Page 180 of 242 FirstFirst ... 80130170178179180181182190230 ... LastLast
Results 2,686 to 2,700 of 3623
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: The British Politics Thread

That does nothing to explain why pretty much every reform/initiative this government has tried has been woefully implemented.

Oh, God, I'm bored. Might as well be listening to Genesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    That does nothing to explain why pretty much every reform/initiative this government has tried has been woefully implemented.
    Indeed, as I thought Scaly not able to give any justification for the word competent. Just bashing Labour, who's growth through much of their time in power was impressive.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    People seem to have quite short memories when it concerns how phenomenally ****e Labour are. As I keep saying with UK politics it would be nice if ideologies actually came into the equation. The Tories are competent. Labour and Lib Dems are absolutely clueless. Every year Labour in power it takes two or three years to undo the damage. Every now and then they'll come up with an idea or politician worthy of merit, but generally they're just abject.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Who'd have thought Scaly a Tory, eh?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

I'm much more Labour/Liberal in principle actually.

Only trouble is people are lazy and rubbish, so you need over the top incentives/rewards for society to work. I dated someone a few days ago who kept telling me about their impulse buys, how they'd gone for groceries and came back with a car. Or how they'd bought 2 fur coats for 4 grand after taking something back. There's me in a family of four that has lived in a ****ty 2 bedroom house for most of our lives. Had about 2-3 proper holidays in that time and a load of camping trips. My dad worked every day he could in construction and ended up with farmer's lung, which he'll never get compensation for and will help finish him off some day.

So no I don't really think society is even remotely fair. And I'm most definitely not conservative in terms of ideology. But I really don't give a **** about all this fluff surrounding oh look they changed their mind on x. Or they tried to do y and they aborted it. That is just feeding into Labour tripe. Labour are like the ****wit in class who just stand back and sneer at the smart kids for getting stuff right, then long for the day when the smart kids don't know something or they get it wrong. They're an absolute joke. The results and history of politics are quite clear - the end result is what matters. The situation is probably a little bit different up in Scotland where the competent politicians are attracted to different parties.
    Last edited by Scaly piscine; 07-02-2013 at 04:32 AM.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    The situation is probably a little bit different up in Scotland where the competent politicians are attracted to different parties.
    Bahahahahahahahaha.

SNP aside, all competent politicians still go to Westminster. And if you want elected to Westminster in Scotland, you stick a red rosette on, unless you live in the far north.

And if you're a good politician and a Tory? Get your arse down to England, there's absolutely no chance anyone's voting for you.
    Last edited by Furball; 07-02-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Hmm, do you think so? It definitely does in this case. Very interesting blog post on the Tory party's struggle with its own history here. It's interesting that the notorious "if you want a n****r for a neighbour, vote Labour" electoral slogan is from the same year as the Civil Rights Act, but whereas the Democrats' mixed reaction is seen of a quirk of history, the Tory reputation is still suffering.
    Yeah, that's an example. I just found it interesting, as I was talking to people on another forum about how the British attitude towards the EU is *still* coloured by WW2, and the resulting instinctive suspicion of German power - a reaction that appears to have disappeared completely on the continent.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Not sure everyone in Greece would agree with that right now.

Think there are still vast issues with historical memory across Europe anyway.

Also don't even think that is one of the principle reasons for people not liking the EU although it has certainly creeped into the debate in the last couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Yeah, that's an example. I just found it interesting, as I was talking to people on another forum about how the British attitude towards the EU is *still* coloured by WW2, and the resulting instinctive suspicion of German power - a reaction that appears to have disappeared completely on the continent.
    Wouldn't be so sure of that tbh. It might have lessened of disappeared in certain states, but I'm aware that there's plenty of sentiment of this sort in places like Greece.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    It's not coloured by World War II, it's coloured by the 300 years of history before the Second World War. Britain traditionally had very little to do with the continent other than to occasionally join forces to slap down whoever was getting too uppity and big for their boots (usually the French), thus keeping Britain as the dominant power and maintaining her hold on Empire.

Also, there hasn't been a major battle fought in Britain since Culloden in 1745. We haven't suffered from the after effects of bloody wars the way they have on the continent for generations. The EU has been vital in helping keep the peace on a continent constantly at war with itself for the 500 years prior to World War II.

