Page 136 of 217 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146186 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,040 of 3248
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The British Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    So you would definitely not have gone to university if given the choice again? Was thinking about this the other day, and whether or not the higher fees would have deterred me. Safe to say that I would have still gone. Socially University is far and away the best thing I have ever done, have met pretty much all my best friends (a certain poster on this forum besides.)
    Haha, I will echo these sentiments word for word.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I was under the impression it affected all those who were not currently in their final year?
    Nope, my year is the last year of having tuition fees capped at 3230 (or whatever it is), so it shows that students that protest genuinely care about it, for reasons other than not wanting to pay more fees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Yeah, has caused a few of the people I know who applied for deferred entry to change their minds lol.

Must say, I'm quite glad that I went when I did, particularly as I'm now considering doing a Masters' as well. Which iirc is not affected by this hike in fees.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Nope, my year is the last year of having tuition fees capped at 3230 (or whatever it is), so it shows that students that protest genuinely care about it, for reasons other than not wanting to pay more fees.
    because students would never protest about something they didn't actually care about
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

I remember being amused at how many students protested about the Fox Hunting ban.

Biggest protest I've seen recently was a bunch of students campaigning against the 3am lockout.

Only protest I've seen that was sponsored by Red Bull.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I had my Undergrad and post grad paid for by the taxpayer and I am grateful and my life has turned out well. I enjoyed University but I can tell you 'hand on heart' that if I was building debt or my parents had to bust their backsides to send me there then I would have taken it far more seriously.

I was similar in that mine was capped to about 1,000 per annum, though with my sister at uni at the same time we got a fair amount of help for the first year or two. Likewise, I'd would've hoped i'd have pulled my finger out more if the financial whack was more (a nice dollop of inheritance saw me through), but the reality is i probably wouldn't have, and would've stayed in employment, as i didnt mind a grand for the social life. In a way my degree has shaped my post uni career, and may well come in handy down the line (alas, narrowly missed out on that promotion this year - really annoyed as my mark was good enough last year, but raised bar n all that.... Let myself down not with skills but with lack of confidence!), but the reality is i could do it without a degree, and probably would've done it earlier.

Again though, made far more lasting friends from workplace rather than uni.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    CDM seemed to be justifying it...
    Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    Don't know what to make of yesterday, I don't condone mindless vandalism and carnage but tripling tuition fees is just terrible.

I think my taxes are too high, how about me and my other taxpaying friends go and smash up the cars of local residents?

Load of bollocks, I'd double the tuition fees again now in response to this nonsense.
    How would you like your tax tripling?
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    You throw in a 'but'. I don't condone X but.... always comes off as sympathetic and supportive IMO. See, "I'm not racist, but..."

Quote Originally Posted by cdm
    How would you like your tax tripling?
    I don't have a choice about paying tax - it gets taken from me automatically. I don't think it is a good analogy. People seem to think all education should be free, why?

People seem to think all education should be free, why?
    Yeah, I always wonder this as well. I think education up to a certain point ought to be free (and it is), but the remit for this cannot be inexhaustible. People moan about how they have a right to an education, I have a right to freedom of movment, this doesn't mean I can stroll down to the local Audi dealership and drive off with one of their vehicles free of charge.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    An attitude of entitlement inevitably develops within a couple of generations regarding anything the government provides.

You should see some of the rhetoric that was thrown around in the 70s- "right to work" was quite a common phrase, used to justify the government continuing to pay miners to do stuff nobody wanted done. "Right to education" always grinds my gears- as I've said in here before, it can't be a "right" if it costs billions of pounds to people you'll never even meet.

That said, states with heavily subsidised education are generally very successful economically. It's pretty well-documented that the result lately has just been people leaving school with mediocre grades to do prank-degrees that have no use whatsoever in the job market, but I'm not sure the solution is huge cuts to state funding. The continued line from the Tories is that the deficit won't cut itself but when they're trimming taxes at the same time it's hard to believe them. The cuts are certainly, to some extent, ideological.

So I'm kinda on the fence. But this just looks seriously bad...
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

I don't have a choice about paying tax - it gets taken from me automatically. I don't think it is a good analogy. People seem to think all education should be free, why?
    It's not about making it free, it's about avoiding economic elitism which gives unfair advantages/disadvantages to people depending on their family's wealth. Of course there is a right to education because, like I've said, the alternative ends up in elitism. The 'intellectuals' would all be given their chance on merit of their wealth.

Back down the mine urchins!

Oh wait, there aren't any!
    Last edited by cover drive man; 15-11-2010 at 10:24 AM.

You throw in a 'but'. I don't condone X but.... always comes off as sympathetic and supportive IMO. See, "I'm not racist, but..."
    The point I was trying to put across was that it's a point worth speaking against, but throwing fire extinguishers off buildings is just idiotic.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    it can't be a "right" if it costs billions of pounds to people you'll never even meet.
    So you don't think primary education and healthcare should be universal rights?

Thread Information