Page 124 of 275 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174224 ... LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 4115
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: The British Politics Thread

  1. #1846
    cpr
    cpr is offline
    International Coach cpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    10,094
    No more incompetant than private business tbh. Had just as many if not more issues with private couriers than Royal Mail, and current trains are fantastic and value for money.... My dealings with SLC (ie, once i've had my loan, and the subsiquent years paying it back) i've found them to be pretty spot on, have to speak to them a fair bit with this job and they seem on the ball and know what they are on about....Having said that, student finance, bunch of useless ****s, pity any student trying to get their fees sorted now TBH.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

  2. #1847
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    I forgot how effective and non-incompetent nationalised services like the Student Loans Company, Royal Mail and British Rail were.
    Thought british rail didn't exist anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  3. #1848
    International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    7,146
    The first one for me is an increase on corporation tax (which, as I've mentioned before, was lowered at the budget)
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

    -Tolstoy

  4. #1849
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,895
    But that prices businesses out of the country and in turn damages the economy. Its not as black and white as taxing the rich.


  5. #1850
    International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    7,146
    I know, but I'm not saying the rich should pay everything back, in fact that standpoint quite annoys me. I just think relying on the private sector is risky.

  6. #1851
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,210
    Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    I know, but I'm not saying the rich should pay everything back, in fact that standpoint quite annoys me. I just think relying on the private sector is risky.
    Its nonsensical really but the more so if any reward for the risk taken ends up at HMRC

  7. #1852
    International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    7,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    I forgot how effective and non-incompetent nationalised services like the Student Loans Company, Royal Mail and British Rail were.
    What about education services like connexions? (who, I must say from experience, do a very good job) Or the winter fuel payments for elderly people? Free swimming for potential paraolympic swimmers?

  8. #1853
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    No more incompetant than private business tbh. Had just as many if not more issues with private couriers than Royal Mail, and current trains are fantastic and value for money.... My dealings with SLC (ie, once i've had my loan, and the subsiquent years paying it back) i've found them to be pretty spot on, have to speak to them a fair bit with this job and they seem on the ball and know what they are on about....Having said that, student finance, bunch of useless ****s, pity any student trying to get their fees sorted now TBH.
    SLC are complete and utter ****s. The way they've pestered and intimidated my sister is an absolute disgrace. They harass people for money who aren't remotely fit to work and are registered as such. The sort of vulnerable people who could end up committing self harm or worse as a direct result of these ****ing scum phoning them up.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:


    MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

  9. #1854
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,693
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    But that prices businesses out of the country and in turn damages the economy. Its not as black and white as taxing the rich.
    I'm completely against high corporation tax for the reason fred succinctly summed up. But when you call an emergency budget on the grounds that the deficit needs to be cut urgently, surely you can't then use that budget to reduce taxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  10. #1855
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    still scratching around in the same old hole
    Posts
    15,173
    Could write an essay on this but I will not.

    I didnt think there were any socialists left in the world outside of Scotland and lunatic asylums.

    If you want something run badly with the customer secondary and interference from those where the business agenda is coincidental to their own aims then let the Governement run it.

    If you want low productivity and inefficiency then get a stong union.

    If you want both then you are ****ed

    Socialism is dead and unless the aim is to make everyone less well off then has no place in a modern political discussion.

    Capitalism and the 'market' are not perfect. Especially as a strong rule of law is required for success (some would argue that capitalism comes first) but when factors are close to what is needed then the 'market' does a far better job of wealth creation and making people better off than any government run institution could ever do.
    Last edited by Goughy; 26-09-2010 at 07:24 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

    West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

    Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

    Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

  11. #1856
    International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    7,146
    I'm not a socialist. I support social democracy. No one party states or "Dictatorships of the prolatariate" Just a more stable, less-exploiting, free market.

  12. #1857
    International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    7,146
    I don't for a minute want to get rid of the free market. I'd be a hypocrite if I did.

  13. #1858
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    still scratching around in the same old hole
    Posts
    15,173
    Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    I'm not a socialist. I support social democracy. No one party states or "Dictatorships of the prolatariate" Just a more stable, less-exploiting, free market.
    The free market is like a virgins maidenhood. Once you **** with it then its lost.

    So many people say that a free market is great but if only we could do something about this and about this and maybe about this. Once the interference starts then the wealth creation stalls. The greater the meddling and the more politicised the involvement then the more the system fails.
    Last edited by Goughy; 26-09-2010 at 07:44 AM.

  14. #1859
    cpr
    cpr is offline
    International Coach cpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    10,094
    Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    What about education services like connexions? (who, I must say from experience, do a very good job) Or the winter fuel payments for elderly people? Free swimming for potential paraolympic swimmers?

    Don't start me on Winter Fuel payments, most ****ed system out there. There are pensioners out there who earn more in pensions than I do in wage, quite a fair few who earn double and more than me, who still get this money because of their age. There is no income looked at when paying out. When it comes to Tax, pensioners get extra tax free, but that starts to disappear when their income goes above £22,800, when they hit £29,000 a year they get the normal rates.... but still get winter fuel payments. Applying the same tolerances would save the country millions without hitting any hard off pensioners

  15. #1860
    cpr
    cpr is offline
    International Coach cpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    10,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    SLC are complete and utter ****s. The way they've pestered and intimidated my sister is an absolute disgrace. They harass people for money who aren't remotely fit to work and are registered as such. The sort of vulnerable people who could end up committing self harm or worse as a direct result of these ****ing scum phoning them up.

    What have they actually done, out of interest? as far as I was aware they'd only look at taking money when income goes above £15,000. I've never heard of them calling people for money before (even myself when I was hiding from about £4k worth of payments!), but then its not a field I work in so dont know the ins and outs of their jobs.
    Last edited by cpr; 26-09-2010 at 10:19 AM.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. *Official* Sri Lankan Domestic Cricket Thread
    By chaminda_00 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 12-11-2007, 01:01 PM
  2. the goodbye thread
    By cover drive man in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 146
    Last Post: 17-04-2007, 07:08 AM
  3. Formula 1 Prediction Thread - 2007
    By biased indian in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 16-04-2007, 04:47 AM
  4. **Official** South Africa in India Thread
    By Neil Pickup in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 453
    Last Post: 08-12-2004, 07:26 AM
  5. *Official* India in Australia Thread
    By Craig in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2652
    Last Post: 08-01-2004, 07:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •