Eastern bloc coming in... they're taking jobs OFF the natives because they're cheaper, Polish builders anyone? They come over here because the money is still better than back home.
    Aside from the fact that the comment is verging on racism, Britain needs immigration because, as far as I'm aware, we still have a declining population. Also, as someone else has pointed out, immigrants have a far better attitude towards work than a lot of native Britons.

As far as the housing situation goes, I can't really comment on it as I don't know enough about it. However, I would say that an immigrant/asylum seeker would find it harder to find accomodation outwith the council than a native Brit. Surely it's more important to house the homeless, Brit or otherwise, than move a family who already are in a house to a larger home. Not that I want to comment on your own personal situation, cpr, as I obviously know nothing of the circumstances.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Blair never won a general election either. The Labour Party won three. You vote for a member of a party, not a person.
    The vast majority of people nowadays vote for the personality who heads the party.. I know you are right strictly speaking, but it seems a bit of a farce that the leader can change without anyone voting for him..

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by gio View Post
    Aside from the fact that the comment is verging on racism, Britain needs immigration because, as far as I'm aware, we still have a declining population. Also, as someone else has pointed out, immigrants have a far better attitude towards work than a lot of native Britons.

As far as the housing situation goes, I can't really comment on it as I don't know enough about it. However, I would say that an immigrant/asylum seeker would find it harder to find accomodation outwith the council than a native Brit. Surely it's more important to house the homeless, Brit or otherwise, than move a family who already are in a house to a larger home. Not that I want to comment on your own personal situation, cpr, as I obviously know nothing of the circumstances.
    The fact that they need to build however many million more houses on flood plains, and that the average price of a house will soon be 300,000 pounds, suggests to me that there is a real shortage..

cpr
    Fair enough i understand that those without a home need one more than those cramped into one too small. But the councils have sold of a huge number of properties under the right to buy, then not used that money to reinvest in other houses means that theres not enough for everyone to be housed comfortably.

Also a 1 child foreign family will be given a 4 bed house if free, but the 3 child family will be told to stay in a 2 bed. Now you can see a common sense answer here cant you? You cant? which council is it you work for again?
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Quote Originally Posted by gio View Post
    Who's verging on racism? So all immigrants have at least a decent attitude towards work now do they?

I'd love to know where this myth about needing immigration based on a declining population comes from. A declining population would be a very good thing in Britain (as long the population declined from the right geographical places). An aging population is different, but then we'll be all stuck with working til 70 before long anyway. You might need immigration because of a skill shortage, but you don't need it to ensure this island is even more overpopulated.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Actually there not cheaper, they get payed the same minimum wage as everyone else. Just there more willing to work at that level. We use a Polish builder for a lot of our maintenance work, as he's fair priced and will do the job a damn site quicker than many local builders (and that includes my uncles!). His invoices make it all the worth while though, as although his spoken English is perfect, his spelling isnt, so a 'Window leaking in the porch' becomes 'Window licking in the porshe'

Theres a lot of immigration into this country because A) we have a damn good minimum wage and B) theres alot of work available for those willing. Anyone claiming they cant geta job due to foreigners can just get out of the country IMO. Not looking hard enough (i've not had a permanent job for over a year, spent all my time temping, never gone a week without a position, as theres always jobs for those who are reliable and work hard)

Flipside of this though, although they arnt taking anyones jobs, they are having an effect on housing. Councils will house 'homeless' immigrants as a priority, which means brits needing the houses lose out. (girlfriends mums in that position, She has 3 children, in a 2 bedroom house, been told its a 5 year wait for a bigger house if she's lucky, as she's not a priority case). Couple this with the whole 'Right to Buy' means that the number of council properties has rapidly dimished, whilst the demand has grown. (i do agree with Right to buy, just think the council should put that money straight back into building/purchasing more houses to replace)
    Yeah, ended up breaking a few banks to buy a house because we couldn't get a council house last year; missus was pregnant with twins and we already had a three-year old, lived two flights of stairs up (and above absolute scumbags to put the icing on the cake) but they weren't interested because I had a job paying a long way below the national average. ****ers.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Basically the massive rise in share-prices and the general rise in our economy, can be put mainly down to immigration imo.

If they are willing to work, and not scrounge off the state, then I can't see any problem with having them in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Basically the massive rise in share-prices and the general rise in our economy, can be put mainly down to immigration imo.

If they are willing to work, and not scrounge off the state, then I can't see any problem with having them in the country.

The FTSE 100 at the end of 1999/start 2000 was nearly at 7000, it crashed down to over half that in early 2003. So does that mean there were no immigrants in 2003 then and we were overrun in 1999/2000? I would say the general rise in our economy is because it's stable because most of the countries, markets that influence us are also stable and all the foundations for a good, stable economy were built from the late 1970s onwards.

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    What does everyone think of Brown not calling an election.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

cpr

tbh

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    What does everyone think of Brown not calling an election.
    Hopefully it'll assure Cameronb a majority in 09 tbh, probably would have been hung this time

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Tories doing their usual infighting crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Yeah, Brown's arse went, basically, didn't it? Nowhere near as skilled at the dispatch box as Tone was either, if his early form is any guide.

Meanwhile the Lib Dems have quietly offed Sir Ming for being too old (allegedly, obv, given he actually resigned) and two suits full of bugger all are lining up to take over. Not sure even their families could pick 'em out of line ups tbh.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Page 3 of 243 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread Information