Page 193 of 243 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195203 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,895 of 3641
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: The British Politics Thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Well, perhaps I should be more clear. I'm not a fan of public service media obligations on the whole, but have no objections in the broadcasting of views that are self-evidently false either. Though appreciably, the views in this instance are somewhat hard to stomach. The public media service obligations, however, whatever you think of them, most certainly do exist.
    I think they sometimes present a more skewed image than they would if they only focused on one side of the debate. Like if they want to do a piece on global warming, they have to find the one quack out of a thousand that thinks it's all a conspiracy to provide "balance", and it creates the false sense of a scientific debate where there isn't one.

The format's just applied too widely. It's good for most policy debates but some things aren't a matter of opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I think they sometimes present a more skewed image than they would if they only focused on one side of the debate. Like if they want to do a piece on global warming, they have to find the one quack out of a thousand that thinks it's all a conspiracy to provide "balance", and it creates the false sense of a scientific debate where there isn't one.

The format's just applied too widely. It's good for most policy debates but some things aren't a matter of opinion.
    Possibly, but there does usually seem to be some common sense applied in most cases and on certain issues. For instance, it is in fact quite rare to see a genuine climate change denier getting any attention on serious televised debates etc... So I'm not sure if the net is really cast too widely.

In the immediate context, it's understandable that someone from the Islamic community was asked to come on and give their views and so on. It's just that the choice of individual in this instance was perhaps unwise. But as Pothas has pointed out, it's likely due to the fact that he had links to the perpetrator, which makes it more understandable.

Wow that Anjem Choudary is a dead set ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Yeah; biased towards fairness. And I don't mean that in a good way.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

I am always mystified when the press describes someone as being a radical Islamist as there is no such thing

You are either of the Islamic faith or you are not and anybody that claims an innocent life is not

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    According to your definition of Islam, not theirs. I know some Catholics and Protestants don't consider the other Christians, and many don't consider Mormons Christians. But if they are sincere about their beliefs, you have to take them at their word. There is no supreme authority who can decide otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    According to your definition of Islam, not theirs. I know some Catholics and Protestants don't consider the other Christians, and many don't consider Mormons Christians. But if they are sincere about their beliefs, you have to take them at their word. There is no supreme authority who can decide otherwise.
    Nothing to do with Islam? Spectator Blogs

Interesting article that elaborates on that point very well.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Yea, I saw a weird argument somewhere that said the Boston bomber wasn't an American because he didn't believe in "American ideals'. I don't even know what that means. Taken to its conclusion, no one who has ever committed a crime is American, cause if you're an American you believe in the rule of law. Ergo, we don't need to give any bill of rights protections to criminals since they are not American by definition.

This could be a very useful way to look at the world.

Haha yeah the whole No true Scotsman thing. My favourite is the media talking about "so-called fans" every time the fans of some club use an especially tasteless chant.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Some of the reactions to this have been atrocious, people sharing links to the EDL and what not. It's ****ing frightening.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Some of the reactions to this have been atrocious, people sharing links to the EDL and what not. It's ****ing frightening.
    Hey, I consider it a service, just unfriend anyone on fb that starts spouting ****. Less ****s in my vicinity. Bloke I poisoned in school (long story, don't ask), is a fascist, or so it seems by his posting. Good to get rid, and it makes me feel better about the poisoning.

Mind you, maybe the poison warped his mind, oh no he was always a ****...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Hey, I consider it a service, just unfriend anyone on fb that starts spouting ****. Less ****s in my vicinity. Bloke I poisoned in school (long story, don't ask), is a fascist, or so it seems by his posting. Good to get rid, and it makes me feel better about the poisoning.

Mind you, maybe the poison warped his mind, oh no he was always a ****...
    Yeah true that. Certainly shows the true colours of many.

People don't seem to understand the irony of saying that extremist groups like EDL/BNP etc are the only answer.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    I really do think that the government should start taking these extremist preachers like Chaudrey seriously. These are the people that are targeting and brainwashing young people (especially recent converts like the Woolwich Murderers) and will not stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    The guy that massacred 77 Norwegians professes to be "100% Christian" and is the leader of a militant Christian organization (mind you, he is its only member)

Why isn't he described as a "radical Christian?'

Because anyone with half a brain knows that he is nothing more than a psychotic criminal whose actions have about as much relevance to Christian beliefs as the Duckworth Lewis system and that is in spite of the fact that more people have been killed in the name of Christianity than virtually any other belief system

The ****s in the UK fit into the same category IMO

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    as a rule of thumb, if you kill people for God, you're a religious extremist.
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Thread Information