Page 182 of 253 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192232 ... LastLast
Results 2,716 to 2,730 of 3786
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: The British Politics Thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaggas View Post
    Social compact definitely broken in US. Problem is in part that old people vote, young people not quite so much
    That's exactly why no-one has the balls to do anything about it. No-one's going to take freebies away from people who actually vote.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Conservatives 55.56% (Economy, Education, Environment, Europe, & Welfare)
    Lib Dems 11.11%
    Green Party 11.11%
    Labour 11.11%
    UKIP 11.11%

Interestingly, I disagreed with all the policy choices when it came to immigration. They all seemed relatively insular and counter productive. I just picked what was the least worst one in my opinion.
    They probably seem insular because we're not in a position to restrict immigration from Eastern Europe.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    The good Milliband is gone. Shame imo. Always liked him. Cut a much more impressive figure than Ed.

cpr
    Always felt Dave was in the Tony Blair school of being too smug and happy in himself. Feel they picked the right Milliband now.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Came across as very able but thought he was inclined to the worst excesses of New Labour management speak.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    All Millibands are ****s, fact
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Hate the coffin dodgers too. Had a few good arguments with them when Osbourne froze the over 65s personal allowance last year. Kicking off they were being taxed more, when in fact they aren't, and get an extra 3,000 s year tax free just for being old, which they only start to lose when they earn 26k a year. Don't think they come back down to our level until their income hits 30k

Considering few of them have mortgages anymore, even fewer have care responsibilities for children, who needs the extra 600 a year in their pockets, them or the likes of GF? Possibly the one god thing Gideon has done is freeze them until they are in line with those who actually need every penny they can get.

Next stop is apply the same taper principle to winter fuel allowance
    Yeah definitely on board with the fogie-hate. Retirement age is far too low- given the state's absurdly huge unfunded pension liabilities we'll all be working until at least 70 and I don't see why they shouldn't too.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    All Millibands are ****s, fact
    Still think Andy Burnham would be the best Labour leader, though still wouldn't vote for them

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    I'd prefer him to Ed, and he's infinitely better than Ed Balls. Cannot stand that man.

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Yeah definitely on board with the fogie-hate. Retirement age is far too low- given the state's absurdly huge unfunded pension liabilities we'll all be working until at least 70 and I don't see why they shouldn't too.
    All fine in theory, but very hard on people in physically demanding jobs. And not every 60-something is going to be able to find a more easy-going alternative. Part-time working at that time of life is the answer perhaps, I suspect that not all over-60s really need to work a 40-hour week.

And yes David Miliband is quitting politics to join International Rescue ... almost too many jokes there.

Yeah completely agree with the above on part-time work. It seems ridiculous to me that people go from working 40-hours a week to nothing at all. Pensions really is one of the biggest issues when it comes to government spending and yet they spend their time fiddling about with small matters such as the bedroom 'tax.'

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Yeah completely agree with the above on part-time work. It seems ridiculous to me that people go from working 40-hours a week to nothing at all. Pensions really is one of the biggest issues when it comes to government spending and yet they spend their time fiddling about with small matters such as the bedroom 'tax.'
    It's mostly because they don't count it in the national debt. That's why it's often cited as 90% of GDP. When you include unfunded pension liabilities, it goes up to about 900%. So cutting pension liabilities doesn't provide the political capital that you get from cutting the services that make up 'the deficit' as a headline figure.

You get some even funkier results too- they just acquired 37bn of pension liabilities from Royal Mail, and "government borrowing" was reduced by 28bn as a result. It's not a good deal for the public at all- they're pushing it through because the assets are counted against the deficit but the liabilities aren't. This isn't unique to the Tories, of course, Labour were just as bad for screwing over the public to make themselves look better on paper. It's just sort of what you get when voters want quantitative data without being willing to put in the effort to properly understand what it means.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    All fine in theory, but very hard on people in physically demanding jobs. And not every 60-something is going to be able to find a more easy-going alternative. Part-time working at that time of life is the answer perhaps, I suspect that not all over-60s really need to work a 40-hour week.
    Yeah, it is really very strange. Another thing that will need to change is the system of pay based on seniority. A worker's productivity doesn't generally peak the day before their retirement, so why does their pay? But there's a stigma to demotion, so in a lot of cases they're just overpaid for a few years then made redundant despite still having a lot to offer.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    There are other benefits to doing it though besides pure report card productivity - everything from the historical knowledge of the organization that the person possess which could be useful when new problems arise, to reward the for remaining faithful to the organization and hence encouraging others to do the same - low employee turnover generally benefits an organization. The cost of constantly training new people or the impact on morale and the bottom line of having no continuity is surely higher than the pay difference in seniority. Huge increases in salary are usually due to a promotion. For people in the same position, the difference in salary is surely significant (to encourage said behavior and to reward built up knowledge/experience), but not overwhelming.

Many many private organizations have payouts that gives a bonus based on productivity, and a separate bonus based on seniority. A person can be eligible for one or both.

This of course varies from job description to job description.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 27-03-2013 at 02:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaggas View Post
    Social compact definitely broken in US. Problem is in part that old people vote, young people not quite so much
    Well, even so, we have many fewer benefits for older people and welfare type programs than the UK and other first world countries.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    They probably seem insular because we're not in a position to restrict immigration from Eastern Europe.
    Fair enough. I find it interesting that I'd consider myself a 'far left' liberal in the US - yet it seems (from the quiz) that I'd be right smack dab in the middle of the conservative party in the UK....

Thread Information