Page 116 of 269 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166216 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,740 of 4027
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: The British Politics Thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    The government ought only to invest in those businesses which are both beneficial to the economy and unlikely to be invested in by the private sector. And since education is pretty much the definition of such areas, cutting spending to it shouldn't really be a priority.

Spending on schools is pretty much THE supply side economic policy, so it's not a matter of monetarism vs. Keynesianism. In any case, certainly not with the monetarists on the side of the cuts. If Osbourne feels that it's money being spent inefficiently then it's fair enough if he wants to cut it, but personally I'd prefer he reallocated it. I find it difficult to support any cuts in education really, even if there is a deficit. There's a lot more to be said for the positive economic impact of cuts in, say, the postal service.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 09-07-2010 at 10:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Yea but by the time you get the benefits of the education spending Labour will get their 'turn' again and almost certainly decimate the country whilst claiming credit for positive things which they've had sweet FA to do with. It's more the personnel in teaching that is lacking from my experience.

For me we're pretty much screwed anyway with the UK's footballing chav culture. Going over Asia and the culture is completely different towards technology (which would be main area to benefit from spending I guess, but like hell anyone ever got to use the computers at my school - they were just there for show on parents evening), learning and even mental sports. Here there seems to be an ever growing emphasis on physical sport, yet somehow as a nation remaining crap at most of them and still having a large proportion of couch potatoes.

Also on a separate issue the thought of a voting reform with the large proportion of complete ****wits who've been brainwashed into believing they should vote "anyone but the Tories for all of eternity" giving us even more Labour in office is a frightening one. Maybe that would be one belated benefit of increasing education spending - less catastrophic Labour governments.
    Last edited by Scaly piscine; 09-07-2010 at 12:39 PM.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Yea but by the time you get the benefits of the education spending Labour will get their 'turn' again and almost certainly decimate the country whilst claiming credit for positive things which they've had sweet FA to do with. It's more the personnel in teaching that is lacking from my experience.
    Absolutely. There aren't many other professions where you can keep your job with the same level of incompetence as some teachers, and this is something I think everyone here will have experienced. A headteacher tells me this is because the wealthy teaching union backs its members in every dismissal case, which makes sense, but I've never bothered to check that out.

In any case, none of this justifies cutting education spending.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    You can't sack a teacher unless they are touching up the kids or some such pretty much.
    Yet 90% of them are absolutely useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Had many an English teacher who favoured the "let's watch the video rather than read the actual book" approach. Still got at A at GCSE though. B at A level, thanks to me failing one module that was taught by a Media Studies teacher, got straight As in all other modules. ****s.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    Yet 90% of them are absolutely useless.
    Dunno whether you're being serious or not, but that's a load of bollocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Hate it when people make up statistics.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    The government ought only to invest in those businesses which are both beneficial to the economy and unlikely to be invested in by the private sector. And since education is pretty much the definition of such areas, cutting spending to it shouldn't really be a priority.
    Jesus! Forget the need to make education accessible and create opportunities for the disadvantaged. It's not like they require better teachers and more support than those in more advantaged areas.

Basic education is not a privelage. Everyone deserves the opportunity of having a quality education and that's at serious risk of being taken away by the private sector if Government funding is cut.

I can't believe people honestly take the yellow pages approach to Government. There are private hospitals. Does that mean there shouldn't be public hospitals? Awful approach.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

Quote Originally Posted by James90 View Post
    Jesus! Forget the need to make education accessible and create opportunities for the disadvantaged. It's not like they require better teachers and more support than those in more advantaged areas.

Basic education is not a privelage. Everyone deserves the opportunity of having a quality education and that's at serious risk of being taken away by the private sector if Government funding is cut.

I can't believe people honestly take the yellow pages approach to Government. There are private hospitals. Does that mean there shouldn't be public hospitals? Awful approach.
    You do realise you just agreed with what you quoted from me, right?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Probably misread 'shouldn't as 'should'
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

And labelling basic education a right is quite disrespectful. As a rule of thumb, it can't be a "right" if it costs billions of ****ing pounds to people who will never even meet you. It's a privilege, so be more grateful for it.

Apologies. Did read shouldn't as should.

Don't know how the second parts of my comment is "disrespectful". You can disagree but I don't really see your argument. Is voting not a right because elections cost the taxpayer money to hold and you never meet the voter?

I wouldn't say so, no. You can't force millions of people to pay huge chunks of money they worked hard for so that you can do something, then claim it's your "right". That's taking it for granted, IMO.

I don't disagree with the political viewpoint ftr, it's just an attitude that I don't really like.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Absolutely. There aren't many other professions where you can keep your job with the same level of incompetence as some teachers, and this is something I think everyone here will have experienced. A headteacher tells me this is because the wealthy teaching union backs its members in every dismissal case, which makes sense, but I've never bothered to check that out.

In any case, none of this justifies cutting education spending.
    Here's the Panorama program I'm going to watch later:

BBC iPlayer - Panorama: Can I Sack Teacher?

Obviously not seen it yet but I read the stuff about how only 18 teachers have been struck off in 40 years, the rest (thousands upon thousands) are just allowed to resign and then get re-employed at another school. Absolutely disgraceful.

Other documentaries on numeracy/literacy have shown how appalling a lot of teachers are, not even understanding the basic things they teach.
    Last edited by Scaly piscine; 10-07-2010 at 08:51 AM.

cpr
    Students to pay more tax

This would mean students paying for their studies through the tax system, rather than through subsidised loans.

He said high-earning graduates would pay more than those on low incomes.

Err, I pay my student loan through the tax system, and I pay more when my income goes up.

Basically Vinny, your rearranging the furniture and calling it a makeover.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Thread Information