We're not suspicious of the Germans per se, we're suspicious of ANYONE who looks like they're getting too powerful, whereas the continent has tended to be dominated by empires, be they French, Austrian, Roman, Russian, German or Spanish.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Wouldn't be so sure of that tbh. It might have lessened of disappeared in certain states, but I'm aware that there's plenty of sentiment of this sort in places like Greece.
    I believe the Dutch detest the Germans more than most - sledger, who has conquered womankind from most European states, clearly aware of this

I Don't think there is as much of anti German feeling in Europe as posters here are saying. Greece is completely different issue, their economy is completely ****ed, so unrest, political turmoil, blame game etc will take place. Even historically there isn't much Greek hatred of Germany. It has mostly to do with the sovereign debt in current crisis. I think on a whole UK should've tried for more continental coordination from the beginning instead of that sycophantic worship of trans-Atlantic relation with US. For whatever reason some brits seems very suspicious of continent which is pretty stupid IMO. I can understand some Right Wing crazies thinking that, but seriously ?

As far as Dutch hating germans, I am pretty sure it is not the case considering both of their policies. And Belneux, France, Germany are actually the major proponents of the euro policies in general.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Brits don't generally learn a second language so that's a big cultural barrier that the rest of Europe doesn't really have. Technology is breaking down the geographical barrier with the US much faster than the language barrier with Europe.

We don't have any sizable pro-EU sentiment, people are mostly either staunchly anti-EU or fairly indifferent. There's a very transactional view of Europe, on both sides the debate is framed in terms of 'what we put in vs. what we put out'. Most of the rest of Europe has some kind of sense of shared identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Brits don't generally learn a second language so that's a big cultural barrier that the rest of Europe doesn't really have. Technology is breaking down the geographical barrier with the US much faster than the language barrier with Europe.

We don't have any sizable pro-EU sentiment, people are mostly either staunchly anti-EU or fairly indifferent. There's a very transactional view of Europe, on both sides the debate is framed in terms of 'what we put in vs. what we put out'. Most of the rest of Europe has some kind of sense of shared identity.
    Yeah, language is the key issue. The shared identity thing I never understand, because britain is as much a part of europe as any. Eg. Britain has more in common with France than Poland has with France. But for whatever reason most in the country simply don't think that way and see Europe as some big bad continental conspiracy of sorts.

I don't know how unique to the UK it is, but there's also the outlandish anti-EU bull**** spouted on a daily basis by the media, which is both a cause and symptom of anti-Europe feeling.

Here's an example from the last few days (there always, always is) via tabloidwatch:

--------------------------------------------

Yesterday, the Daily Express 'revealed' what it claimed was the latest 'EU plot':

Outcry over EU plot to seize control of our seabed

BRUSSELS was yesterday accused of a "land grab" after proposing to take control of Britain's seabed.
    John Ingham's story claimed:

Brussels was...proposing to take control of Britain’s seabed.

The European Commission in the UK issued a statement in response which said:

In reality, the EU is no more seizing power over the UK’s seabed than measures to protect birds, would mean seizure of UK airspace...

It is not about the transfer of powers to the EU, or seizure of sovereignty over the UK’s seabed, or the rights to minerals, such as oil or gas. Nor is it about controlling the fish above the seabed.

The Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs also responded - mentioning the story in their 'Myth Busters' section:

The Myth: The Daily Express has reported that one of the amendments being debated by the European Parliament on the reform of the Common Fisheries Policy would allow the EU to seize control of Britain’s seabed. The piece claimed that critics have said that if passed the amendment could lead to the EU claiming rights to minerals such as oil and gas.

The Truth: This is not true. Even if agreed by the European Parliament, this amendment would not change the sovereignty of our sea bed or give the EU new powers. The proposed amendment would have no practical effect, nor would it have any bearing on mineral extraction. The reform of the Common Fisheries Policy is intended to stop overfishing, boost fish stocks and improve the health of our seas. The UK does not support this amendment as it will not help to tackle the fundamental failings of the Common Fisheries Policy.
    And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

Thread Information