Page 174 of 252 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224 ... LastLast
Results 2,596 to 2,610 of 3779
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: The British Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Because his point is not relevant to the post it was trying to answer, which was that emotive appeals to the fact that because of _____ people died cut both ways. You can't apply the logic to one situation and not the other.

Want to make the argument that invading Iraq was counterproductive? Sure, go ahead, it's easy enough. But you can't make the argument that "well, people died because of the Iraq war therefore the worst thing ever" and then not apply it the other way.

It doesn't work. And it turns people off the debate. Who the hell wants to argue with someone who is trying to prove that those who disagree with them condone death in war or genocide?
    what?! did you actually read the post i responded to?

Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    Ok then, if we follow that logic what would you say to the families of hundreds of thousands of murdered Kurds? 'Sorry, but we can't get involved'?
    i responded directly to this...because it is so obviously untrue...and i responded with some sarcasm...but where exactly is the straw man here?! if you or anyone else is naive enough to believe that (saving the kurds from genocide) was the intent of the iraq invasion, i don't see any point in continuing the discussion...
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

I think you've made the point for him.

Key words "if we follow that logic"
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    I think you've made the point for him.

Key words "if we follow that logic"
    but that was clearly not the reason why the invasion happened...so you can't follow that logic with his argument which is what i was trying to assert...why is that so difficult to understand?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    So, Pakistan and India both have nuclear weapons. Kashmir is in dispute.

It's worth a thought.

Meanwhile, more importantly, what a great gig for Jay QC. You'd back him to have a zillion briefs rolling in after this is done.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

His point is that the obvious fallacy of that argument indicates that the logic is faulty.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    but that was clearly not the reason why the invasion happened...so you can't follow that logic with his argument which is what i was trying to assert...why is that so difficult to understand?
    The argument that "if you said that to someone in a particular traumatic situation, they would become very angry, therefore it isn't true" is logically incoherent and totally worthless. CDM just illustrated that point by countering your variation of it with an equal-and-opposite variation of his own.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    The argument that "if you said that to someone in a particular traumatic situation, they would become very angry, therefore it isn't true" is logically incoherent and totally worthless. CDM just illustrated that point by countering your variation of it with an equal-and-opposite variation of his own.
    that statement above is meaningless, how you compared what i said to that, i have no idea...also i doubt cdm was "illustrating" anything of the sort...the cooked-up intelligence and the iraq invasion were both morally (i mean the (non-religious) morals of any half-decent non-war mongering human being) reprehensible no matter how much of an murderous asshole saddam was...that was all i wanted to convey, it was short and direct and there is no logical incoherence there for me...it doesn't really matter to me whether you agree with the opinion or the way i presented it and so i am signing out of this conversation...

You still aren't getting it. It's little to do with the Iraq war and everything to do with blatant logical fallacy.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    The same people will be complaining when the Iraqis decide that they are going to follow Saudi and enforce a barbaric version of Sharia, where women are oppressed and killed. And then when the new government decides to toe out of line for even a second against the US's wishes like Saddam did, the whole process will start all over again. Great progress for the Iraqis.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Hang on what
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    what is utterly laughable is the bolded part...say that to any remaining family for the hundreds of thousands of innocents who perished as collateral damage in "operation iraqi freedom"
    The argument that "if you said that to someone in a particular traumatic situation, they would become very angry, therefore it isn't true" is logically incoherent and totally worthless.
    that statement above is meaningless, how you compared what i said to that, i have no idea

You've just made me realise how to troll myself.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 11-05-2012 at 01:40 PM.

You've just made me realise how to troll myself.
    man, did you see what that post was in response to? cdm said you can't stand by and watch innocents die or something to that effect...let's for a second pretend that it was actually the reason for the war and so what is the ideal thing to do there? invade and kill a whole bunch of innocents yourselves! that is just pure sanctimonious bull****...i did not at any point defend saddam or his human rights record, but if you judge the sick **** on his record, you should judge the invading ****ers on their record as well...and it's quite comparable...it's not about the iraq war according to spark but all about some logical fallacy in my argument...well i was trying to answer straight to cdm's post where he seemed to be defending the invasion and i wasn't being subtle or playing with words...i am done with this...i keep having to repeat myself and it is getting quite boring, hopefully you won't spend any more time "trolling yourselves"...

He wasn't defending the invasion for the last time in that post. He was saying that it was a logically flawed argument, because if you apply to the other situation, you get two completely contradictory answers.

The Thick of it becomes real life.

Excruciating, but I would.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    The Thick of it becomes real life.

Excruciating, but I would.
    Couldn't watch beyond Ed Balls. What a ****ing **** he is. Has a glint of Blair's evil in him but without a shred of the competence.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Thread Information